A Final Word on Bypassing BMS for Discharge

Hey I might not be @makevoid but maybe I can help with some things as well.

There some things you need to understand first. Battery amps are not motor amps. Means if your motors run at 70A than it doesn´t mean your draw 140A from your battery.

Secondly your battery doesn´t draw 100A, your battery is able to supply 100A continues.

As you will set everything up with focboxes you can set the BAT max value to 50A per focbox, which would mean 100A from your battery. A good BMS for discharge in this case would be the D596 which is a 90A BMS. If you worry that BMS could cut out as 90A is lower than 100A than just set your max current in your focbox to 45A per esc. But even at 50A the BMS shouldn´t cut out as the 90A are continues values and it´s pretty unlikely that you will draw 90A continues from your battery under normal circumstances.

3 Likes

agree on what Andy87 said!

OK, but things get confusing for me when I consider that I have 2 of these 70a motors and trying to guess at how much juice they’re going to need. I’m using a focbox unity which specifies 80a discharge. But what will these motors be wanting to draw under various circumstances? By one calculation I figured that giving them 50a each should be plenty, but that’s more than the focbox can deliver. If they’re limited to 40a each is that still going to be enough?

I’m pretty light at 65kg, but the area I skate in is somewhat hilly and sometimes I also tow a trailer which can have around 30kg in it, so I’d need something that can comfortably climb hills with around 100kg load.

don´t worry about that, that should be possible without issues if your gearing is something between 1:4 , 1:5

As I said , motor amps not bat amps and you can set all in the unity. if you set your unity up for 80A batt max and 70A for each motor you will have plenty of torque and all parameters in your system are on point.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks for the explanation!

1 Like

Come to think of it gearing is one thing I hadn’t even considered, my board by default has 15T on the motor and 38T on the wheel, which I guess puts the gearing at 1:2.5 which is way out of your range, is this going to be a problem? I’m guessing here that if anything this would give me a big safety margin and I could actually increase the ratio safely?

sorry my bad, I thought you with 8" pneumatics. with urethane wheels things look different. Maybe somebody more experienced with urethane wheels can suggest you which gearing would fit for you best. your motors are 149kV and your wheels are which diameter?

Yes I am pneumatic, 8" MBS (200mm). I probably won’t ever put street wheels onto this rig.

than 36 teeth wheel pulley is too less. you want 60th minimum with a 15th motor pulley. better 66th or 72th.

1 Like

https://www.evolveskateboards.com.au/collections/all/products/at-drive

Problem solved! Thanks heaps for your advice! (Although now I look at that picture I think I might already have these on my board, I had written down 38T but I think thats for the street setup which I don’t use…)

Which bms did you go with and how did you bypass for charge only?