Would it be a good idea to drill holes in the kick tales of a normal sized skateboard and mount trucks there? Then house the battery and esc above the rear motors?

Would it be a good idea to drill holes in the kick tales of a normal sized skateboard and mount trucks there? Then house the battery and esc above the rear motors?

Its typically a bad idea to bolt anything to the top of a kicktail because then you cannot put your foot on it and use it…and yes you can mount trucks on a kicktail but it’s best done with wedges to bring the angle back to neutral, this configuration is called a “torsion tail” and it’s popular in slalom racing to get more traction, recently the term torsion tail goes to the gbomb which is a true torsion tail, but take a look at some Skatekings models they mount the truck under the tail in the rear. I did that on my 50 mile range board and it worked really well…

2 Likes

Haha now that I think about it what about using Trampa or mountain board trucks on the kick tails of a regular skatboard… hmmm I may have to try this

1 Like

That’s sort of how they were invented in the 1st place, you would be working backward through history, lol

3 Likes

Sure, why not? The kicktail wouldn’t be useful anymore anyway. Just don’t go trying to set any speed records with this setup.

3 Likes

It’s been done, it was cool!

haha @Mobutusan beat me to it!

@Mobutusan @treenutter hah yeah good times with that setup! the good ole days

2 Likes

Interesting … I wonder what the handling characteristics were of this. My son might like this for his setup since he primarily rides shortboards. We’re starting our build in about 2 weeks but haven’t chosen decks.

@RunPlayBack good to see ya!

I love my skate deck board. It feels like a drop deck with some flex. Feel great going over the cracks in side walk. Serious it is super comfortable <3

However you have to wedge the the front and back like 25 degrees so you can turn if you use standard 50 degree trucks.

This is it made with some spare lipos in 6s.

1 Like

Try it. I have a skate deck set up like this, unpowered now, that my 7yr. old son likes to ride. The narrow deck and short deck height make it perfect for his smaller feet, and he can kick push easily without feeling like he’s standing on a table. He’s actually gotten pretty good on it and it’s like a mini drop Longboard for him. I even like pushing it around cause it’s so effortless to ride and has a unique feel compared to my other decks.

3 Likes