105mm airless tire hub motor

Some free time today and recorded two quick videos. First one, just normal riding, and second, riding on smooth surface where vibration becomes noticeable.

At the moment, I fixed the front wheel noise problem by switching out the spacer to a shorter one, and everything is running great! I just need to plan to enclose the FOCBOX either on top or bottom. Loving this board right now.

i dont rly see a difference between those two videos. so how do you feel about them now? compared to PU wheels, btw what did you ride before those wheels?

On asphalt, the speed range where vibration becomes noticeable is narrower so mostly it’s fine. On cement surface the noticeable range becomes wider and noise louder. I personally have no issues from the vibration. Just wanted to show @donta42 if his/her issue is comparable. But, if you constantly cruise in speeds range where vibration is noticeable it’ll be pretty annoying.

Thanks for posting your vids! Yeah, my vibration issues are definitely worse than what you have recorded. I’m not primarily going at high speeds or commuting in a straight line, more cruising and carving around at “lower” and “middle” speeds.
So i am definitely in the that vibration zone 90% of the time… I think skullboard will have an answer to the problems soon, They have been great keeping communication open. I will report when I hear of anything new! Cheers!

1 Like

Looks like Ownboard will be releasing the same wheels / hubs soon, too.

uh oh…hahah!

It’s like an unknown company pops up with some new/improved feature, and then they all have to catch up. But instead of innovating a competitive option, they flat out duplicate each other. China is weird. Lol.

2 Likes

It honestly doesn’t surprise me in this particular instance, since all of Skullboard’s hardware looks to be exactly the same as Ownboard’s. Ownboard utilizes, I believe, Crownwheel for their manufacturing and supply of parts, so it stands to reason that Skullboard probably does, too.

I’ve reached out to Crownwheel directly about a modified version of the airless AT hubs/wheels and they’ve told me that a completely new mold would have to be made because of the ownership rights of the current product. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Oh, I don’t mean to sound surprised. You’re right, it’s literally what happens. They all seem to be linked to a mass manufacturer. It’s just funny how only a select few get to have the cherry on top.

1 Like

The Video Link above i posted Shows a different Kegel Style core

I have a suspicion that manufacturer has huge influence in launching brands with new products. These Chinese brands are not from independent individual companies trying to innovate the products. The brands are meaningless, except maybe Meepo.

wait a second. the kegel core seems to be part of the wheel. surely the wheel has to be a high duro? or any softness in the wheel will break any non-metal pulleys?

In my experience, no matter the wheel diameter, if its a 85+ duro, it is gonna be a bumpy ride. Only way to make a ride softer is lower duro or flexy deck.

As for offroading, i doubt you can do anything on these that you cant with the mbs AT wheels or the abec 107s.

what am I missing?

SkullBoards wheels do fit Caliber trucks, and would necessitate an entirely new pulley.

Coincidentally, we’re awaiting replacement rear hubs from SkullBoard, to mount on a pair of chopped Caliber 2’s, for our Enertion Raptor 2.

We’re thinking about reviewing against real-world rides, like, riding across Facebook HQ campus from building 40 to main cafeteria - the roads suck, pavement is super coarse, and everyone is annoyed by you and wants you to street your face.

I think the SkullBoards wheels might do well, there. :slight_smile:

Hey guys, do you like AWD?

2 Likes

like sure, need not rly. depends who you ask and for what.

Yes, but if you have to replace all motors when the rubber wears out, the cost would be high. The rubbers seems they’ll wear out at about 500 -1000 miles which is less than a year of riding for many of us. Better solution there first would be nice.

1 Like

I would prefer a slightly wider motor. Currently it seems is a little underpowered and gets hot. Maybe a shape like the @Hummie’s one might help.

1 Like

How about wider and or taller? Say 120mm?

Switched over to Flipsky dual 4.2 from Focbox. Same settings, pretty much the same performance running unsensored BLDC. Wee bit louder with Flipsky. ~$150 for dual VESC is a dream.

1 Like