12S battery configuration question

So if I were to make my own battery like the example pic shown, I wouldn’t solder on that extra lead?

Buy 3 4S zippy 5000mah lipos. $30 each.

Bulk charging with power supply. Meanwell or other brands. Doesn’t monitor each cell and u have to do that on the side. I like this method way more than typical chargers

Can some one confirm the following:

You can combine any # of LiPo packs with different cell counts as long as the mAh and “C” rating is the same

ex-2s 5000mAh 20C in series with 3s 5000mAh 20C = 5s 5000mAh 20C

You can combine any # of LiPo packs with different capacity as long as cell count and “C” rating is the same

ex- 2s 4000mAh 20C in parallel with 2s 5000mAh 20C = 2s 9000mAh 20C

@LucidLunacy - correct. In Series, you are simply increasing voltage (2s - 7.4-8.4v (nominal to fully charged) + 3s - 11.1- 12.6v) so you will have 5s (19-21v).

Pairing brands might be wise and a battery monitor on each would be good to watch for the first cell reaching your cutoff/low-voltage. So you don’t overdraw and damage.

GL!

1 Like

Right on man, Thanks for confirming!

I’m using (9) 90c cells in series with (3) 35c. I’m watching the voltages and they stay balanced enough to keep everything within 4.2 and 3.6 and no not get warm or puffy. Why don’t I want to do this?

Long question. I am having a full blown BRAIN FART deciding what battery configuration to order for this… www.trampaboards.com/emtb-holypro-deck-with-vertigo-trucks-8-inch-superstar-wheels-ratchet-bindings-twin-motor-mount--motor--529e-p-12669.html I want a 12S 10A configuration on dual ollin boards. So is it better to run (2) 6s1p like these www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8590__ZIPPY_Flightmax_5000mAh_6S1P_30C.html then put them in series with this series connector www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/_10264__XT60_Harness_for_2_Packs_in_Series_1pc.html?strSearch=xt60 series then to ONE vesc and repeat for the other side? That would give me 12S2p 10A or …(4) 3S like these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14057__ZIPPY_Flightmax_2800mAh_3S1P_30C.html using the the xt60 harness x2 then a parallel connector like this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/_64402__XT60_Harness_for_2_Packs_in_Parallel_1pc_AR_Warehouse.html?strSearch=parallel to get 12S 10.A plus?

Don’t understand u with he 10a

.im not sure I understand al, ur asking but I like the serial connection method give the host two options.

U can put ur batteries in series or parallel either way no problem ans determines the voltage. Everyone puts their escs in parallel and I think it’s the only way. Seperate batteries for each esc is doable

Esc is series?

I MEANT 10,000 mAh for distance… sorry…

I’m not sure what ur asking but if the motors are on either side there will either be long battery or motor wires. The esc will be better with the long motor wires. I’d do a series connection for the batteries to the two paralleled escs and one with reall long wires.

so let me see if this is clearer…battery pack 1 6S1P +SERIES CONNECTOR EQUALS 12S1P THEN A PARALLEL CONNECTOR EQUALS 12S2P TO VESC #1 6S1P

battery pack 2

6S1P +SERIES CONNECTOR EQUALS 12S1P THEN A PARALLEL CONNECTOR EQUALS 12S2P TO VESC #2 6S1P

A picture would do it all. Easiest is just make ur 12s battery, all in series, and have ur two escs coming off in a parallel circuit. And I have an xt90s plug at the beginning of the escs.

Words are confusing.

This is charging but then I plug it into the plug coming out of the two paralleled escs to go

@Hummie What type of charger are you using that can charge the 12s in series?

A Meanwell 48 volt adjustable power supply with a wattmeter I soldered on. Not the easiest out of the box or in use but will do 400 watts to 50.4 or more. You can get easier to use bulk chargers with more features if you look for ebike chargers but mine can put out a lot.

I balance charge with little 6s balancers for 10$ on the side.

1 Like

Thank you… That answers my question…