A theory on hill-climbing: MASSIVE 12s LIPO's, FOC, dual 6374, and the c-word

This looks familiar lol.

for soldering small wires together, I usually clamp the soldering iron in one of these

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-3-4-quarter-inch-articulated-vacuum-vise-3311.html

Then flux and tin the wires, then bring them together.

1 Like

they’re only as long as they are in the pic for convenience. They were much, much shorter lengths than that when the final pack was assembled. less than a quarter inch between tabs. And the jumpers between the two 6S sides were actually 10 gauge because they were a few inches long, and 10 awg throughout the rest of the board as well.

2 Likes

Okay, so I am starting a new phase of evolution in my build: CAPACITORS!!!

Everything I’ve read suggests that adding additional capacitors inline between batteries and esc’s is good. Not only for smoothing ripple current, or current spikes, improving r/f signal clarity, and extending esc lifetimes, but also for supplying more power on demand!! So I’m giving it a go.

I found a ridiculously high performance cap pack from EMPERFORMANCE for $55 on ebay. At 23.5 Farads, and an operating voltage of 50V, I think I have a good candidate :laughing:

Gonna finish up the connectors tonight after work. Super excited to see the potential (some pun intended)

4 Likes

Could you link some good reads you’ve found? This has piqued my interest.

I’ll try, but the conclusion I’ve come to is derived from a lot of little forum posts that aren’t entirely conclusive. Within THIS forum, I saw a post from both @Nowind and @okp (i think) which mentioned capacitors… I’ll update this reply shortly In this thread,

And this https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?975333-ESC-capacitors-What-do-they-do

…I found enough information to warrant a personal experiment. Various search results and links which I didn’t think to keep track of until now, are what lead me to purchase a cap-pack.

At this point, the only thing I’m not sure of, is if a capacitor will add to the performance capabilities

2 Likes

And this:

Shit, does it even matter if using FOC? seems like the spikes are from trapezoidial commutation… back to research for me!!

1 Like

I was looking into the capacitors as well. My thoughts were it would help with the voltage sag if you punched the throttle. Beyond that ???

Update: Capacitors are in. No noticeable change in performance (as I predicted), however, it seems it may be a little more crisp in responsiveness… maybe placebo effect :sweat_smile:. After thinking about it all day at work (when I should have been working lol), I don’t think this cap-pack will make a noticeable difference in “power-on-demand” because the capabilities of my batteries are so insane already: 22Ah 25c. I think that the main benefit I will take from the CP is longer fbox life, and better remote reception (maybe). I feel as though the configuration that would benefit the most from adding a huge capacitor bank ( 23.5 Capitol-Farads) is one with limited amp-delivery. More to follow soon…

1 Like

Actually, I misspoke. The performance IS WAY different. I think my belts would break before the acceleration :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Louie can’t keep up

1 Like

So for sure a noticable difference, any telemetry data?

1 Like

Telemetry data coming soon! Just have to find and fix my Bluetooth connector.

Just a preliminary test: batteries charged to 3.85-V/c. This data is from 1 of 2 independent controllers (servo-splitter). Depending on the accuracy of the information from the vesc monitor, I’m looking at what may be 69.8 amps from the batteries, and around 1.5 volts of sag! Looks good to me…

1 Like

So, after due consideration, I have decided to venture into the 12s Realm. What this means is 976.2 Watt hours, and I’m both excited and nervous.

The packs I will be using have different amounts of Cycles on them, so to keep that all balanced I will be implementing a best tech BMS. Soon after I have this working, I plan to venture into resin infusion carbon fiber for an enclosure!! At the very least this will be interesting

1 Like

bit late to the party :wink:

AMASS do a XT150 & a AS150, the latter have a larger bullet ratted to higher current…

I got some german cap banks on a pcb with a couple solder buckets on them. I think of them like insurance for my speed controllers and consistent Rx voltage to help limit the chance of a brown out. While I enjoy going fast I don’t enjoy crashing. So anything I can do… I do. & In a round about way the more battery you have the more ampacity you have, so you have more capacity for positive inductive current spikes and they are the ones that kill electronics.

1 Like

Holy smokes I missed all the recent action too. Pat what have you done lol.

Those poor little BMS with 50ma balancing capacity ain’t gonna make a dent in your huge lipos. I think. Maybe weeks to correct any significant out of balance? Don’t stop checking on the packs post-bms-installation.

12s will blow up your skirt for sure. Increasing voltage increases the ability to deliver amps. Everything gets more intense.

I keep just reading and fantasizing. I gotta do more building…

Photos please sir.

2 Likes

YGE caps 9 http://www.yge.de/en/accessories/

2 Likes

Well, the Hcx-D223V1 has 126mAh balance current, so maybe a little better. I don’t think the cells will drift too far out of balance, but I want to have consistent management to reign in the drift.

@Cobber what’s the farad count on those caps? I couldn’t agree more about them being an insurance policy. There’s no discernible downside to having them IMO. Maybe the space they occupy…? Lol that’s going to be an issue for me soon

Lol, yes, i feel that way far too often. How is your project going? Are you running those tattu’s yet?

not as big as yours dude

Modul Typ 9 • 9 pieces 390 µF ultra Low ESR Elkos • Operating voltage: Max. 63V (bis 15s LiPo) • Solder bucket for cables up to 8 mm² • Measurement: 23 x 66 x 33 mm

the rc guys add one cap of the above size per ~10cm of wire in your system: battery>esc

the smaller caps discharge faster, but yours have 8x capacity… lol :muscle:

1 Like

Haha!! I love overkill. I just love it. … the way this guy loves helmets:

4 Likes