Wiring up the supower 12S BMS

I am thinking of ordering this BMS, too because of its size but I don’t understand the specifications. It says “max. continuing discharge current: 60A” but also “over-current Protecton: 60 A”. This makes no sense to me. So it supports 60A continious and shut off at 61A???

I have 3x 10S BMS so far with max. continuing discharge current: 60A and over-current Protecton: 120 A. This is how it makes sense. It seems like the supower BMS is rated for 30A cont. with 60A over-current to me.

Please someone help me to understand. I need this for MTB and am afraid it’s too weak.

The 60A SuPower BMS can handle up to 60A. If you draw more than 60A, it temporarily cuts the load to prevent damage

There are different versions if you need more current

Thanks for explanation @jmasta! I’m not new to BMS topic (but no expert) but my point is that supower seems to be the same 30A BMS no matter if they say 30A, 45A or 60A. All BMS in this world I know have over-current protection about the double amount of cont. discharge. Imagine a Lipo would have the same discharge and burst rate, that’s not legitimate.

I need a BMS with 60A cont. and 120A over-current protection so it doesn’t shut off when I exceed the 60A for a couple of seconds.

Unfortunately I killed my 10s 10Ah Graphene Lipo a couple of days ago, where I had the BMS for charging only. After the ride the voltage was 35V but I forgot to switch off the board, 28 hours later the voltage was 9V and the Lipos puffed and dead.

I can’t use nice and big 80A BMS like @Namasaki because I have no space for it. I want to uprade to 12s but I can’t find a proper BMS which is not big as a book. I have 10S BMS 60A/120A (9cm x 9cm) which are nice but I need 12S now.

I can’t believe that I can’t find any nice 12s BMS with not more width than 9cm (except supower).

The Bestech bms that I use might have saved your battery by automatically turning off when min voltage was reached.

I’ve been using those 60 Amp BMSs in my boards all year and zero issues.

With the proper VESC settings you’ll get up to ludicrous speed and still go full plaid without tripping the BMS.

1 Like

The top three BMS’s I showed do look identical and are basically the same price. My guess is that they designed one board to withstand 60A and then down-regulated the 45A and 30A models. By simply changing the over-current setting you can meet a wider range of needs for your customer. This allows them to manufacture a single PCB with the same hardware, which drastically cuts costs. If you look closely at the 12S version, you’ll notice a whole row of resistors is missing. That’s because they use the same PCB for 13S. Similarly on the 11S variant, two rows are “missing”

He would have been fine with the Supower bms except he forgot to turn his board off before storing it.

True @Namasaki :cry:, We had a conversation in your thread some time ago and you suggested me to use my “proper” BMS for discharge instead of my small one for charging only. I did enjoy riding more than change the BMS, now it’s too late, f***!

@longhairedboy I need this BMS for my E-MTB with dual VESC 6 so I think I’ll exceed 60A from time to time. I already almost died because of a remote drop out on full speed approaching a road with traffic :joy:, next killer is the BMS why I can’t break. But I think I give it a try and if it shuts off I’ll use it for charging only (and hopefully don’t forget to switch off my board). Maybe it works.

@jmasta you’re right, that makes sense.

1 Like

yeah… you might need more than 60 amps there. lol

as soon as those open source JTAG ones i’m buying into with the rest of the group prove themselves i’m switching over wholesale. They’re 100 amps and have a fuse holder and a number of other features i need within a smaller footprint.

2 Likes

I use this exact BMS for my street board, 2x 6355 190kv at 12S and I have pulled all the way up to 60A battery current no problem, granted it hasn’t been a sustained load, just when really accelerating hard :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Does anyone know if this wiring diagram is correct for the 12s battery supports BMS??

I have this exact setup and batterys i just need to know if this is correct for regular charging/discharge

Thanks ahead of time!

Have you got a loop key? You’ll need one (or an e-switch) between the vesc and the BMS.

Also, make sure it is between the vesc and where the charging port wires tap into the main line. Otherwise you’ll need your board to be on to charge, which you don’t want.

Yes, I have a loop key exactly where you mentioned between the vesc and where the charging port wires tap into.

So with the loop key in the correct place will this diagram work for this BMS? For the balance wires should i just leave out the ground wires?

ves

1 Like

Make sure you double check the balance port wiring. The numbers 1-12 on the picture above are a bit confusing, I think it should read 12-1, like in the other picture you posted.

Hey can anyone please help me I am having the same problem with my supower 12s BMS. High pitched noise when connecting and powering on esc and voltage is low and fluctuating up and down and esc won’t work…

Anyone please help it is brand new and I am pretty sure I connected it correctly.

Hi @b-rad hello I have the same bms but I don’t know exactly how to connect everything since I always have the current passing … where should I put the loop key? who can help me? in substance bon I manage to cut the current, with or without a loop key it remains all lit … the loop key is on the B-bel bms

So I recently got a chance to test this new BMS hooked up to my lipos and i noticed when i was doing a range test that i would only get about 10 miles per charge… before i hooked up the BMS to my lipos (12s1p) or (3x 4s 10,000mah LIPOS) i was gettting a range of about 16 miles. can someone help me understand what can be causing this and how to fix it? i have a feeling it has to do with the charger. the charger says 12S 12x 3.6V on it but my lipos full charge per cell is 4.20v, im not sure what the 12S 12x 3.6V is suppose to mean if it says that the charger goes up to 50.4v which is what i need for 100%.

this is the BMS used: http://www.batterysupports.com/44v-48v-504v-12s-150a-12x36v-lithium-ion-lipolymer-battery-bms-p-394.html

this is the charger used: http://www.batterysupports.com/432v-44v-504v-4a-lithium-ion-lipo-battery-charger-12s-12x-36v-p-167.html

Meassure output on charger with DMM to see voltage. My guess is that the cutout on the bms hits sooner than without. Guessing u set stepoff voltage in vesc previously?

Discharge battery to what the BMS exhibits as “empty” check individual cell lvls.

Do the same after charging it with the charger to full

Okay sounds like a good plan, but should i use these terminals to check the voltages? or should i check the voltage on the end of the loop key? just to see if it adds up to 50.4v? check the attached image

terminals

There or somehwere else u can see it. W/e works