2 x 140kv not enough power?

It has sensor wires also but 255 error on hall detection so they are not attached.

Ok. With the sensors not setup or attached you will not be able to start from a stand still. You will have to push off first.

1 Like

Ya I keep hearing that but it does same thing when I push. Just wont go with load.

Starting to wish I had just kept the heavy dinosaur. Weight was the only real issue. It was way cheaper (esc only $15), worked better, and was much more reliable than this brushless crap.

Yeah I hear your, this stuff can get frustrating sometimes. This is the way DIY often is, its just the price you pay I guess.

Its not that you dont have enough torque. If you are running 75A motor max for each motor (which, btw, is probably too high for 5065 motors to reliably run at), even with 6" wheels and relatively tall 15:40 gearing, you should have 50% more thrust than a boosted dual plus at startup.

What you’re describing is pretty odd. If I were you, I would start my debugging process by only connecting one motor and VESC, in sensorless BLDC mode. It’s a little hard to assess what the issue is remotely, all I can say is pay close attention to what’s going on and look for clues I guess.

Also, using a Y-splitter is supposedly a very bad practice and can apparently destroy VESCs somehow. I dont know why, and it makes no sense to me, but you should look into it. There might be a clue in there somewhere.

Maybe something in here might help:

Also wondering why slave/master isn’t working. That might be a symptom of some deeper problem.

I would solve the sensor issue, also 40 max motor amp (will try not to saturate the stator with a low kv motor), and I do motor detection with tires on…Check your remote trimming is ok, 0,10 sec for remote to accelerate and stop, PPM no reverse with break. Check if can bus y correct, it should work…Best of luck!

The brush less motors are not crap, they are easily twice as strong as your old motor. I think you have something configured incorrectly in VESC.

You may have your motors hooked up wrong too. Try switching around any of the 3 motor wires.

Did you change the vesc voltage range, if that is set wrong it can cause you to have no power under load. The esc goes to a limp mode to save the battery.

I have these exact motors, my board has plenty of power for 200lb person. More than enough power for street use on urethane.

It has to be something do to with vesc settings.

I also had trouble getting the sensors to work, but was worth the effort. I tried different combinations of sensor wires and phase wires. Even though the sensor wire order is not meant to matter. Eventually I got a combo that worked.

Keep in mind im on 12s lipo. But here is mine. image

I also upped my minimum current which helps it stutter less from zero speed. And upped the start up boost just a little. image

Not true at all. Removing the canbus while both vescs are powered will destroy vesc but split ppm is not bad practice.
I know you are trying to help but stick with the issues at hand and the guy won’t get confused.
@Soulnatcher My friend if you are experiencing this much strife from your set up then it is badly configured. Do as @Fiori has asked and provide the info so we can help.

75A on these motors are way too high, try 40A first, what could be happening is that in trying to start you saturate the motor and the VESC completely looses tracking making them stutter

Try to get it working without sensor first , I run 5055 sensorless and they have plenty of torque to start on flat, sensored they will start you on hills no problem

1 Like

@Fiori if I switch any of the 3 motor wires around won’t they run in reverse? @Irdesigns no I did not touch the voltage range and vesc tool said 34v low battery and 31v cutoff but I have mine set to low of 34v and cutoff at 33v, @Pedrodemio in reading through the forums I saw several places where it was suggested to increase the motor amps for more power and that it was ultimately regulated by the battery amps (motor won’t get more than battery can deliver) but that increasing the motor amps and/or lowering the battery max amps somehow also increases power… Is that not true? Also, my cells are rated for 10A discharge so with a 6P battery they could really be set to 60A max correct? So If I do as you suggest and lower the motor amps to 40 what do you suggest I set the battery max amps to?

Ok, is your pack fully charged? If its at 36v or below it could be the issue. Can you check it with multimeter or in vesc tool.

Yes changing any two phase wires will make it run backwards. For me it was a combo of sensor wire arrangement and phase wire arrangement that got them to pass the test in vesc tool.

But you can flip the direction in software. So it was more a matter of getting the sensors test to pass, then switch the direction in software. image

@Irdesigns Ok gotcha on the sensorl wiring. Battery fully charged I stop it at 41.5v. What I’m inquiring about though is the max battery AMP setting not the volts. You said I should have motor max at 40A so what do you suggest my battery amp max should be?

Id start at 15 to 20 amps x2 for battery and see how it is.

Your original setting should work though so its something else.

I think if you post screen caps of all the settings maybe someone can find something that could cause this no torque issue.

1 Like

definitly would be helpfull if you post some screenshots of your vesc set up.

ok I’ll pull it all apart again and take screen shots but I already told you what settings are… running split servo, sensorless, current no reverse with brake, 75A motor max -50A motor min, 35A battery max -4A battery min, battery low 34v battery cutoff 33v, and I didn’t change anything else.

yeah but, is your ppm right adjusted? do you get any fault messages when motors don´t start spinning? how about your motors if you spinn them without wheels attached? the run easy and without sound or stop fast?

if you don´t want, than you don´t need to make screeshots… as i understood the easy things which could cause it are not the reason… so pictures from your build and screenshots can maybe help. maybe…

PPM right adjusted? I set controller in vesc tool in mapping, I believe it was 0.9 something start 1.4 something middle and 1.9 something end for both motors. Motors both spin up fine with or without wheels (when I set them the wheels were not attached), no faults except if I try to connect sensors then I get 255 error, or if I try can bus then only master spins. They both run easy without sound except for the normal whine or whir of a brushless motor and only stop fast if I hit the brake.