Why helmet safety has become my #1 priority

Just pinned it back globally @RunPlayBack . There’s a timer when you pin something which is why it probably went down. Hope it’s okay with @onloop.

Also little side story – after a while of owning a GT I got really comfortable with it and stopped wearing pads, mainly just keeping gloves/helmet. Some days I speed around at 26mph in f*#*@ shorts with a half shell helmet and some slide gloves without the puck…

Had two crashes back-to-back days, first was from speeding on a bike path I hadn’t checked for cracks – jumped off and fell backwards only scraping up my hands and tearing up my shorts. Second day I fell within 30 seconds of my work commute wearing nothing but – you guessed it – helmet and gloves. I fell so hard, scraped up my elbow, knee, ankle, and hip due to some shirt stays I was wearing that dug into my skin. Also due to no deadman switch triggered my board accidentally and it hit me in the face on my lip, and oh yeah I fractured my scaphoid (bone in the wrist, the hardest to heal one that typically requires surgery).

Despite the horror that was that day (having to patch myself up with practically one hand, changing bandages and driving to go get more because of so much blood), and the following, I was truly blessed with the way it panned out. From that day forward I’ve been wearing full pads on every single ride including a wrist guard which I thought wasn’t necessary until I realized how often I stick out my hands to land on my palms (force of habit). I had a fall today that would’ve done more damage if I hadn’t been wearing my pads.

I’m convinced now that whether or not you’re an “advanced” rider sometimes it doesn’t even have to be your fault for you to get fucked up. At the end of the day even if you get hit by a car and it’s their fault you’re still the one that gets injured – can’t change that.

7 Likes

I bought the Podium from Amazon in a medium a couple months ago, and it weighs exactly 2.0 lbs. I’m very happy with it. It’s so light, and fits so well that I think it’s easily worth the price. I say go for it.

1 Like

how are you healing? When I fell w/o gloves like 4 months ago on my palms, it still hurts if I put my hands in certain orientation. I’m wondering if it will ever go back to 100%, and I didn’t even fracture anything.

@Spek @Mr_Mahal @Photorph thank you guys for sharing, yup stories like these will definitely bring more safety awareness to those who are just starting out. Can’t wait to livestream the film on the 15th at 7pm. Hopefully you can participate in the Q&A.

5 Likes

I live in a condo neighborhood where our garages faces each other, there are four units on each side. A few times a week. The parents would open all their garages and bring their kids out so they can play together. I would take my board out and just ride a little up and down the neighborhood while my wife is with our daughter. Last week one of the parents asked me why I was wearing a helmet since I was going pretty slow. I almost lost it and went ape$hit on him because he doesn’t see the importance of exercising safety in front of his/our children.

As a parent…scratch that. As an adult, we have to set an example to kids that wearing helmets is normal, that it needs to be worn whenever we step onto a board or a bike or whatever. Sure, WE know the likelihood of brain injury is very small going low speed, but children should never think that!

So make sure you wear a helmet all the time!

4 Likes

Yeah I can definitely relate. After the accident, I put speed limits on my boards. But even then, I won’t just let anyone ride unless they’ve put a few hours into my beginner boards. It’s really about “when” you will fall more than “if” you will fall how will you be prepared to handle it. Having that kind of constant, situational awareness is what’s missing from the culture marketing promoted by many mainstream companies, particularly their social media materials that don’t show riders with helmets. Such a simple thing to do.

I was going to buy one of those Chinese LecDec/Melon/Backfire boards before doing my build. A 21 year old guy started a company rebranding the board as LectricLongboards, and sold them just $400. They took a while to ship and you can tell from all the impatient negative Instagram comments that majority of their customers are young teens.

As much as I would like for the price of these things go down. It scares me that they will get to that “affordable” price where every kid has one. I really think helmets should just be included in the box.

4 Likes

That’s what worries me the most about making eboards “affordable”. The more these chinese boards get pumped out into the wild the more college kids (like myself) will get them and likely start getting f*^* up not wearing a helmet because they skate analog without one. Thankfully its not in the mainstream (yet…) and most peeps are up to their neck in debt and can’t justify the expense. I’m a bit selfish but I really don’t want to see more riders on the road where it hasn’t been legalized yet (pretty much everywhere except california).

1 Like

Another note, always remember you are invisible to pretty much everyone – drivers can’t make sense of what you are doing and pedestrians can only hear you when you get really close. Never assume someone can hear/see you coming even if you have loud motors and are click-clacking on the sidewalk lol

4 Likes

For those that missed it, a comprehensive look at how this thread originated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVZz8EN_NKw

7 Likes

Thanks Rik for making this movie. Shared with my e-longboarding friends.

2 Likes

I skate totally naked covered in the blood of the innocent. The power of Skatan protects me.

18 Likes

Really well done Rik. The footage of the fall shows just how easy it is to come unstuck. So devastating. It reminded me of catching a back edge when snow boarding, you have no way to stop the momentum.

I am not going to share this with my family who watches me head out the door with my esk8 under my arm ( Don’t want to add to their fears!) but this will be shared with all my skater friends.

2 Likes

Thanks for watching Ben, really appreciate all your support with this film :slight_smile:

Awesome video Rik! Watched it on a road trip with the family. Thanks for promoting safety in the esk8 community and to all other skaters!

1 Like

No problem! Sorry if it was a bit of a depressing for a family road trip :slight_smile: Hope they got some good insight on ESK8 culture.

Sometimes someone gives a good example while riding an electric longboard with an helmet like vlogger Sara Dietschy. Unfortunately for her, she confirmed why it’s good to always ride with an helmet on in her latest vlog:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing, just saw that! It really will take bloggers and influencers to push electric skateboard safety to the forefront. While she does say that a biker cut her off, she can’t assume that bikers/cars understand the speed/momentum of an eboard. While she did wear a helmet, there’s a few things she did that raised the risk ladder.

1. As a native NY’er, riding and even driving over the Williamsburg bridge within traffic requires full attention which includes making yourself as noticeable as possible to everything around you. Eye contact and staredowns are key. I remember back in high school, I was driving over the bridge late at night with some friends and we noticed a motorcycle hanging over the side of the bridge. Apparently a car bumped the biker from behind and he fell off the bridge into the river. Terrible stuff.

2. Vlogging with a Sony RX100 and iPhone while riding at top speed on a Boosted over the Williamsburg bridge is not recommended unless you have some serious experience. Not everyone is Casey Neistat.

3. While breaking your cameras suck, the bigger takeaway should have been lowering the risk and accepting some responsibility over that. NY’ers are NY’ers and if you lack that situational/defensive awareness, you will get hurt.

3 Likes