10s BMS for 9 cell LiPo battery setup - wiring diagram

I just tested the theory by disconnecting the balance wires from cells 9 and 10 on my 10s system and the bms still turned on. This is very disappointing.

1 Like

Can’t say I’m surprised. Most BMS’s don’t have any electrical connection between the balance portion and the protection portion with mosfets, aside from maybe a common ground.

EDIT: what BMS are you using?

Bestech HCX-D223 10s

Small update to all:

I decided to contact Lucy and Henry at Bestech and they’ve confirmed that using this particular BMS with a 9s setup will be fine. All I had to do was join the B9 and B10 leads together, which I thought would be the case anyway.

I’ve not added the charging port just yet, but that’s to come.

I’ve taken the board out for a quick spin and everything appears to work as expected however @b264, you’re right - using a BMS for the charge and discharge can prevent the brakes from working due to over voltage features. I’m a little bit pissed off with this but then I guess you can’t have one without the other. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to resolve this? I’d like to fully charge the board but not run the risk of having no brakes!

Cheers all, Daniel

1 Like

Try only charging to 4.15V per cell (37.35V) then. The problem is to balance the cells you might need to charge to the full 4.20V per cell (37.8V) sometimes.

I thought that would be the case. Just wanted some confirmation on it that’s all.

Thanks!