Why helmet safety has become my #1 priority

Ouch, I took a similar nasty spill due to the crappy winning remote. I rolled all over the place, but somehow only hurt my thumb. Took weeks for the skin to grow back though. Gloves, I would say, are the second most important safety gear. You’ll always instinctively brace with your hands, and they’re the most likely to get scuffed up. I’m using an old pair of leather drumming gloves right now, which have protect me against a few spills, but they’re starting to show their wear.

4 Likes

Yeap I had a bad sleep, kept holding my arms upon the air all night lol…:grin:

Damn, you guys have sustained some pretty nasty injuries. I hope you all heal up fast and gear up in the end. I feel your pain.

Having accepted the reality that an accident WILL happen at some point, and to avoid this very situation, I’ve been going with full knee, elbow, wrist pads, gloves and a full face helmet for my “serious” rides where I’ll get up to 30mph/50kmh, and I’m still feeling like I could use more protection. I’m seriously looking into those plastic “armored” jackets like @RunPlayBack’s buddy wears. Although, it’s hard to tell which ones are good or not. Suggestions? :wink:

On my more mellow rides, up to 20mph/33kph, I still wear gloves, wrist guards, and a half bike helmet, at minimum. Gotta at least protect the most vital and easily injured areas. For me, this hobby/sport is way too fun to ruin by injuring myself, when the safety gear and protection is so readily available. Plus, knowing that I’m mostly protected allows me to relax more and enjoy the riding experience.

Y’all stay safe out there. :punch:

2 Likes

Nurses use this all the time on pressure sores for patients, I hear it is great! So as a person who has worked with burn patients in the past, Keep those bandaged with some kind of ointment with antibiotic… (silver sulfadiazine) is the gold standard. Also let them get some air uncovered for a few hours in the evening so they dry out a little. Good luck.

I might have to share these photos on the boosted reddit where I always get a few people who start arguing that you don’t need protective gear for a boosted.

4 Likes

Arrived.

11 Likes

Uh no idea what boosted reddit is but go ahead dude, let them know what pain actually is. :joy:

I even consider myself as a wound expert now lol.

I agree. Link them to Session Error as well. I’ve biked with a fixie and my landyatch switchblade for years now around campus and Downton Hamilton and never wore a helmet mainly because I was being an idiot. Left school to work at an internship for a year and a half, obviously grew up and smartened up. On my first day of my board I went straight to a bike shop and picked one up, it’d just rather or risk it, don’t know what I was thinking before hand but it’s just stupid not to. That and some good quality leather gloves.

3 Likes

You know what the irony is? Over here in NYC I see younger kids with Boosted not wearing gears more than adults. I feel old just trying to tell them to remember to wear gears. :unamused:

3 Likes

Someday they will learn that it has nothing to do with being “cool” to wear no helmet.

2 Likes

I was cruising to work with my board but the road was a little wet this morning on some spots. Did easy and gentle carving at around 20 -25 km/h. Normally i am much faster. And from one moment to the other i made a highsider and looked right up in the air with my back in the direction where i was going and my head where i was coming from. And then had a very hard impact on my back head. Luckily i was wearing a bicycle helmet (which i wear most of the time, but not always) and a motorcycle textile jacket (looks cool and protects). Then had one or two barrel rolls and came to a stop. Without the helmet i am very sure that i would be in hospital right now or even worse. Now my neck and my hip hurts a bit but nothing serious. First thing i did when i arrived at work was ordering a Skate helmet to protect more of my head. And i still don’t understand how this could happen (very gentle cruising). I only can suggest to wear a helmet at EVERY ride which i will do now. Also if it is only a short 50 meter test run.

BTW: When i had my big motorcycle crash i was only going 50km/h and lost a kidney and broke my hip, spine, elbow and every rip i have on the left side multiple times. And i was wearing full high quality protection gear. But when there is a car infront of you which comes out of nowhere you will hit it like a wall. And the same can happen to us. So wear a helmet at least, because bones can break and heal. Damaged brains mostly don’t.

Also the doctors at the hospital said that they can safe the most people as long as the brain is ok. But the most who have a brain injury don’t make it.

7 Likes

@Ackmaniac Thanks for sharing. Good to have you here still able to text and lick your minor wounds. Sounds like you averted tragedy today. All it takes is a split second to change everything. What helmet did you get?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/716sBhMswFL.SL1500.jpg Hope it fits.

3 Likes

So my helmet did its job last night (yeah, about 12 hours after I got it). I don’t actually have much memory of the actual accident, or of the few hours after. I apparently got myself to the side of the road, campus EMS attended to me, and I somehow got them to call my wife, who then brought me to the ER (which is where my memory starts returning) and I was diagnosed with a concussion. I’ve been laying down and sleeping most of the day. So I’m out of commission for about a week (and my professors are being very accommodating), but I’m doing okay :smiley:

My best guess is that I hit a giant rock, given that my front wheel has a giant slash in it…

14 Likes

Sorry to hear about your crash! Glad you’re alive! Sounds like it would have been way more serious without the helmet

Indeed. Thank you! Definitely another plug for getting a helmet. $250 for a helmet saved me who knows how much in hospital bills, and possible permanent damage.

7 Likes

Or death… Looks like the full face did its job too. Was that the point of inpact? Your cheek?

Yeah, exactly. GET A HELMET FRIENDS!!

Not sure. Memory is non existent of the crash, so definite possibility. I know my left elbow has a little road rash (had a jacket on, so it was probably minimized), my knees are slightly rashed (had jeans on), and my left shoulder is a little bruised, but that’s all I know. I’m still piecing things together.

Do you know how fast you were going? Glad you’re ok!

Holy crap dude, you saved your brain! Eat well and sleep well to get what you lost back. Hope you recover fine and smoothly. :heart_eyes: