Why helmet safety has become my #1 priority

That’s good for cold weather but I’m looking for something a bit more comfortable during the summer… Seems like unless I’m performance testing there’s no real need to be wrapped up in armor. I have some dainese trail skin elbow pads, pretty nice, breathable. Not sure how much armor I’ll realistically put on though every time I walk out the door.

Probably a lot of factors here that are different for all of us in regards to safety gear - geography is probably the biggest variable. For example, going fast commuting to work isn’t practical because I work in a dense city. Traffic, weather, road conditions, experience, etc. also come into play. I think you’ll have to weigh how high the risk is but I think we can all agree that helmets are mandatory across the board. Safety gear can minimize some risk but predicting how a car or pedestrian will react to your speed is variable. In a closed course like a parking lot or other open space feels more appropriate for speed and full blown armor/protection. Basically what I’m saying is slow down if you’re commuting to work lol. Sorry I’m just being a Dad again.

2 Likes

I appreciate the advice, I probably will slow down some day ahaha. But really I think from previous commutes during the day I can judge when it wouldn’t be appropriate to go max speed based off of my conditions. Likely wouldn’t be going 25mph when I get into the city, but in the suburbish area I’m in (first part of my commute) cars are usually going pretty fast. That being said I don’t think I should need full armor for a work commute if I’m just mindful I guess…

I will probably steal your helmet for my summer commuting, this thing looks so nice I can’t ignore it…and they came out with a 2016 version that’s a bit larger than the previous to accommodate non-pointy heads:

1 Like

@RunPlayBack Just took a ride with my new TSG Pass helmet. Pretty impressed with it. Lightweight, not too hot, and great visibility!

I feel like I should be wearing some sort of jacket to prevent road rash on my shoulders incase I take a slide on the pavement.

Anyone have experience with lightweight protective jackets? I found this one: http://www.revzilla.com/product/icon-anthem-2-jacket#reviews_tab

1 Like

You should probably carry a durable backpack too. The few times I’ve fell from bike or esk8 at high speed I’ve end up having my back against the ground. My backpack probably saved me from spine injuries quite a few times.

1 Like

I wear a north face Jester, probably the highest quality backpack I’d get lol

When I did fall I didn’t land on my back, but I slid on my shoulder which was covered by my 2 layered colombia jacket and it got torn through right to my shoulder. Would’ve probably gotten pretty aggressive road rash without a jacket… Probably shouldn’t have been night riding when I was first learning to eboard : p

I checked out that jacket @Jeff, I had the same idea. Bit pricey for me atm, that’s the main challenge with getting high quality protective gear that looks good : p found a few other cheaper jackets, still can’t quite find the right one. Might just take the road rash. Will be somewhat minimized with pads on at least. (kidding, I’ll have to continue my search :/)

Nice…we gotta shoot some video with the TSG’s soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a quick update in regards to my original post. TL;DR - a good friend suffered a traumatic brain injury while eboarding and had to take him to the ER.

He’s at home and recovering nicely in the 11 days since the accident. He looks great! However I don’t want to downplay the accident. TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) is a very serious injury. One moment the person is normal and the next moment life has abruptly changed. Fortunately his main symptoms at the moment are headaches which have been slowly subsiding. With his family and doctors monitoring him closely, the healing is strong.

When he’s up for it, I’ll make a video that explains what we’ve been through and share it with you all. But in the meantime, here’s a couple of goofy guys who are feeling really blessed today. :slight_smile:

24 Likes

AWESOME NEWS!! I am totally stoked to hear that things are going well. Robbie looks like he’s feeling pretty damn great in that pic. I was worried about y’all. Thanks for the update, Rik! :v:

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah he’s making great progress and I told him about this thread. He is stoked that it’s sparked all this safety gear convo and helmet purchases! :pray:

2 Likes

Yup Bern makes some really sweet helmets. It’s such a small detail but that flip visor is a really nice touch.

1 Like

That’s great news! Glad to hear your buddy is recovering well. I’ve been witness to a few mountain bike related head injuries growing up, and it’s amazing how quickly things can go bad, even with a helmet. From those experiences, I’ve made a point to always wear a helmet when biking, snowboarding, etc., but only started wearing one on a skateboard when I went electric. Maybe it’s cause I never went faster than 10-15mph when I was pushing, but now I put on full pads/helmet each time I eSk8.

1 Like

I ordered the jacket. It is a bit pricey but if it saves me from some road rash even once it is worth it to me.

I’ll report back on how it works.

1 Like

That jacket looks sweet dude. Does it have any type of foam plating inside of it? Usually, for me, the problem with falling off of a board is that my joints, namely my elbow and shoulder takes on the brunt of the kinetic energy and tears my muscle apart. And that’s with some elbow pads. Maybe a long sleeve and armor jacket? Regardless please stay safe!

It has the non-Newtonian 3DO material. That means it is flexible when you move it, but becomes rock solid under impact.

1 Like

Great to hear he’s getting better Rik! :smiley:

1 Like

Got my own via Amazon this AM. Im thinking, when I get the VESC, my DIY will have double speed then my stock Yuneec so better safe then sorry.

2 Likes

This is why you need a full face helmet if your going at speed and on roads. Not my vid. Be warned its not nice.

6 Likes

This video encourages me to do more dangerous shit. Guy got right up smiling and kept going! Did have a helmet though. This is a rare example where a helmet was for sure a help

Noticed he didnt have much else on in terms of protective gear. Those down hillers are crazy.

2 Likes