Youngest and Oldest Builders on the Forum

Level 22 here :grin:

1 Like

I’m glad I got the other oldies out of the closet. Andrew

15 started when I was 13 as well​:ok_hand::+1:

1 Like

I never would’ve guessed the age range on here. I’m definitely on the younger side-20- but I didn’t expect 12-14 yr olds on here. It seems like most people here got into this because they love building cool stuff, which leads me to a question for all of you ‘grown-up’ members- how many of you are engineers, mechanics, or have a trade background?

1 Like

I kind of disagree here…Pneumatics are going to cost in the $250+ range anyway for anything usable. Then add in shipping and more times than not you end up spending more anyway. Then, factor in my replacement tires. $60 for Tires and tubes. You finding a better deal than that anywhere?

It baffles me that any other options seem cheaper to anyone. Maybe it’s the age talking…

2 Likes

I got skike hubs, tubes, and tires for 85$ and they work fine for my needs. If the hubs break for any reason, it’s a 3D-printable fix at this point.

I’ll give you this: for maximum performance, your hubs are undoubtedly the only way to go.

The thing is, I’m still 16. And I’m no son of Bill Gates

How much did that 3d printer cost? Filament? Skike Tires and tubes? The work involves to make skikes fit?

Bill’s my uncle! I kid I kid

1 Like

Access to a 3d printer and filament use are free thanks to my school. I bought them already modified, but there’s also a lathe that I could’ve used for free. Skike tires and tubes are just a few bucks replacement each. I think the tubes go as low as 3$.

The road star tires are $19 each, with no tube. Anyway, I just want you to think over actual cost. Saving your money for a little longer isn’t an added cost. Paying extra more often for crappy parts IS.

1 Like

They’re 15 according to the skike website… and I got them for free with the set that I bought. Won’t have to replace those for a while. I’m not going’s to continue going back and forth here - the bottom line is that for me the cheap skike system is a better fit at the moment simple because of the price. Your hubs are a level awesome that I hope to afford once I am out of college with a decent job.

At 16 I worked partime, 4 hours a day, and raced cross country and DH mountain bikes. I had 3 bikes that each cost me close to or over $2000 each. There is always a way! As for my age, this all happened 22 years ago.

5 Likes

I turned 53 in May which is about when I started.

2 Likes

Turning 19 in January. Currently studying IT @ University of North Florida.

1 Like

I am all of those things, except grown up :slight_smile:

I like designing and building them moreso than riding them, though the reward for a well built machine is really fun.

Interestingly what I notice here is that a lot of “kids” have access to much better machinery (CNC machines, etc) through their schools than I do, so even though they might not be as well financed they certainly have an advantage in access to resources.

1 Like

I’m an operating engineer with the Local 12. Through experience working on and around heavy equipment I have picked up quite a bit of experience structurally repairing things as they break. Have also worked on/modified cars and motorcycles for over 30 years.

2 Likes

I’ve been a welder for over 40 years 10 years in aerospace welding Aluminum, Titanium, Nickle alloys and stainless steel. Last 24 years fitting and welding Stainless Pipe for industrial application.

7 Likes

What do you know about Additive Manufacturing using Titanium? Seems to me that it will be the future for metallurgy and printing of metal pieces. Right now this technology is capable of printing full titanium metal pieces out of titanium powder. A 3D printer that creates titanium structural pieces with high tensile strength. A dream for the casting and forging industry.

1 Like

I’ve heard that there was such a thing but I have not seen one.

2 Likes

I actually thought they were expensive initially as well, I didn’t realize they were appropriately priced until I investigated pneumatic wheel set cost more thoroughly. Im assuming most everyone that thinks they are overpriced has never purchased or priced complete pneumatic wheel sets of similar quality.

2 Likes

There are two powder bed based additive manufacturing techniques: Laser Beam Melting (LBM) and Electron Beam Melting (EBM).

:point_up: …Skateboard Truck (Titanium), LBM design demonstrator with topology optimisation and graded lattice structures.

http://canadamakes.ca/design-additive-manufacturing-guidelines-case-studies-metal/

4 Likes