100 mile range (The Big Boy Toy Project)

I can only imagine what my leg would fell like after that

I’m impressed by 4wd efficiency, do you have any test with 2wd? And maybe 1wd? Maybe the most efficiency is in your setup due to the reduced current across all components. In my single drive belt drive I average 7,4 Wh/km with a fair amount of hills on half of the route

2 Likes

Amazing man. Did you take any breaks? How were your legs after that ride?

1 Like

@guyguy

Naw no breaks, just rode it for 7hrs strait. I just did a little dance on my board to keep my feet happy and the blood flowing. I actually feel fine. I just finished charging and gonna meet some friends to do some more riding.

My last century bike ride was much much harder and I was beat for days. Only thing I would do differnt is leave the two 12S fast chargers and the gallon of water I brought behind. The 15-20lb back pack was no bueno. Ohh Id also start early haha. 60 of the 100 miles were ridden in the dark.

4 Likes

7.4 whr/mile sounds like amazing efficiency. What speed is that averaging and what was the total weight of you plus board? My board is 50ish pounds and Im 265lbs plus a 15-20lb board so roughly 350 lbs total in my trip.

1 Like

Wait…you did 100miles on your trampa!!!

1 Like

Yeah but I adapted my Carvon V3’s onto it.

I used to ride a hangover 100 every new year when I was racing bikes. The actual ride was more like 156 miles. My first year I was dead tired for weeks, the next few years it was nothing, just another day on the bike.

You and I might need to plan a long range group ride, I’ll bring the chase van to carry the gear, beer and tents!

2 Likes

Oh that is Wh/Km, 12 Wh/mi, I guess around 15 mph average, me 180 lb Ann board 20 lbs

My guess is the high gearing is the main factor, at the time I was running 11/36 on 80mm and a 230kv motor that measured 212kv, so the motor was spinning fast and around the peak efficiency zone

1 Like

Ahh, 12whr/mile. I was averaging about 12.5 for the 1st 60 miles then I got stuck in stop light traffic for thr next 30 miles and lost a whr/mile or so. My motors are geared for 60mph at 110kv on 107mm wheels. I cant wait to find out if the Carvon V4xl’s at 85kv boost the efficiency further.

2 Likes

That sounds awesome, are u in palm springs or CO?

1 Like

If my theory is correct it should improve a bit, we Shaw see

As soon I finish my board I plan to do a few runs with a fixed speed to determine the most efficient zone and make a mode using @rpasichnyk app, will be great for when you really want to go far. With your battery is less of a concern with this order of energy stored, I bet you could run pneumatics with 4 flat tires and go farther than most of us

1 Like

BEAST!

4 Likes

I pulled gear drive pnematics off to run the hubs. I was getting 30miles with those.

2 Likes

Nice! You crazy, but you did it. :+1:

1 Like

warm ups at Big Bro’s house before going out for a casual 100 mile ride…

2 Likes

Hahaha, yes just like that listening to my favorite tunes

2 Likes

you know, what ever it takes bro I mean you are the first to crack 100 miles on a charge yeah? I’ve never seen anyone else… and doing it 4wd when everyone else is trying 1wd…

to state the obvious, looks like you know something most don’t :wink:

2 Likes

I am in New Mexico but I travel to California a few times a year.

1 Like

That’s so cool, the reduction in amp draw from each motor added up to be overall more efficient, makes tons of sense, headroom in the system is just that.

So who’s next to join the club, looks like I started something here, who’s gonna break 1,000 miles? or hell eskate across the country on a charge, lol hahahaha.

If I could not afford x4 Carvon, if I could I would already be using them, dude was the 1st guy I contacted when looking for a solution, but they were not even available. Single motor solution is a fraction of the cost of a trampa with 4 Carvons on it, lol damn, how much did that rig cost in total? I am curious how it compares to my total cost after getting mine on the road.

2 Likes

Hub motor/direct drive vs belt and 2wd vs 4wd has been debated like the Chicken Vs the egg question and the most experienced forum members are still divided on the subject, but I’ll share my observations on a couple of things.

Early efficiency testing results with hub motors and direct drive systems were confounded by low urethane quality or other issues that led to increased rolling resistance.

Hub motors also produce more heat during use since more torque is being required out of each hub motor due to lack of gear reduction.

My 4wd Carvon board addresses the first of the above problems by using high quality urathane wheels.

The second issue is adressed by using an 4WD design. 4WD divides the amount of torque required from each motor in half. This offers a theoretical gain in efficiency since low speed losses in the motor increase exponentially with torque.

I haven’t seen any 4wd belt data to show that the same gain in efficiency would be seen. Id suspect that some of the gain in efficiency from dividing the torque required per motor would be negated by doubling belt drag.

Id love to to see more 4wd data.

To answer your question my setup is quite expensive, it cost me about 3k in parts, but if someone was to pay retail for everything it would cost about $5200.

6 Likes