12S7P flexible battery pack

I already have a 100A fuse, so I guess I will go with that one! Cheers man!!!

1 Like

Hey guys,

I managed to finish the battery and I would need some help to set up the BMS. I have connected it to the PC, also to my phone and it connects smoothly. The default settings look pretty good to me, so I am not quite sure what I need to adjust or modify. Since it’s a new pack, it looks pretty balanced… do I need to do a manual calibration? @bartroosen12 Do you have some tips or some links where I can find more information about setting up this smart BMS?

Cheers! 20190525_120758 20190525_120838 20190525_191534 20190617_191420 received_634345917078981

6 Likes

That’s a sick pack man!

The default setting were pretty good already, I only changed the settings overvoltage settings a bit higher (4.3V) and the undervoltage to 3V per cell so the unity will do the voltage cut off and not the bms, bms should only cutoff in cases when there’s really something wrong.

Then I set the balancing mode only when I’m charging my pack when voltage reaches 3.8V but you can do this setting also on the app, I find it easier to change this on the app.

So balancing mode: turned on

Balance type: charge

Thank you mate! That sounds good, thanks! Is there any reason why I can’t leave the balancing mode on all the time as well as when it charges?

And what about the charge and discharge amperage, should I set those too?

Cheers!

Looks great but you should also put fishpaper between the pack and the balancing wires, they could short to any of the packs it is crossing.

1 Like

@M77 Thanks for the suggestion! Each balancing wire is cover with an extra rubber tube(the black one), except for 3 of them on which I used multiple shring heat tubes. Though I am pretty confident that it should be fine, I might open the pack and use some kapton tape to seal the each pack’s terminals. Cheers man!

Wow man, that pack is gnarly! I’m building a similar 12 set up but only 4p. My question is what size wire did you use for the series connections, what length roughly, and what type? How is it holding up?

Thanks man! I wasn’t sure what cables to use for the series connections either, so I decided to go for the Trampa ones… you can’t go wrong with that haha. I attached link below. I think they are 12AWG, but I am not sure. The lenght was around 3cm, one cm for each connection, leaving 1 cm distance between the packs (I was quite limited by the space in my enclosure, if you have more space, I reccomend to make them a bit longer). So far, it’s holding really well I’d say. The Trampa cables seem really good, the only thing you should worry about is the soldering. If you haven’t done this before, I’d suggest watching some tutorials on soldering. I messed up on my first attempt, but after watching some videos, I think I nailed it and those cables are going anywhere. :slight_smile:

Awesome, thanks for the info, i just bought some 12awg.

1 Like

I don’t know how I thought these batteries were too big only 1 year ago, things have gone berzerk with huge battery packs and now they are kind of standard. Next up will be a 13S8P made of 21700 Samsung 100T or some crazy sh!t

7 Likes

Haha… indeed! I started working on this big battery a year ago, because you couldn’t find a board on the market that would have the amount of range I desired back then. Now there are Bioboards with 12S6P, not to mentioned Kaly and Lacroix having 12S12P batteries on their boards. If I am not mistaken, Kaly posted recently a board with a 12S18P which is absolutely insane haha.

that’s a really nice pack, one day i’ll attempt to build a pack.

Hey guys! It’s been a while since my last post. I have been busy riding my board all summer without any issues so far. Now that it is winter I thought I should update this tread. On @M77 suggestion, I have added kapton tape between the pack and the balancing wire. Sealed everything and installed it to the board. Everything works perfectly, with the exception of the Unity’s display port, that for some reason, it stopped working… if you guys have any clue, please let me know. I will soon post photos with board and some upgrades that I did… Cheers!

1 Like

Hey guys! Here are some photos with the board. It is a mix between Urban Carver and Mountain board. Basically, it’s an Urban carver with an ATB Hanger, cause I think it gives the board a more muscle car look, plus, I had room for Kaly’s light stands. The grip tape is designed by me, it’s called Double Camel Toe :)). It wasn’t intentional, I just realized the resemblance after I finished it.

2 Likes

Since I intend to post more updates with the accessories I will create for this board, I have created another thread for that and I will keep this one mostly for electrical stuff. Here is the link with the thread for the board:

Well, since there is more activity on the other forum, I will continue posting my board upgrades here:

1 Like

Where did you get those pcb boards? I can’t seem to find them. Would those work for a 12s8p build?

Hi! I bought them from Kaly shop : https://www.kaly.nyc/shop

But I see that he doesn’t sell them anymore! You can contact him and ask him if those will be back in store or if you can pre-order them from him anyways. Yes, they should work with 12S8P, you just need to use the proper nickel plates for parallel and series connections.

Hope it helps!

Hey! Yea i checked earlier and you are right. I will take your advice and contact him personally. What size nickle plating do you recommend? I see you used what I assume is 8 or 12 guage wire. Do you mind explaining how to go about soldering those down? I get everything up to that point. Im about halfway through the diy lithium book btw. Also how come you didn’t go with the flipsky 6.6 plus vesc? Thanks man!

Hey, sorry for the late reply! I used 0.15T Pure Nickel strips for the parallel connections and for the series connections I used the Trampa cables which I think are 10 gauge but I am not sure. For the soldering, you will need a spot welder for the nickel plates and I recommend doing some tests on some regular batteries to see what settings you need in order to have a strong weld. As for the cables, check some tutorials on how to solder cables… there are plenty in youtube. I didn’t choose flipsky 6.6 because it wasn’t release when I started the build and Unity had great reviews. Hope this helps!