3 wheel Frankenboard| C8080 70kv| 12s| VESC| MBS Matrix| Custom 9 layer vacuum press

Bitter sweet update:

New 5 minute video with some pole cam action shots.

That is the length of the entire ride though. A few strands in the motor decided to give up and throw themselves in between the rotating assembly :expressionless:

I will be contacting the chinese manufacturer to see about warranty. No more riding videos for a bit. I might be ordering a new motor in the meantime. I want to learn to rewind a motor. But this is sooner than expected.

2 Likes

I just ordered a replacement motor from Alien Power Systems in the UK. Hopefully be up and running again by June. :slight_smile:

http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/brushless-motors/c8080-sensored-outrunner-brushless-motor-70kv-5000w/

1 Like

Do you think it’ll just happen again?

I sure hope not, but possible. I am not going to modify/shorten the motor wires this time. Maybe heat from soldering the overkill lash splices so close to the motor effected things. I will wire up the hall sensors this time, maybe better motor communication will help. Maybe slightly more conservative amp maximums in bldc tool as well. We will see…

I guess if it happens again you could just cut those fray wires. Wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. You could try to heat up the stator and coils so you can anneal the copper. I’d just take the motor apart to not ruin the magnets and heat it up to a decent temp. It’ll let the copper relax a little more.

Or maybe try adding some type of glue… Not sure about that tho

Yeah, I will have more time in the fall to dig into the problem motor. I have a lot more reading to do in that department. We are also in the middle of planning a road trip/move out west to the the rocky mountains, B.C interior in July. Time is my issue at the moment.

I am worried that once I get the problem motor apart that there will be damaged magnets as well from the wire grinding around in between.

Wow, this project is just awesome. I keep flipping back to check in, but wanted to show some love for this thing finally. Looks like a blast and it’s super unique. That board is just beautiful. Keep it up man!

My eye sensors tell me you were going at least 25-30mph. Looks smooth too. Too bad on the motor, hopefully you get it back up and running soon!

Very cool project . You’ve inspired me to build something similar . What is actually the driving behavior of the new board compared to the old? is it better worse? I know unfortunately the engine is broken and you can not drive. what does your feeling say? and particularly interested me is the new design lighter than the old ( 25kg ) one ?

Thx @AbrownMN I appreciate the love :sunglasses: Cheers

It is definitely smoother than urethane. The roads can be pretty nasty here in Toronto. The pneumatic tires add way more confidence to the ride.

Yeah? Nice one. Are you planning to build the board from scratch, or modify off the shelf?

This board feels better. It is four or five inches shorter than the last and the turning radius is noticeably improved. The smaller, lighter drive wheel means it snaps back edge to edge quicker. That being said, I won’t be pressing anymore decks that are so flexible. It feels like some of the steering response is lost to twisting flex. Chain tension is also affected. The next deck will have some carbon fiber. I have not weighed it yet, but after carrying it, I would say at least 5kg lighter. I will have to borrow/buy a scale…

Yes I build all by my selve the code of control, till the construction of the battery. But I am planning a inbody design (battery in the board ) . The board will be controlled via a nunchuk Wii Bluetooth controller . But there is still much work to do …

I also found this “thing”: http://www.triborgskateboards.com/

@jaybird, where did you get the 16t pinion? Did you have to make it fit the 8mm shaft?

Wow @WickAlpha, that sounds like a very technical build. Will it be running 18650s? Have you started a build thread yet? I am looking forward to following your build.

I have seen the triborg before. From the videos it seems to ride nicely, but zero points for the aluminum brick styling. There has to be at least a little form in with the function.

really awesome project, also love the dog rc car videos :grinning:

@FLATLINEcustoms I ordered both my pinions from electricscooterparts.com (16t) Part # SPR-2516

They both came with 8mm bore, but the tolerance was tight, needed a little sanding to fit.

1 Like

Thanks @whitepony :slight_smile: The dog r/c stuff is really fun, just hard to find spots to do it. (off leash laws)

Are you a fan of the Deftones? :thumbsup: White Pony album.

I have received the new replacement motor from Alien Power Systems. But I have not had the time to do anything with it yet.

I do have another R/C dog video that I haven’t posted here yet. I made it using my new Runcam 2 (720@120fps) So much better than the old gopro I was using. The car handles better now and the slow motion is sweet… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XgDphx6gBI

1 Like

Where did you buy the motor ??