Y piece or canbus

OK, awesome, I should be good then.

3 Likes

I will NOT run any of my VESC on split PPM. Not saying it doesnt work, not saying it deep fries anythingā€¦

I first setup on split ppm(easiest) -motor startups were off (not in sync) -sometimes only one motor would spinā€¦ -no traction control/rocks flying when tire lifts off the ground.

Now the ppm signal goes to a switch. position 1 is PPM to master VESC position 2 is PPM to slav VESC

Position 1 is dual drive, through can-bus. The master handles the PPM from reciver and passes signal through can bus to slave.

Position 2 is PPM to slave only. this allows only the slave to drive.

If the slave motor/belt/VESC fails, I can remove the canbus connector and drive only the master without conflict. If master fails, i simply switch to slave only.

I use the Traction Control function so if one motor is lost the other must be shut down to avoid rpm conflict. (rpm difference causes timeouts when on TC)

1 Like

If anyone has trouble setting up can-bus to dual VESC 4.xx please let me know and ill post a step by step.

1 Like

ā€œmotor startups were off (not in sync)ā€ Iā€™ve only noticed this while bench testing and barely nudging the throttle. If I pull more throttle, they start up together. Anyway, it is completely unnoticeable while riding.

And if one of your wheels is lifting or loosing traction while turning, Then either your trucks are too tight or your bushings are too hard.

3 Likes

Would love a step by step for setting it up. I am in the middle of deciding to go with a @Jinrasā€™ option or to go with CAN.

1 Like

Ive written out 14 simple steps for setting up dual VESC using CAN-bus with bldc tool. :persevere: With VESC-tool, its one click of a button during the setup wizard :relieved:

Here are the steps I used to program two VESC to communicate through CAN bus. Using the BLDC tool, and two 4.12 hardware VESC.

1.) Choose a master/slave ESC. label accordingly. 2.) Open bldc tool and CONNECT to master ESC. 3.) open app configuration/general tab, and read config. 4.) set controller ID to ā€œ0ā€, save config. 5.) Choose the appropriate tab for your control type(most will use ppm) 6.) Select the box that reads ā€œmultiple esc over canā€ 7.) save config. 8.) Dissconnect Master, and CONNECT slave esc to bldc tool. 9.) open app config/general tab and read config. 10.) rename the controller ID ā€œ1ā€ and select ā€œsend status over canā€ box. Dissconnect. 11.) Connect your canbus cable. I recommend the proper connector/jst-ph 2mm 4-pin 12.) Reconnect Master ESC to bldc tool and read config. 13.) on the right side of bldc tool under the dissconnect button, select the slave controller ID (1) and select the CAN Fwd box. Write configuration, and dissconnect. 14.) Reboot both VESCS and test controller, if only one motor spins, check to see that the ā€œapp configā€ settings for one VESC are the same as the other.

11 Likes

Not on the slave, only the master

Long debateā€¦

When thinking about Y-PPM or CAN, you also should think of single battery or twin battery, each powering your ESC. Split battery is better for Y-PPM, since there is no common ground. This could even work on VESC Six.

@Pimousse mentioned it before and itā€™s quite important to know, also for CAN setup.

There are pros and cons for both setups.

Frank

edited* ty Yes there are def benefits to both. Most wont need Traction Control which is the real benefit to setting up CAN-bus. @Namasaki Its hard to keep the trucks loose for fine control when moving 40km/h top speed. When traveling over gravel/loose terrain is when the TC really shines. :grinning:

With the right after market bushings and pivot cups along with precision bushing washers, you can have decent maneuverability with stability. Of course it also depends on your ability and endurance. core balance, ankle and leg strength. Ever notice how you seem to have less stability after riding a while. Having your trucks too tight can get you in trouble when going fast on curvy roads.

How is running dual Vescs on a parallel power connection a problem when feeding them a parallel ppm signal from the receiver? How does having a common ground have anything to do with them both being fed with the same ppm signal?

I have never heard of anyone killing a Vesc4 with parallel ppm. As long as the receiver is powered by only one Vesc.

And running separate batteries. Think about that for a moment. dual batteries dual bmsā€™s dual on/off switches dual charge ports dual voltage meters and twice the wiring Not very practical in my opinion.

can bus yo.

da fuck yall even talkin bout shiiiit

lblblblbllblblblblblblblblb just run that signal wire on over you donā€™t have to worry about grounding shut yo mouth. not a problem with can bus shit

4 Likes

dual fires lol

2 Likes

I didnā€™t say there is a problem with canbus, Iā€™m saying there is no problem with parallel ppm. However, either one of them if not set up correctly can damage a Vesc.

BTW, glad to see that you survived your run in with Irma. Hope you didnā€™t suffer any loss.

a shorted can bus will ruin your whole month for sure.

iā€™ve been drinking.

heavily.

7 Likes

yes we can tell.

6 Likes

What about connecting one remote to 2 receivers?? I have 2 enertion nano x receivers laying around so could that work ?

1 Like

yes, just pair both receivers to your one controller.

1 Like

I have done just that with the mini RC remote and it works. Donā€™t know if it will work with nano remote Youā€™ll just have to try it and see.

1 Like

Spent last night resoldering connections on my new focboxes and getting everything setup.

I went with the split ppm route instead of can (previous dual TB vescs over can fried a drv instantly)

I used only a signal wire into the second vesc. Both vescs were set up as master. Throttle min and max were the same on both vescs, but always verify it yourself through live reading.

One of my motors was about 200 miles older than my other. So I had to set one motor at +60A max and another at +50A max to ensure both are spinning at the same rate.

Motor/battery settings were +50/-50/+15/-7 for each of the 6355ā€™s being powered on a 12s4p pack.

Working great so far. Torque is impressive and braking is sooo much better. Can actually come to a dead stop.

1 Like