10S and 12S adjustable charger from China - groupbuy - Worldwide!

I didn’t tell anyone to get anything. I said I am getting this from China, if anyone else wants to jump in go ahead. I also stated that it was to be used with a BMS.

@TranxFu already made a good suggestion to people on a similar power supply above that I think is cheaper and actually has a spec sheet but doesnt go down low enough for 36V from what I see on the spec sheet.

Linear power supplies are used everywhere. Please link the article where it says it’s more dangerous to use linear power supplies than switching. They are not as efficient as switching power supplies yes but they have less ripple than switching ones.

Why do I need a wattmeter for or a coulomb counter?

i just post it up so people can see there’s better options out there.

I dont have articles saying linear is less safe but from my looking into using them for charging lithium there are the variables i mentioned that will effect the output unlike a switching supply.

having a volt meter will tell what’s going on. turning the little adjustable knob will lead you into unknown territory otherwise. having a volt meter on either is solution for either.

@Hummie , please keep the thread on topic. @PXSS is trying to organise a group buy

This wouldn’t be suitable if you aren’t using a bms though correct? It’s essentially an u regulated supply where as the charger will have autoshutoff? Just wanting to be clear. It’s frustrating that there isn’t a charger section in the commonly used parts thread.

The charger does have auto shutoff as stated in OP :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got it @PXSS just clarifying my thoughts on why that 48v supply wouldn’t be better for a variety of reasons.

1 Like

i use these basic power supplies to bulk charge my 12s without a bms. you just have to monitor when charging. it will shut off at the full voltage you set it to. 50.4 maybe. you’ll need to monitor individual cells still on the side and i do that with little 3 in 1 battery medic like devices. to be clear these bulk chargers still shut off at the max voltage you set it to…and the pack will get there…but some of the cells might be imbalanced…but in my experience it’s not a far spread and I balance every once in awhile just sticking the battery medic on the side

I’m on a 10s but assume the same principle. I think the 4.5amp charging will be sufficient. I’m confused as to why I would need to monitor if it autocutoffs. I have balance cables connected so may introduce a bms down the line.

whats coming out of these things will vary and the little adjustable pot is finicky and you should see what voltage it’s actually doing if you plan to do a full charge.

Unless you post an article or at the very least an equation describing the variation please stop posting this. There is nothing from what I read that supports this

1 Like

i dont know much about these things but just going with what I read about basic linear supplies: http://www.neatcircuits.com/ensoniq/pswoes.htm

“Another aspect to consider is the mains power. Here in the U.S., the typical line voltage is 110 to 125 volts. It is amazing to see this number change from hour to hour, from day to day, and from season to season. I have seen the voltage as low as 95 volts and as high as 130 volts. Of course, the higher voltage is actually better for a failing power supply as long as heat isn’t a problem. The higher input voltage overcomes the power supplies ability to regulate. If you had a weak power supply and the line voltage dipped below 105 volts, your ESQ1 could definitely start acting up. If you live in an area where the voltage is high or normal in the morning and you tested your ESQ1, you may not notice anything wrong. Let’s say that during that summer evening with all the air conditioners running in your town you went to use the ESQ1, you could notice all kinds of problems with it. You’re ESQ1 is a prime candidate for a power supply repair. I’ve seen traveling musical groups take along a voltmeter to monitor their voltage so they can eliminate mains power as their problem in troubleshooting their musical equipment problems.”

maybe it has a “Devices that do this are called voltage regulators, voltage optimizers, voltage stabilizers, or voltage correctors”

i just paste stuff figuring how it works but unless extra bits are added it seems the output voltage will vary with the input on a linear supply. worth knowing especially if you plan to fully charge. worth knowing whats going on anyway.

2 Likes

WIll read into it.

Yes, the line input from the wall varies day-to-day and hour-to-hour. But the regulator should still output consistent voltage. Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t that the purpose of a voltage regulator?

EDIT: Where does it say this unit is a linear voltage regulator? That article you linked is over a decade old with no citations. It talks about a technology that became mainstream in 1990 as if it’s new. I don’t see how this charger could possibly have an efficiency as low as 50%. That thing would be insanely hot if it had to dissipate that much heat

1 Like

i think youre right and that link is an antique about antique stuff. the deciding word is “regulated” or not it seems. I’m now assuming this one in the groupbuy is regulated. if it doesnt say these days it probably is maybe. but maybe it will give a different output based on the input. hoping to hear more from someone who could sum it all up… or maybe it is summed up already. please excuse my barging with the distraction, couldnt help myself. like this link https://www.teamwavelength.com/info/powersupply.php linear supplies are always regulated i think. this group buy is for linear. “wall warts” that plug in the wall and power most electronics are not regulated and will give different voltage based on the load.

No, Linear supply can be unregulated or regulated. The charger from OP - based on the description - is regulated and has other features that makes it as a li* charger (together with a BMS I think)

R, Janos

1 Like

I am waiting to hear back on the quote. Please if you want to back out do it now or commit as I would have to request another quote every time someone backs out and it’s another wasted day

1 Like

The regulator feature we are looking for should look something like this.

http://www.itechview.com/thumb/Adjustable-Power-Supply-Module-DC-DC-CC-CV-Buck-Converter-Step-down-Power-Module-7-32V.jpg

Got the quote back all! Here’s the breakout:

@PXSS - $30 charger + 7.50 shipping + 2 pp fee @jmasta - $37 charger + 7.50 shipping + 2 pp fee @jujet - $30 charger + 8.00 shipping + 2 pp fee @Norco - $30 charger + 8.00 shipping + 2 pp fee @Pedrodemio - $30 charger + 10 shipping + 2 pp fee

They are charging me $10 as PayPal fee so I split that evenly.

All good with everyone? If so you can send me the payment through paypal to the email I will send you through PM. Remember to add 3% if you send it as payment for goods or send it as gift. I do believe that we all still get buyer protection on the complete order through PayPal and my bank.

Thanks for arranging - Paid

All good, I need a few days to unlock my card to international payments

That was quick, paid