1.8 Mile UP-Hill Race

I think his camera put him off balance. :joy:

1 Like

Uphill footage mixed with downhill?

Also can’t tell if they are going up or down.

Yeah, it was a mix. looks great to the causal viewer, I don’t think editor was aware that riders don’t care about presentation or sound.

2 Likes

Wow thanks for the video.

I’m asking myself, why have an event where the road has cancer? Are there any upsides?

2 Likes

It was actually a really sweet run but you had to stick to the good sections. I’m going back next year just to ride the road if nothing else. With that being said, the road isn’t for everyone. You need to enjoy challenging conditions to get a thrill out of a road like this.

6 Likes

I bet it was a sick run… 20 years ago :grimacing:

4 Likes

Drone had trouble keeping up with front of pack :joy:. Hope he’s on the mend.

Most drone guys roll their eyes when I say it’s tough to follow us. I guess fpv racers are pretty damn quick, but Photography drones struggle.

2 Likes

Good enough to ride at night!

2 Likes

One of those crazy downhill guys flew past me lights out in the last run down. Literally twice as fast with no light.

1 Like

I fly race drones for fun and have no trouble keeping up with cars. Following a dude on an electric skateboard would be a piece of cake.

3 Likes

Would be great to have a really skilled drone pilot with a gimble at bakers. It’s a tighter course with lots of vertical obstructions, aka trees.

6 Likes

I also have a larger “race drone” that carries a gimbal + GoPro on the nose. It gets some pretty smooth footage while still being able to fly through tight spaces.

The challenge with a curvy road course is that I can lose video feed if my drone goes behind a large obstacle. I’d need to find a spot to fly from that provides an unobstructed view of the course.

Where is this bakers race going to be held at?

NoProZero-6 chin cam. Didn’t work for the Race. Well here’s the road. Avg speed 38mph for this test run.

5 Likes

Too bad @psychotiller ‘s poor action cam didn’t survive the practice run with me behind @JAYSTCB. It would have recorded a jump off the stooge board front, tumble underneath and a bounce into my chest after.

I was responsible for breaking the cam that preceded it. The least I could have done was try to grab it. (I thought it was chunks of kicked up asphalt) :no_good_man:

2 Likes

Bakersfield is calling you

Edit: Bakersfield California

3 Likes

very weird to organise a DH event on such a damaged road

1 Like

Hardcore tradition, it also makes you a much better skater. Similar to the Paris - Roubaix bike race, you need to be tough, good and lucky to win it…bragging rights and all.

7 Likes

I was expecting the road to be much worse than it actually was. The biggest surprise for me was finding that a wider wheel did better than a large diameter wheel. My thinking is the wider wheels are able to stay above the valleys because they can reach more peaks.

6 Likes

Mass start madness!

IMG_20190129_164611_535

10 Likes