3D Printed Hub for 6inch pneumatics on caliber trucks

Yep, squish it like a bicycle tire. Hard maybe, but not impossible.

The 10mm offset bearing part. That I didn’t think of. I have an idea that might work, but it raises complexity higher than I would like for easy to cut plans.

I’ll experiment more and maybe make a new thread. I don’t want to hijack the thread dedicated to plastic hubs with my heretical metal ideas.

AliExpress tubes and hubs shipped a while ago, got PETG filament in yesterday and the prints have begun. I love this color, it’s like the old neon Lego color.

5 walls, 65% infill, 2mm tops and bottoms, these things are rock solid and about as hefty as I’d ever want them to be… Estimated to be just under my 1kg roll for all four hubs. Too much? I don’t think so!

I drew everything up in CAD based on where my mounts are, pulley, motor shaft length and everything to ensure a good fit. I had to extend out the pulley teeth to 23mm to get a good fit and enough space between the end of my motor shaft and the offset hub core/tire. Because of this, I added a spot for a third bearing that will lock in tight with the other two and just fit on the TB218 hangars.

First print: 20180726_17152820180726_17144820180726_171251

@ptowncruiser hubs.

6 Likes

Yea, so 75% infill and 2mm walls might have been a bit overkill. Dropping that down to 50% infill for the next print.

Hatchbox ABS 215c print, 80c bed, 2mm walls, .15mm layer height. Seems quite strong and fits the belt perfectly.

2 Likes

What motor mount is this that has idler…?

@elmz message @marcmt88 he has dual idler motor mounts for sale for most trucks

That’s a solid ABS print… I’ve only used inland ABS and find warping to always be my issue. I’ve tried the fake build Tak, and glass, glue stick, abs slurry… For smaller prints, glass + gluestick + 105 - 110C bed works great, but I always worry printing larger parts (smaller work great), because I’ll come back after 8 hours and find prints warped so much more than they were (0) at 2-3 hours in.

I’ve stopped using ABS basically. My enclosure works great to keep ambient high enough that the printer itself is extremely uncomfortable to touch for longer than a second, hot air all around. I’ve moved to using nylon for high strength prints exclusively… Along with this new 3D Solutech PETG that has been amazing, with zero warping.

I commend you for being able to push CF ABS on such a large print successfully! What brand CF ABS is that?

1 Like

This is normal abs. Cf abs scratches up your nozzle and makes it larger after a few prints and essentially hates your machine.

I’d honestly try making your prints cooler. Sounds like your bed is too hot. You need the edge where it’s slightly melty, but sticky melty, not dripping melty.

I do this with no cover over my machine. I closed the ac vent to be safe though.

I’d love to try more exotic material like petg and nylon, but I already bought this and my printer maxes out at 100c on the plate. Abs is already pushing it quite a bit.

After days of printing and still more to go, I can’t wait to bolt these things on.

20180728_19222120180728_192107

6 Likes

I just bought 8 tyres and tube from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6X2-tyre-6-Inch-Scooter-Tire-Inner-Tube-Set-Electric-Scooter-Wheel-Chair-Truck-Electric/32840513077.html for $84(shipped). I am excited. I am going to send hubs for 3D printing(SLS) in Nylon(SLS, from shapeways). I got my pulleys printed from there too 2 years ago and they are like new even today.

1 Like

Before I try and change Maxid’s design to enable easy tire change, I though it would be nice to have the exact reproduction in solidworks. So I took measurements from the STL file and got this. @Maxid, would you mind if I shared this? I think people can use this as a starting point. Any modification I make to this design, I’ll share it as well. I am using a parametric pulley that I designed a long time ago(it can be found in a post here)

Capture1 Capture2 Capture3

1 Like

Sure go ahead - I would have uploaded the ipt files if people had asked. What do you mean by easy tire change?

Files are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1q9GisJy4tHN1JiSlZubmVpaUk?usp=sharing

By easy tire change I meant, not having to remove the whole pulley assembly if I had to change the tire. One has to disassemble the hub with pulley for tire change in your case right? Or maybe I am confused

I love this projector. I’m just started to use my diy longboard. I have 230kv motor 12s lipo and orangatang 80mm wheels. It runs great but gravel on street is pain in the a… So I find this great project. I have 3d printer so I can printed this hubs. I have few questions about this hubs. What length of belt you are use? My trucks are https://m.zumiez.com/compound-9-5-reverse-matte-black-longboard-truck.html Are they goid? I have 15t htd 5m motor pulley. And do I need any special motor mount for this wheels? @Maxid I like yours enclosure for battery. Did you printed it? Can you send me stl? Please

Anyone?
I really need some help with this. I have to order belt and know what kind of motor mount is needed.

You need to know motor and wheel pulley teeth and distance between motor and truck axle to calculate the belt length. If you are going to use an idler it’s going to be a bit more complicated.

https://www.bbman.com/belt-length-calculator/

Well if you already have one hub printed. Take a flexible sewing tape measure and wrap it where the belt will fit. Get one size up and down just to be safe.

I will do that. Tnx for reply

Guys when I was getting the 6x2 tires, I also noticed a complete set(tire, tube and hub) for $20. It needs a 8mm shaft with free length of at least 35mm. That makes it perfect for TB218. Mounting a pulley would be super easy using the 3 protruding bolts. I put it on a 8mm shaft and can confirm that there was no noticeable wobble. I ordered it on the 3rd and received it on 18th.

Why haven’t been people using this combination? MVIMG_20180818_223356 MVIMG_20180818_233203MVIMG_20180818_224437!

1 Like

This is sick. If my 3D printed PETG cores/Nylon rims hub assemblies kick the can, I will be looking to these for sure. 3 bolts? Easy pulley mount!

Separate thought: I need to share some changes I’ve made for my hubs based on one of the designs in this thread that have worked well for me.

I got it from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/free-shipping-6X2-tyre-6-Inch-Scooter-Tire-Inner-Tube-Set-Electric-Scooter-Wheel-Chair/32840489792.html.

Actually I just 3 more(to add to the 1 that I got for testing) and got it for $17.28 each(shipped)

Yeah, please share the changes. Looking forward to it. BTW, what trucks do you use? I still have to buy one with 35mm free shaft.