3D Printed Enclosures - Inspiration Thread

Not everyone is of this train of thought. Many people fit their stuff into enclosures and bolt it to their board. Some manufacturers also follow this approach. A 3d printed enclosure though might not be the best option if you go this way.

Give it a layer cfk and it’s the best or print thinner and make some more layers;)

they’re doing it wrong.

alright i’m done making these wildly unhelpful comments :rofl:

Were you ever able to share the files? I’m looking to build something and being a newbie, it’d be awesome to checkout.

I don’t suppose you could share your files?

Have you had a look through these?

For sure. The issue I have (had?) was being able to modify it to fit my battery pack. I think I got it down though. My board curves, and I can’t figure out how to modify the enclosure properly to curve, so I’ll probably just add a little extra insulation around the ends to make up for it. I’ll give it a shot. In the end I would love to have a perfect model for the type of board I have but that will need to wait.

I think I am good. I was able to modify one and this should fit.

im working on this right now

since i wanted something boosted like

2 Likes

I’m designing/building my own 3d-printer enclosure. Keen to know how thick you guys are making your walls. My prototype is about 2mm and that’s “ok”. Just interested in clearance/size at the moment.

I’m printing in PLA at the moment. Haven’t tried ABS yet (on purpose at least).

3-5mm thick, depends on the filament

1 Like

Figured that if I’m not using it to support any weight (ie mount batteries etc on the board) then I wouldn’t have to be too concerned with thickness/strength.

I went with 4/5mm. PLA is going to crack very fast… Watch your printing orientation too.

I initially printed with the “bottom” face on the bed. I think I saw someone recommending printing with the “bottom” face vertical? Sound right?

I’m not sure why it would be stronger like that. Haven’t learned about the effect of “grain” in 3D prints yet.

I can’t picture that in my mind right now :smiley: But it has sth. to do with layer adhesion and tension

2 Likes

Pity. Printing with the bottom face on the [glass] bed gives a glass-like finish (no sh!t).

I’m using 2.4mm in mine, no cracks at all, printed with ABS, the only place that’s wearing down in on the screws since I open and close the enclosure a lot

4 Likes

Should be 4 mm here, used glasfiber to reinforce from the inside.

Also used these washers to protect the holes 4373021

6 Likes

Cool. I plan to use cotter pins/clevis pins. image image

1 Like

Hey, I’m preparing to print a custom enclosure using ABS and afterwards I want to coat it with fiberglass or carbon fiber to strengthen it. I don’t have a vacuum former, and I’d like to avoid having to make one since this is a one-off. Does anyone have any particular pointers for this? How thick should I print? How many layers of fiberglass should I apply? Inside, outside, or both?