Where do I get an anti spark and what is it used for?

Continuing the discussion from How I made my lipo packs slimmer!:

XT90-S hobbyking theyre like $2 and to prevent sparks when connecting batteries in series or parallel prevents damaging to your expensive components

you can make your own, or buy an anti-spark switch.

It’s used to slow the “inrush” of the current when they connect. unchecked you get a big “POP”/spark. Higher voltages = bigger spark. It literally melts/burns away a bit of the metal on the connectors each time it sparks. So over time your connectors will wear out on higher voltage connections. (8s/10s/12s) 4 and 6s will spark - but pretty minimal.

here’s an overly involved and more difficult than necessary “how-to” if you want to make your own anti-spark loop key: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/how-to-anti-spark-xt-90-loop-key/204

Best of luck and hope it helps!

1 Like

Can I just buy one of these

Hey @Caleb1 - not sure if you are asking for a fully made anti-spark loop key like i made in the tutorial, or just a single XT90 anti-spark connector to make your own?

Usually someone has one in the market area - either an anti-spark switch or used AS loop key like mine.

Quick search on amazon found a simple loop key (not anti-spark), but no AS Loop key.

If you can make your own, i also recommend one of the 3d printed mounts i believe @mmaner shared to make it easy to mount in an enclosure! (nice work as always Sir!)

HTH - GL!

1 Like

@Caleb1

2 Likes