2018 ESK8CON PLEASANTON CALIFORNIA, USA - Thread #2

Yeah, I’m a bit bias to Vegas since I live here. But, Vegas is a playground town that serves its visitors well.

2 Likes

Thank you for all the groundwork @anorak234…I am not sure where we go from here but the silence is deafening!

2 Likes

@Alphamail with the price of renting the space looking to be at least 10K, I am trying to find potential supporters who are willing to back the event. If you have connections to anyone who might be willing to contribute, I’d welcome any names.

1 Like

I still stand by what I said above but I would like to add that an entity that can drop 2K to 10K on such an event will want to control the message and the dialog to maximize their investment.

I am so much more in favor of a builders, designers, tinkerer, hobbyist, enthusiasts, networking event that embraces the vibe of eSk8.builders. I personally have very little interest is seeing pre-packaged completes from the present and recent past, I want to help shape what is to come and see people realize their dreams to build the new generation of eSk8 gear.

It is likely that several new companies would forged from attending such an event.

7 Likes

I would further add that donations, while they may not be large, would go along way twords getting this thing going. Something for everyone that wants to see this happen to think about.

1 Like

:+1::clap::grinning:

1 Like

Descrimination in the esk8 world too…wow!

1 Like

More a alignment of skills and interests Brian… You are on eSk8.builders maybe you should hang out at the .club site?

1 Like

How do you know they don’t want to learn to build also? Further more I’m a grown man and can hang out where I wish. If they weren’t interested I’m sure they wouldn’t come. I don’t think the community is that big to outcast people just because they didn’t build their boards!

1 Like

I apologize, I meant to include enthusiasts

no worries, I just think all esk8ters should be invited if they’re not interested they won’t come but you never know who’s interested in learning. I’m a big guy 260 lbs and was researching boards for like a year and pretty much all the production boards limits were 240-250 or I would have gotten one as I didn’t know about this forum. It was a eye opener and I have met some cool people on here. I also met a bunch of cool people at my first group ride in San Francisco. I was the only one on a DIY and they loved my build and invite me on all of their rides.

4 Likes

…then, certainly they will love me when I finish my two builds and hit the streets of this city of lunatics! :yum:

4 Likes

No one’s saying everyone that rides an esk8 shouldn’t come, just that presenters should be builders and DIY should be rep’d. We just don’t wanna see a bunch of completes, that’s all.

1 Like

now that makes more sense.

@Brianr058 @Cobber

Here’s the basic breakdown: It’s looking to be at least 12K to get this thing going. That’s a lot more money than I’m used to working with and that’s a lot of money to have to make up. Ticket sales are going to be 20$ a person, which means that the easiest way to recoup that 12K is if 600+ people show up (all profits go towards next year). If we can get more people to show by inviting a larger group of people and not limiting to DIY, that’s exactly what we’re going to do. That being said:

1. vendors will largely be DIY or smaller companies.
  2. there will be exceptions for known companies that have sold or are selling both DIY parts and completes (I.e. enertion, diyeboard, etc)
  3. if we need to fill the rest of the space, it’ll be filled with any food or skate vendors we can find.

And finally… nobody should be worried about people who want to compete and have complete boards, because all of the DIY boards would leave them in the dust anyways. For that reason, I see it as illogical to exclude them

3 Likes

a bit more previously

And what ever total you come up with now you will exceed. So plan on having a additional 20% of funds for contingencies as a minimum.

Have you got anyone to put a number on insurance yet? I would expect it to be thousands if you can find someone open to the cause. Thing is soon as you say it has never been done before you might as well add another “0” to that thousands figure. (So the following figures are overoptimistic)

I think a realistic figure for viability of a event this size would be around $20k, so at $20 a ticket that is 1000 punters needed to be viable.

Has anyone ever come close to doing anything on this forum that involved 1000 people in one geographic area?

What is the largest group buy or ride someone stateside has organized for example?

I dropped a certain area of the space that we won’t need, should save money.

With motor racing and sport in Australia the cheapest way to get insurance is to form a club and have the insures all be members.

For example as a member and qualified coach under the Australian Weightlifting Association my fee is only $20pa and I am insured to coach Olympic lifts. Even with a university degree as a individual PT this would cost me $1200.

Motorsport is similar…

might be something worth exploring when trying to cross that bridge :thinking:

lol, we could go to AWS Re:INVENT.

I’d bake in an extra 30% on top of what you were quoted.

Also writing a tips and tricks on how to fly with the board would be helpful for members. Raise the cost of the ticket to $100 and get some sponsor swag. If you get a large enough group you can pull some bigger names to show up and perhaps sponsor to help offset the costs.