100 mile range (The Big Boy Toy Project)

Next board should be a long range dual motor that does your 50 mile run at 25mph. Costs Lotta watts :wink: but riding an esk8 at <18mph surely can drag a bit no?

Love your idea of a trail map on the grip tape!!

2 Likes

jesus bro… you have too much time :rofl:

lol, I know right? But it’s not me man, this 100 mile board is being build in three different shops, including a longboard deck manufacturer, a truck factory and then in my garage for all the soldering and electronics. Hobbyking threw in the drive kit and helped with batteries for testing as well. It’s taken three shops, 4 companies and 3 dudes working many weeks so far to get it to this point and I really love seeing my design come to fruition, lol…we are determined to make it rad by balancing between the culture here and the existing skate culture, taking design cues from both and combining them…when pro downhill riders come through the shop, as they always do to pick up new product or get things worked on, they see this thing sitting there and there’s no hate in the world that can overcome their curiosity, that’s the idea here…

3 Likes

Pround as hell to say Abec11 has joined the party…

12 Likes

So I have (10) of those ebay 36v hoverboard packs I am interested to see how you wired it all together. wondering how you did the on/off switch as well as how you are charging them? let me know. oh and do you have a voltage readout.

1 Like

How many miles should i get with 18 packs :smile:

13 Likes

YA buddy, now that’s a battery!!

1 Like

If my math is correct, 3.6v x 2.2Ah x 20 cells x 18 packs = 2,851.2 Wh. 2851.2 Wh / 10 Wh/k = 285.12 km 285.12 km x 0.621 km/mi = 177 miles :astonished:

That’s gonna have to be two day ride to drain that beast.

2 Likes

I don’t know Derek well, only chatted online with him recently, but he took my challenge of riding 100 miles and he ran with it, his passion, knowledge, skills and riding ability will be missed. He has a lot to contribute to this idea.

When I began talking about building a 100 mile board and training here in the forums, he most likely looked at himself in the mirror and said “that’s easy” and reconfigured his existing setup to go for a 100 mile run and he put on his headphones and rode and just did it. Derek is at home on the board.

His passion for actually riding and just getting out there and shredding is something I can relate too. He is a knowledgeable and helpful member of the DIY community and his account and post history is rich with information. When I got into this just a short time ago, I wanted to be like Derek, out with the wind in my hair spanking miles and routes through the real world and smashing records.

The news hit me hard, so I went for a ride and did what he might do, shred some miles…I thought about this silly project, and how intrinsically meaningless it is. I have decided to change the name of this project in honor of the 1st dude who rode 100 miles on a single charge and in honor of all the big boys, and their toys.

32 Likes

ive got 10 of these things, have any of you guys wired these up yet? I wonder how they are performing on boards!

4 Likes

what are u gonna power with that? A dang surfboard

11 Likes

lol close enough

Brian has been doing the outer layers of carbon fiber, keeping the lines all straight on this lumpy deck is hard…she will be a looker that’s for sure…I’m not typically into carbon fiber, but when it’s the real deal and functional and wrapping baltic birch and maple, then ok, I think carbon is pretty damn sick looking, lol…

2 Likes

Yummy.

8 Likes

10 Likes

how did you make that remote from a hobby king one? link anyone please!

read here:

1 Like

thank you!