3D Printed Hub for 6inch pneumatics on caliber trucks

Thanks will see what I can find.

this project is awesome!

1- this pulley is for a 15mm belt width?

2- which deck are you using? do you recommend it for this kind of wheels?

thanks

I think you can use it with a 15mm belt - but depending on the tire it might not. You have to measure it for the parts you use.

I tried to use a Santa Cruz Armageddon deck - but wheelbite is an issue. I now ordered Torqueboards new wider trucks (thanks @rwxr) and cut some wood off the deck. Letā€™s see :smiley:

1 Like

also i want to ask the infill of the hub is 100% ?

you mean on mine? You can print them whatever you like. I did not specify that when printing - I gave the files to my ā€œguyā€ and got the printed hubs back.

The newer versions of my billet hubs are significantly offset, helping with the wheelbite issue. So many variables thoughā€¦Deck shape/Truck width/baseplate degrees/Truck mount height.

Just get it figured out and ride!!!

They seem to work perfectly fine. @torqueboards 218mm trucks worked wonders for the wheelbite issues I had with standard caliber trucks. Thanks @rwxr for hooking me up with them and I am so glad they finally arrived :blush:

I still need to find the right gearing (the picture is with an 149kv SK3 at 20t to 35t at a 6S4P Liion pack) but carving was super nice and soooo smooth.

9 Likes

Is the rubber soft enough for the wheels or is it a bit stiff?

They feel quite stiff but they need to be because of the rectangular shape - probably also helps with wear

1 Like

@Maxid, @L3chef - I love what you guys have done here. I recently decided to upgrade to pneumatic wheels but got pretty bummed out when I found out that pretty much the only options were super expensive or super terrible, then I found this!

Iā€™ve got a 3d printer so this is a no brainer for me, but Iā€™d like to remix your design a little if your cool with it to add a bit of an offset as I think it will work better with my system (Iā€™ll post files if anybody is interested). Iā€™ll also be printing it in PETG so we will see how that goes.

2 quick questions for you -

1. It seems like going with a 2" wide wheel was pretty important for you. Why? Have you noticed a difference?

2. Any updates from you or @L3chef on how these are working out? anything you wish you could change? Any potential issues you see?

Thanks again for your great work!

I was looking for 6" tires and found the 2" wide ones and it just looked so much beefier than the thin skike wheels. In the end I am glad becaise they also feel great and seem to be much more durable than the skikes.

Sure go ahead and redesign them. Would love to have more options and an improved design. If you do you might also want to adjust the through holes so that it fits the spoke design (so do 5 instead of 6 through holes). I donā€™t think that one screw will make a difference. The reason why there are 6 is because I started with a 6 spoke design and later changed it but had the rings already printed so did not change it.

1. When I started this project I aimed for offroad tires 200*50mm.
  2. I havenā€™t made them available for the public yet,so more testing needs to be done. With my 75kg and semi rough roads they have hold up just fine. Canā€™t see any wear and tear after ~500km

Do you talk about tyres or your hubs? If itā€™s about tyres please tell me which you use :grin:

Talking about hubs.

:joy: alright, nice!. Thought you dicovered some magic tyres

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the good info. Glad to hear that they are still holding up so well for you guys, @L2chef -500km is super impressive! I realized that another advantage of the wider tires it that it lets you keep them at a lower psi and achieve the same stiffness as the contact patch of the wheel is larger, which ultimately puts less stress on the hubs. I just ordered a set of those tires.

Noted on the bolt pattern change. Iā€™ll give it a try.

Two more questions for you guys -

1. Have you had any problems with vibrations at high speeds or imbalance in the wheels?

2. What pressure are you actually running your wheels at? @maxid I know that you said you tested them up to 3.5 bars, but is that what you are actually running at? it seems really high for this width of tire.

Hi Maxid,

Youā€™re hubs looks very nice, But i want to know if it possible to use those wheels Link

no idea - might fit but somehow I doubt it. Without the inflation the tire needs to fit perfectly or the hub needs to be shaped differently to press the tire in place.

@Maxid How are your hubs holding up? I am thinking of getting them printed in SLS Nylon .

They are awesome - by gluing the bearings with epoxy I was able to eliminate the slight wobble they had previously (probably due to the tolerances not being quite right when printing. Otherwise they handled the abuse very well. I was drifting last week on sandy ground which means a lot of lateral forces and they worked perfectly fine. Also pneumatics on an esk8 are the only way for me from now on - canā€™t imagine why I should go back to urethane plus the 6 inch wheels seem like the perfect size. Only the pulley needs more teeth for better torque.

1 Like