Why helmet safety has become my #1 priority

haha true. I doubt I’ll ever be pulled over, but if I am, I’m not gonna run, cause it’s not like they can do much.

I can’t agree with you more! Something similar happened to me.

About a year ago, I was longboarding down a really big hill by my house in Tennessee. I was hitting about 45mph, which was a little out of comfort zone, but I did it anyway because I’m a thrill seeker. I had done this particular hill one time the previous day, and it was a ton of fun, so I decided to do it again. I was not wearing a helmet.

I woke up the hospital two days later with a subdural hematoma. Someone had found me in the middle of the road, covered in blood. When the paramedics arrived, they put me into an induced coma to reduce the amount of brain swelling. Even so, there was a lot of swelling in my brain because of the bleeding, which caused damage to my auditory nerve, balance nerve, and facial nerve. I had facial paralysis for several weeks, and I couldn’t walk without assistance for nearly a month. Luckily, my face and balance got better. My auditory nerve, however, did not. I permanently damaged my auditory nerve, and now i have terrible hearing, among other issues.

I can’t stress this enough:

WEAR A HELMET

11 Likes

I bought a helmet today thanks to this thread. :wink:

4 Likes

I work at a hospital in Austin, last week a young kid (early 20’s) got the wobbles bombing a hill, no helmet, now he’s in a coma in the ICU. Really messed up bad. So YES to protection! Helmets are your best friend.

3 Likes

Agreed. I ride the places in her vid on a regular basis and very few people know much about E-boards and how fast they go. Bikers are used to blowing past skaters like they’re practically standing still. Cars are the same way. The general public does not understand the capabilities of our boards so we cannot ride like they do. Few bikers expect a person on a longboard to be able to hit 20+mph going up hill or even on flats.

Technically, it’s the bikers fault for not looking before changing lanes, but I’d put the blame on the girl. You have to be extra cautious around others while riding and always yield. Fortunately she came out with out any major injuries.

1 Like

Just came across these and figured they’d be a great alternative for e-skaters who would otherwise go without any head protection. Also the logo on it kinda looks like the Enertion logo :slight_smile: @onloop : http://crasche.com/product/thrashe-knit-hat

Wow interesting. I wonder if it instills a false sense of protection for those who don’t wear helmets? Not related but there are some folks who don’t wear seat belts because they have airbags in their cars.

I wouldn’t trust that hat if i was going anything over 10kmh / 6mph.

I like the idea of that hat! I’ll have to try one out. Could work well for taking the dog for a walk or riding with the kids.

I just saw this on Instagram I think, might be another interesting type of protection… http://www.hovding.com/how_hovding_works

Uhh I got plenty of tickets for skateboarding when I was 15!

1 Like

Umm…

Why combine the the idea air bag helmet?

Lol

3 Likes

You’d be spending quite a lot changing the airbags on that with the amount of falling that can happen with a skateboard compared to a bike

This thread changed my mind about safety ! Ordered a helmet the same day I read this

7 Likes

I got taken to the police department a few times for not wearing a helmet on a bicycle and for riding on the sidewalk. They called my mom and gave me/her a ticket.

What is stupid is that it is illegal to ride on the sidewalks where I grew up, but there are no bike lanes, So the law is that if you are a minor, wear a helmet and ride where the cars drive

1 Like

Lots of very good info here! Can an expert tell the explanation why the skateboard crashes are so severe? If you fall from a bike it does not seem so deadly… (or so it seems)

Thanks for input anyway!

** I’ve fallen once. Was about 8 yrs old or even younger… Hit a small rock with my bicycle front tire… and that’'s all I remember… luckly it was soft ground - sand… I woke up, saw my teared up jeans, bruises on the hands… though that was all I had… kind of lucky I assume.

1 Like

I think you should run a ‘‘campaign’’ or ‘‘info-mercial’’ - short story of the main points of your documentary!

The idea behind this documentary is staggering… I think it wont be enough to just cover the 15 000 viewers there are now on youtube and people on this forum. .

Just my 2 cents after watching a 20min documentary with powerful message knowing that not all know about this clip nor all will watch all of the 20minutes…

Im No expert but I’d say it’s from having the vehicle under your feet. Sudden changes in acceleration effect your center of gravity from the most extreme point possible. If you ever catch a heel edge on a snowboard, you’ll learn how fast you can get whipped into the ground. Plus speed, plus asphalt.

4 Likes

Yeah, I think that’'s the case, with bicycle you are not standing straight like a pole… and bicycle usually ‘‘offers’’ you to fly forward instead of backward… with skateboard it’s a lot worse, since, like in video, it can make you fall on your head backwards.

Protective reflex is your #1 enemy here. When you fall, your upper extremities will usually hyperextend institively to lessen the blow of the fall. That usually breaks bones or joints. While on bike, you’re holding onto a handle which suppress the protective reflex for a few seconds, which is enough time to lessen the blow to the arms. However, that’s actually why there are more legs and shouler injuries for cyclists and more impact injuries to the arms and head for snowboarders. Wear your wrist guard and helmets people :wink:

3 Likes