Y piece or canbus

You mean for CAN connection ?

The rule is simple :

• VESCs powered by the same battery : NO ground connection, only CANH and CANL wires (middle of 4pin JST connector)
  • VESCs powered by different batteries : ground connection REQUIRED.

This advice comes from Vedder himself :wink:

You should read the post I was answering. We were talking about parallel ppm not canbus.

Sorry, but I don’t see it. Anyway, whether it’s VESC 4.xx or VESC 6, Vedder strongly not recommends to use Y PPM cable. On VESC 6 it may fry components (it happens to a beta guy, components are more sensitive than VESC 4 ones) if both VESCs are powered by the same battery pack. CAN bus is the way to go. :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah yeah i know this guy :wink:

3 Likes

I don’t know about Vesc6. But as far as Vesc4 is concerned, it is perfectly safe to run parallel ppm. There are more than a few people doing it with no issues. I have been running parallel ppm for over a year with no issues. As long as you only supply 5v from one of the Vesc and not both to power the receiver. People have damaged their Vescs using canbus by powering one Vesc and not the other or by not powering them at the same time. Also by the canbus wire coming loose and by not getting the bldc tool settings just right. So canbus is not as safe as you think. There is a lengthy thread on this topic that is fairly recent.

3 Likes

cwazy1 2d is there any benefit to using signal + ground versus just signal on the parallel connection?

See he said parallel connection

Again, it’s BV words who, I guess, is the best to have an idea about what is good or not with the VESC, ain’t you agree ? :wink: See what Frank said few weeks ago :

1 Like

The reason I’m planning to use split ppm is because my drv failed immediately after plugging in a canbus for dual motor configuration.

See my thread here.

There was no obvious shorts, and I made no mistakes when connecting wires. I went through and programmed each vesc with the correct configurations as well as detection, then powered all down, and connected canbus.

Ive had problems with blowing CAN transceivers using both split ppm and CAN bus on 4wd setups. I just bought extra receivers and link them all to the same remote now. Add 4 bluetooth modules and they can all be tuned separately and wirelessly as well.

When you blow a can transceiver, what fault does it show? Also how are you possibly blowing can transceiver with split ppm? You’re not plugging anything into your can port? There was a thread recently about someone blowing their can transceiver and still be able to run split ppm afterwards.

Mine was showing drv fault when I initially set it up through canbus

It looks like only the signal is required so I’ll just run signal off one of the parallels

Depends,

Sometimes its lights out, sometimes the tranceiver just gets really hot. Never had codes though for a bad Transceiver though.

Ah, I see.

I do not agree simply because I personally have proven otherwise by running both of my Vesc 4.12 builds with split ppm for a long time with no problems. And from what I’ve heard, there are more ways to damage the Vesc 4.12 with canbus than with split ppm. I am not familiar with the Vesc6 so that is why I am referring only to the Vesc 4.12

Yeah, Split ppm works just fine. Not once have myself or anyone else I know locally burned out a vesc using split ppm. Same cannot be said for canbus.

2 Likes

Frank can say anything he wants, but statistically, I’ve heard of more people frying something with CAN wayyyy more than split PPM. In fact I’ve never heard of anything frying with split PPM.

FYI, only the PPM wire is needed for split Y cable.

1 Like

ppm wire = signal wire = white wire ?

1 Like

yes, yes, and depends. Could be any color you’re using.

1 Like

left and right most wires are PPM, middle one is 5v.

https://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/original/3X/5/9/59ce619a3e69ec59762b40bbc1930fae5a3e8390.jpg

2 Likes

only 1 wire on a servo is for signal, middle is 5v as you said, and the other is ground.

How I’m hooked up

3 Likes