A theory on hill-climbing: MASSIVE 12s LIPO's, FOC, dual 6374, and the c-word

Ya I got the used ones. They’re perfect, they stay in balance both for charging and discharging.

Another point of consideration for my decision to go with these is the cycle lifetime of Lipo batteries. My theory is that by never needing to operate them outside of the 4.1-3.7 V/c range, they’ll last much longer than lower capacity packs for the same amount of riding.

Seems logical, am I wrong?

What Ive read and seen aligns with your statement. Im doing the same with my tattu packs. Im getting my Tattu 6S 9AH pack for near half of MSRP so if I can get a couple hundred cycles out of them Ill be more than happy. Im using 2 in series/ 4 packs in parallel 9Ah 25C packs.

1 Like

As for charging, I use the EV Peak CQ3 100Wx4 hobby charger. It can do 10A per channel max, so it’s not the fastest. I sorta regret not spending a little more for higher quality, mostly because it doesn’t read SOH (to the best of my knowledge). When I become rich and famous, or win the lottery, I’d like to get a Graupner Poleron, but I think the smarter option is a massive BMS. For now, however, the $150 charger is fine. those AS-Bullets make it super easy to connect to charge and wire back to series. I think you’ll like them!!

haha $150 charger is the cheap one. Crazy hobby!

I’ve only really looked at hyperion/icharger/revolectrix, and ended up with a pair of refurb PL8s and a GT1200. And a small pile of those HP DPS-1200FB, some with the ground lift mod to do series 24v DC. In theory I can independently charge all 3 packs at full 1C. The trick is finding a good 12s or 14s (if A123) charger…

Have you seen the Dual PowerLab 8 is on blowout? I honestly have no idea how it compares to the Graupner, but it would be sweet for your 2 packs.

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Products_2/Cellpro-Dual-PowerLab_2/Cellpro-Dual-PowerLab_660

The HP supplies can put out 900w on 120v. Really small, and really high spec, I think they were like $800 new? Around $30 on ebay.

Gonna take a close look at the chargers you mentioned. So different!

If I do a serious build with these packs. I’m probably gonna attempt some kind of mechanical series/parallel lockout port like this

1 Like

Yay, more material to research!! I sent an inquiry to best tech power about the HCX D170v1 too (lol) check it out: http://www.bestechpower.com/communicationbms/BMS-D170V1.html

But that looks EXTREMELY large/expensive

1 Like

Holy crap.

Can this be right, $30, 2 piece minimum?

https://1esource.en.alibaba.com/product/60482152800-219256549/20S_Lipo_BMS_200A_with_SMBUS_I2C_HDQ_communication_protocol.html

I’m scared of BMS, but one with a display or remote communications might talk me in.

I think that’s either the price for 30, or it’s fake. Either way, it’s for 20s.

It seems to me that a bms with communication and data logging is the best possible way to monitor exact power consumption and state of health for the cells

What’s the c-word

1 Like

Lol, depends who you ask!

In this context, it refers to discharge rate

1 Like

Oh ok. I figured it wasn’t “culinary” :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hey @PatRocks, so I’m curious to know your thoughts on these 20Ah lipos from HK (these are multistar) though they’re 10C, that’s still 200A continuous discharge (though undoubtedly this is lower in practice) . Would it be wise to purchase 3 of these to achieve long range, high power and good life (keeping at 4.1-3.7V)? I ask because these ones are super cheap compared to new gens tattu but I’m hoping would give similar benefits.

Lipos can be found here (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multistar-high-capacity-4s-20000mah-multi-rotor-lipo-pack.html)

Personally, I would never waste the money on multi-star batteries. They have a pretty bad reputation for quality, and although they claim high capacity for a low price, you’d be better off with a higher-rated lower capacity pack for the same cost

Time to save up my pennies for the Gens Ace Tattus then. Damn this sweet, sweet hobby.

Also, to forewarn you, I’m looking at your build, really digging it and also looking to it for inspiration for my board’s upgrade. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Compliment accepted!! If you have questions about it, I’m always glad to help

As far as the gens go, there are alternative options. Plenty of reputable manufacturers out there, and to be honest, 22 amp hour pack is overkill for almost anybody. Check out @Namasaki 's Hi Power 10s lipo with BMS thread

Granted they’re overkill, but I do admire the options it provides. I’ve sunk about 900 miles into my board since building it in May and one of my first world problems is capacity. I see about 10 miles worth of road per charge.

I’ll explore other reputable brands and see how much capacity I can get for small-ish form factor (read fits under 40" board).

I can’t seem to find Namasaki’s post, do you have a link handy? Otherwise I’ll hone my search skills lol.

1 Like

Here it is!

1 Like

Aaahahah looks like this ammo can enclosure idea is gonna work out!

3s 5000mah in there for scale :slight_smile:

A bit tight for the 29" spud lol

@PatRocks are your packs all nice and flat? Mine have some varying degrees of curvature. Gonna check IR and capacity. I can charge them at 40A, but I’m limited to 100w discharge, 3 hours and change.

3 Likes

Ya, mine all look brand new. I hope everything works out great! On 12s those will be unreal.

Cheers, and good luck!!