What fuse do you use?

fwiw i rode on dual VESCs 5065 200kv motors and a 10s4p pack with 40 battery max and 50 motor max on both VESCs and rode fine for weeks. I even went up a long and steep hill that made my motors pretty toasty. It was only when i punched it full throttle from slow speeds racing @evoheyax, that i blew the fuse.

@DeathCookies not sure what you mean, his video drew 30a max at 10s

1 Like

I wanted to show you that you normally dont pull that much ampere even if you were going up to 50kmh! Thus i do not think we need such a high rated fuse. But i would appreciate if someone proves me wrong with some vesc logging data. :slight_smile:

A blown fuse in a real world situation with the relevant data is all the proof I need :grinning: I’m going 60a

40A on each VESC or 20A on each VESC?

Just one fuse within the anti spark switch between batteries and VESCs.

yea… I’m still recovering from the scrape that got infected. Worst part is I’m on vacation! I might throw a 60-80a inline fuse later, or just risk it and run fuse-less.

I didn’t say you were wrong, half the time you post it’s wildly off topic and only tries to further your own aimless agenda. If you want to test your theories, get your own VESCs and board and test them, then report back. I’m not even sure what you’re trying to do by continuing to spew all these words about motor and battery currents.

1 Like

If you want to talk about your theories, @elkick already proved you wrong about why the bursts of speed happen. It’s not because of some asinine reason as “wrong motor/battery current ratio”, it was because of the limitations of having 2 shunts.

Thinking about adding a fuse to my setup. So what is the final consensus about fuses?

I have 10S4P battery + 2 VESC-X + dual 6355 190kv motors. Will 40 amp ATC fuse be enough? Spacecells use with exact fuses. But this kind of fuses are rated for 32 Volts, which gives me some doubts about it.

I am not riding at super crazy speeds (at least for now), but I might need to go uphill occasionally. I set 20 Amp motors limit in each VESC, so 40 Amp fuse looks like a good match. But I am worried that voltage rating of ATC fuses is not enough for 10S setup.

For 10s I’d recommend at least a 60A fuse. Mine blew and got me injured pretty bad. Personally, I don’t run a fuse anymore.

2 Likes

Thanks, Jinra. Then I’ll keep riding without a fuse. Later I might add a 60A strip fuse to my XT90S anti-spark key, like discussed here

Something like this

https://hc-cargo.co.uk/catalog/p/191187--strip-fuse

or

https://hc-cargo.co.uk/catalog/p/192319--strip-fuse

Just adding my question here… I’ve read through the thread but still not quite sure.

I have a 10s3p battery with 190kv 6355 motors (like the enertion r-spec ones) and I’m running 50A batt max. I’ve bought a 60A maxi fuse and want to make sure this is enough?

Will hard acceleration from standstill or acceleration uphill spike the current enough to potentially blow a 60A fuse?

Should I be using a 80A fuse?

nice rhyme

If your battery max is 50, and the pack is good for 60, I’d get a 60a fuse. No use having a fuse that won’t trip until the batteries are pushing so much current that they’re damaging themselves.

I’m more worried about current spikes. Will there be spikes that will blow a 60A fuse with my setup?

My previous board (with a 10s3p Space Cell) had a 40A fuse and my VESC battery max was set to 40A and I live in a city surrounded by long, steep hills and the fuse never blew.

Different fuses will tolerate different periods of time at their rated current before they blow though so there’s no real definitive number you can stick to if unless the manufacturer provides this.

If you’re using a 10S3P pack then I definitely wouldn’t recommend going any higher than 50A in your settings if you want the battery to have a decent life. A 60A fuse should probably be fine for your settings