Why helmet safety has become my #1 priority

how this woman got out of her car. i would have been worried that i just cracked someone’s skull but she doesn’t seem to be to worried. i’m not sure if she realized how close this one was.

She already stopped before the impact, so whatever happened next is not her fault, probably thats why she’s so calm :smiley:

Anyway, here’s my eMTB safety, what’s Yours :smirk:?

4 Likes

She did really well to stop so well. It definately could have been worse where he would have gone under the car as well.

2 Likes

i didn’t say anything against her driving or that it’s her fault i was just wondering how little she seemed to be shocked by just hitting a not really protected person head on. and yes he was lucky that she did brake so he didn’t go under. and hummie is right it is after all the shocking things you hear it is nice to see that your body can actually take quiet a beating even though I am for protective gear.

1 Like

Yeah downhill riders are whole different breed, God bless them :slight_smile: I feel like the majority of ESK8 injuries that crop up here don’t look that spectacular but can still be just as devastating due to a moderate awareness of risk. Once manufacturing costs lower and kids can afford to blast downhill on an electric, we’ll start seeing injuries that you can’t walk away from.

from all the videos I’ve seen of crashes or “unwanted dismounts” the secret seems to be skipping meals and staying ultra skinny.

3 Likes

So, um, uh, whatcha got there? Me likey. I’m real close to pulling the trigger on a full face helmet like that.

Heeeey that’s pretty good! :wink: O’neal Warp helmet

1 Like

@Jeff and I rode today both of us using TSG Pass helmets. Highly recommended and super comfortable :fist:

2 Likes

Will definitely add a helmet to my list now! Thanks for your story!

1 Like

@RunPlayBack those TSG helmets look amazing. I use a predator DH6 myself, it’s lighter than the TSG pass. Although I think the TSG looks cooler. I also have a moto GP level leather suit for anytime I plan on going above 30 mph for downhill or Esk8. I’m in MI so DH is hard to do now w/o traveling to my friend’s place in North Carolina, so I’m trying to replicate DH with Esk8. Anyway this suit is total overkill but seriously safe, impact and abrasion protection like none other. It’s a pain to take on and off though, so most of the time when i’m just cruising and staying under 30 mph I don’t it. If you see my other videos I always have a full face helmet, and if I’m going 20-30 mph I throw on pads under my normal clothes.

here are my leathers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7RT_-zIUjw

Also @Jeff told me you all are in a2. I need to ride with you guys sometime, I’m over an hour away but I think i need to go up to a2 to ride. I live in a flat area, but a2 at least has some hills where I can test my board out (12s, enertion r spec dual drive, LHB deck).

2 Likes

haha I’m ultra skinny, 6ft and 135 lbs… only one unwanted dismount on an esk8 at 20 mph…and 2 while doing normal longboarding. The key is to stay within your limits, the minute you feel like you are going beyond what you should or that you aren’t familiar with the roads you are on…that’s when things can go south.

Hey, I use a helmet but I am really interested in a full face helmet. Does anyone have an reccomendations for a lighweight full face helmet?

Haha great video. Ur a man of many dangers and have the suit for them all.

The main ones used on this forum are the Predator DH6 or the TSG Pass.

There are SO many full face helmets that downhill longboarders use. A lot of them use mountain biking or motorcross helmets. A lot of them use aero helmets too (which you don’t need). I think for Esk8 a downhill specific helmet works best. The 3 main companies that make those are triple 8, TSG and predator. From everything I’ve heard the predator DH6 and TSG pass are the better ones.

Predator DH6 is one size fits all, it comes with foam inserts and you add those to make it snug. It’s really long, see my videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6w5jwWeYy_l0OGjYqVL1Ow to see what I mean in terms of the length. Sticks out really far from your chin. Also it comes with an orange and clear visor, I had to pay extra to get a black one.

The TSG pass comes in 3 sizes and I’ve heard many positive things about it. It looks the best in my opinion. It is slightly heavier than the predator DH6. I haven’t tried one personally, but if I was buying one I’d get one of those now…for the looks factor. It comes with a mirror finish and clear visor I believe.

The other advantage of a full face helmet is you can use the visor to block wind which can get annoying and cause teary eyes. And you can also mount an action camera to your chin or the the side of the helmet. I just attached an external lav mic and put it inside my helmet, so it can make for some awesome video with clear voice dialogue.

1 Like

Cool what part of MI are you at? Brad (not sure what his handle is on here) came from Macomb county at the last meet which was about 1 hour and 20 minutes away. We’ll also be at the Detroit Maker Faire at the Henry Ford in Dearborn in July. You should check out our FB page, lots of MI people on there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/A2ESK8/

The TSG Pass is really nice.

Thanks guys for all the great info!

Rochester hills area. I would have come to the Detroit maker faire but it looks like it’s july 30…? I got work that day.

1 Like