2018 ESK8CON PLEASANTON CALIFORNIA, USA - Thread #2

PSA:

After more conversing with some of the representatives in charge of the fairgrounds, they don’t want us racing inside the buildings, and when racing outside we would need additional security and insurance, all of which is ridiculously expensive.

Earlier in this thread, certain individuals mentioned that it would be better to simply find an area where we could bring our own materials and host this for free, and at this point I believe that this is simply the better option. There are many areas in Pleasanton where we could do this, however I do believe that there are probably better locations in the Bay Area or elsewhere. Does anyone from this area have any suggestions? @evoheyax @sofu @squishy654

1 Like

Kind of off the wall but what about Lake Tahoe. Plenty of bike paths and trails on the North, South, East and West shores and if the timing is right not a lot of crowds and its not too hot yet. Each side of the lake has unique things to offer and plenty of public space to meet. Good excuse to head up to the lake!

5 Likes

This area also has a underground DH scene with outlaw races, they would be a good source for advice on such operations.

I know of more than a few places for such an event, between the bay and Tahoe there’s many places. Long bike paths like the iron horse or the sac river trail, both can harbor long group rides without car traffic. We have mt diablo and tam for uphill, Donner pass, Tahoe, all would be awesome venues…

1 Like

you need much more than 13,8k. calculate about 20k minimum.

you need advertising and multimedia things…

better safe than sorry

In reality, you need nothing but a place and a date…you put all of us in one spot at one time and it’s a convention…no cost at all, we all ride at our own risk all the time, now do it together, invite people…done…oh and take pictures…

8 Likes

agree 100%. Id make the drive from SD! :+1:t3:

1 Like

Sacramento has outstanding weather for it, a 32 mile long bike trail that’s legal for eskates, a convention center, international airport, cheap hotels, expensive hotels, bunch of crazy one wheeler people, close to the giant group of riders in the bay area and centrally located. The more expensive option is the iron horse trail, it’s straight and boring, closer to the bay, I don’t know the legalities and I’m not on speaking terms with the rangers like I am in Sacramento. And it’s in some of the most expensive area in the bay area, so there’s that…

We have a local rider group on Facebook Called “California Electric Skateboarding”, it’s mostly the greater norcal area, Sacramento, chico, davis and so on…the bay area eskaters have a super active and defined group in San Fransisco and they have group rides almost every day when the weather is nice…but riding there is a little harder for people from out of town who don’t know what to expect and they only shut down the roads in the park on Sundays, otherwise it’s a hill filled danger fest for the inexperienced in San Fran traffic…although there is an established group of guides…

In the mid summer months long safe bike trails that can ackomidate large groups of riders actually doing something or going somewhere besides circles in a parking lot are very rare, I’ve looked all over for them and Sacramento, the east bay area, Chico there’s a few rare places…

I’d have to dive into info about Tahoe, but the riders I do know of there, bomb the hills on the hwys and roads…not really conducive to a group eskate ride, but there might be some longer bike trails open in the summer months. The Sierra got hit with a late snow storm and just beginning to recover, the water is high and we might get more spring showers, but we will begin to dry out quick.

The bridge work in Sacramento will be done by June opening the trail back up to downtown. We’ve been cut off from some of the best routes due to an old ass bridge getting updated…They cut off some of the most important part of my route for about 5 months and I’ve been hating it…it would be be nice to smash it with a ton of people once is opens back up again, it’s beautiful smooth bike path through river front parks and history, curves enough to make it fun and long enough to challenge anyone because it goes all the way from downtown Sacramento for 30 miles past hundreds of parks and sights all the way east to Folsom…

The Jedediah Smith Memorial Trail (or American River Bike Trail) is a paved multi-use pathway that runs between the confluence of the Sacramento River with the American River, just north of downtown Sacramento, CA, and Beal’s Point at Folsom Lake, north of Folsom, CA. The trail is 32 miles (51 km) long, and is used as a major recreational destination, as well as a commuter artery for cyclists. The trail is considered one of the longest paved purpose-built bike trails in the country. The trail is maintained by the County of Sacramento and is painted with mile markers placed at every half-mile increment.

I am going to grab one of the construction workers the next time I pass the thing and ask them if they are on schedule… https://sacbike.org/bridge-closes-for-5-months-without-detours/

1 Like

I’m really wondering how many people are going to go to this now. This weekend’s memorial ride in SoCal had like 10 people, I think 7 were from that area who all rode Evolve. Not saying anything negative about the people who didn’t show due to location change resulting in a 3 hour+ drive round trip.

@MoeStooge How many people showed up at the Colorado gokart track race? It looked kinda empty from your video clips.

2 Likes

Had 8 racers. Numbers we’re thin but was a great facility and I think they are on to something with the indoor kart track. They rigged it with the owner to run their series on Sun morning before business hours. Had a good time and I believe once they get a race day format figured out it will take off. Oh yeah, urethane surprised me and had relatively decent grip on the kart tracks abrasive surface.

5 Likes

I wanted to go but jerry bailed because of location change , so I had to bail :disappointed_relieved:

Just throwing this out there,

Loacation: Minneapolis, MN (bit more centrally located) When: ??? (X-games)

Places/trails: Long runs -Soo Line trail (paved) -Paul Bunyon trail (paved) Short runs (3mi loop) -5 city lakes with dual paved paths -10,000 other lakes most with paths

Facilities: -indoor/outdoor go-kart tracks (nw burbs) -skate parks (public and private) -some smaller city ski hills (good for mt board) -great conferencing areas near hotels (Example, mpls convention center)

Transportation: -International airport -light rail (airport to downtown +nw burbs) -Uber / buses / bus/limo rentals

Planned right this event would piggy back the X-Games (which is planned next 2yrs here in mpls).

What better exposure than the X-Games???

EDIT: Did I mention (skate) vendors might already be there😜

3 Likes

Any Progress??

1 Like

Yeah I really would like this to happen as well. Any chance that this event will actually take place this summer? I’m willing to make the long drive.

1 Like

Not at a moment - I’m caught up with a few things at home. Between finding a place to host, getting the word out, and somehow getting vendors to show up, I’m going to have to step out

I think I saw someone contacted the Braille house about an event…that would be a good location.

1 Like

I’m interested in getting this going. Can I suggest we make a committee and let’s meet in person and break up the responsibility. One person can not do this alone. I’m willing to help. I would love to see this take off. This is how Comicon started in a one room basement now it’s multi city. If anyone is interested in forming a committee to try and get this off the ground PM me and we can find a meeting place. Let’s start with that first. I don’t have a lot of money but I have a very special set of skills. I live in N.Calif. Bay area on the peninsula.

2 Likes