10s6p vs 12s5p can't decide

EDIT Not worth your time

I have an honest question. Do you guys think the electric skateboard industry will gear more towards more and more distance? Once you hit 35mph on a board, very few people are willing to go over that. But it seems like we’re limited by the amperage of ESCs as far as I can tell. How can we break through to 13s or 14s, etc? Real commuter vehicles.

There are far more failures that I know of using 12s compared to 10s. Don’t know why but it seems like a hit or miss. Been using 10s for over 1000km with zero problems. I would go 10s if you are on a budget and want reliability, 12s if you like power and can comprise on reliability. This is my opinion and experience. Will probably be bashed now after this post…

3 Likes

No we aren´t

We already have this.

what you speak about?

did you ever ride an esk8?

10 Likes

driving your electronic close to your rated limit is sure not the best way. I´m fan of 12s but totally nothing bad with 10s. especially if you need your board to drive to work etc. you want something you can trust that will work.

These 2 terms are not mutually exclusive in my opinion. I run 10s and 12s and both seem to be the same reliability wise. Used 10s for longer though so had more failures but thats time related. Actually had more failures running 8s back in the day but that was due to ignorance. So many factors at play its a really a moot point.
Do you run 12s?

3 Likes

This is a thread about whether or not 12s is reliable. I don’t think 13s or 14s would be more reliable than that

I don’t know of ESCs that can withstand over 200A, but they probably exist

You started to speak about 13-14s. Get the right vesc and you can run even 16s if you think you can control it. https://vesc-project.com/node/339

Without any disrespect, but why you think we on the limit and why you didn’t answer my full reply?

4 Likes

EDIT Not worth your time

I’ve only seen what people have been talking about on here. I haven’t seen anything above 12s, so I was wondering why it wasn’t more popular. Especially with the DIY community. For me, a commuter vehicle can go all the way across the city and back. 20, maybe 30 miles per charge. I may be wrong about what the limits are, I just haven’t seen anything above 12s yet. And I haven’t been here that wrong either, which was why I asked in the first place. I’d be interested in the boards you’re talking about

You are entering into the realms of ridicule here dude. Its pretty obvious you need to read and not comment when you start contradicting yourself. You bring up 13s or 14s when nobody else had and then point out that the thread is about 10 or 12s For your own good and for the sake of the mods keep quiet and learn.

6 Likes

I know you not long in here. maybe sometimes it would be good to use the search function. it´s in the right upper corner.

I stop here… there way much more of them.

4 Likes

Ok thank you

Just a question like I said i’m running 4 lipo’s with 3s of 8000mah Someone said this is comparable with 12s1p? Since the lipo’s are all connected in serie?

Aren’t I sure then that i can safely run 12s5p since this board is working for over a year?

1 Like

if you run 4 lipos with 3s in 12s config than you connected them in series not parallel.

this all depents on which 12s3p liion pack and which 12s1p lipo pack you want to compair.

? don´t get what you want to ask. more more 3p, 5p, 20p doesn´t have an influence on the vesc. just with 3p your constant current you can run through your vesc is smaller than with 5p or 10p of the same cells.

Thanks Andy,

Already changed my message haha. So I’m comparing it to a 30q pack.

So If i safely run 12s1p in lipo’s I wouldn’t have any issue changing it with a 12s5p 30q pack?

1 Like

for sure not. with your 12s5p you would have 100a constant discharge from the pack. so max battery max setting at 50a per vesc (depending on your vesc, some should set only to 35a)

Focboxes with 4.x software They used to have old oftware but already updated them.

focboxes are fine with 50a bat max settings.

Thanks Andy Just to make sure!

12s5p -> Will have no problems seeing my current set-up Both focboxes should be set to -> 50a bat max Which also means i put 50A in motor max?

It still doesn’t matter if I run in FOC nor BLDCS? Don’t even know anymore what my current settings are.

But following this will have no issues at all?

if you set up your focboxes right, there shouldn´t be a higher setting at the moment with the old lipo. you set the bat max value always (maximum) to the constant current rating of your battery /2 (if you run dual). if your your max output ability of your pack exceed the vesc rating (for example a 10p pack) than you set it for sure on the max constant current your vesc can handle (or lower).

your motor max you can set to the max rating of your motors. idk which motors you use and for which current they rated.

you can run focbox in FOC and 12s.