2018 Electric Skateboard Convention - #Esk8Con2018

There is nothing better than a good taco cart, we don’t need no stinking bar food lol

Well taco cart for two then lol

I think for this event to be truly successful we must not focus on sub-genres, this is about the entire community of electric skateboarders… the tech & way it was built & who it was built by… not so important…

We are celebrating the entire industry, everyone united together under one roof…

DIY boards will win all the races of course :slight_smile: & we want to make sure the big guys are there to see it happen :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8 Likes

@onloop is correct…

Alienating is the last thing we want to do, we want the boosted board crowd to come…we want to open theirs eyes up and to introduce people to the alternative.

It is abt just enjoying the days…and checking out what other people ride…like I said pre-built or not, we all shred electric.

Any ways…anyone have thoughts one ONE wheel? Should I extend an invite? Or is that open it up to HoverBoards?

1 Like

OneWheel for the win! Yeah I take back what I said. Sorry guys. Hopefully BB can come

@lox897 we are all guilty of bashing of some sort… All good mate

I mean do you guys even consider onewheel Esk8-like?

Thoughts on OneWheel @DaviDjembe?

1 Like

Would it be worth inviting any board/truck/wheel makers…they’d be all for kicking

1 Like

Sorry i need to jot stuff down sometimes…

1 Like

I wouldn’t consider it ESK8 like, but it’s still a small transport system with an electric motor.

I guess you could invite some deck, wheel and truck makers.

Specifically Caliber, Orangatang for trucks and wheels.

Maybe Loaded, Never Summer, Landyachtz, @sl33py what was that one that you did the integrated deck with?

BajaBoards is down :+1:t2:

1 Like

I’m not sure how young you are with your “youngest esk8 builder” moniker bit but I’m pretty sure BB became mainstream prior to DIYs. Besides performance, many people started DIY because of BB’s high cost. So if anything, we have BB to thank for making us look for alternative esk8s. I’m not sure how we have contributed to them. Them finally adding more battery/range is not exactly copying us.

1 Like

Nice Bajaboard look so awesome.

DIY eBoards were made before Boosted started lol. Ask @onloop and @torqueboards Ah the days of ES

I wasn’t talking about the battery changes. Ever since the start they based their boards on innovation that a few people on ES were doing. All they did was put it into a consumer available model and make it look pretty. I’m not bashing BB, but you can’t say they did all the innovating

Really? Didn’t know. I drooled for large heavy slow eboards back in the late 90’s. I saw Boosted when they were starting off with prototypes and looked like what we build

I was talking about popularity as well. BB was the advertiser that drew in more interest so they definitely helped the diy community in that sense…ok let’s get back to the subject of convention

Casey Neistat grew the attention haha. Back to the convention

Sadly, as cool as the one wheel is, I don’t think one wheel should be considered in the same league as an electric skateboard… it’s more in the balance/segway category…

However, i do believe that this skateboard expo has the potential to be a huge event that will attract all kinds of products to it “eventually” - build it & they will come.

… so maybe after the first year or two once you have a feel for the punters that show up, I would suggest possibly expanding your scope of eligible exhibitors to basically include suppliers of any electric vehicle that the rider stands on top of (probably not scooters though? - but never say never.)

Another alternative brand you might eventually contact is golf board.

The goal for me initially would be to try to keep it exclusive to skateboards only & pray that it is viable & grows rapidly with this niche alone… but if it stagnates don’t hesitate to open the doors to more alternative product categories. For this to be successful it needs to be a profitable venture & the revenue comes from exhibitors & ticket sales

People don’t show up if there are not enough cool gadgets from heaps of cool exhibitors! & exhibitors don’t show up if attendance is low.

ALSO: I 100% agree that all the major skateboard companies get notified about this, helmet companies, shoe companies like VANS etc… These big well-established skateboard companies need to start accepting that esk8 will eventually be a huge revenue stream for them…

@Michaelinvegas how about the convention center where CES is held. There are covered buildings and big empty lots. Maybe a fairground where there are open spaces and covered much like maker faire.

Also, I am doing a project with auto desk and local schools and would be more than happy to see if they would be interested in sponsoring and/or having a booth.

1 Like