What deck is best for building your own electric skateboard?

http://loadsofdecks.com/?sortby=small

Hi, this website could be helpful to choose a deck.

Hey guys. Im a custom deck builder and have my own personal preferences, but what would any of you guys say would be your ideal specs for an e-boards set up using the exertion components. Ie Any deck flex? Length? Wheels base? Wheel diameter and hardness? etc.

Id say less flex is better for mounting batteries and components, and wheels of 70mm absolute minimum for decent gearing. (83mm is most common I believe) length is really up to you. obviously a longer deck gives you more room to mount stuff, but I have set up a 31" deck without too much issue.

Ok cool thanks @lowGuido. Can you tell me more about why that wheel diameter is better? Is it speed related? Motor clearance related? I have my own wheels which are 65mm diameter I was considering using.

its just that its almost impossible to fit a drive gear to anything smaller. if you tried to use 65mm wheels the drive gear would be the same size as the wheels!

Check this out, it talks about wheel size and why its important.

Yep fair call thanks.

Thanks onloop. Killer writeup. Really good data. Cheers.

So I have most of the electronics needed except for high mah batteries. What deck would be the best to mount a lot of batteries on?

There is a thread about what decks are the best. Any top mount board with the ammount of wheel base that you need

1 Like

@chaka has a deck that can fit 80pcs of 18650 cells inside…

Also, I offer a Compression Molded carbon fiber deck which can accommodate several LIPO or the SPACE Cell.

http://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/optimized/1X/4a89d3db82ecba9b457e7a1af5b30b4a6cc1d03c_1_690x458.jpg

otherwise, if you just want a general guide to help you choose/buy a deck from a local skateshop that will work well for an eboard read this:

Thanks Ill look at the dimensions, I want to have some large 6s packs in reserve for longer trips, so Ill see if the deck is big enough.

Downhill decks are pretty sweet because they are stiff- flex is usually not what you want because components don’t like flexing… my current eboard in progress is on this deck, and I absolutely love it.

5 Likes

Trying to lay out my components on Landyachtz Switchblade 38". Looks like there is enough room. Not sure about ground clearance. May have to change change to top mount.

4 Likes

Plenty of room! That setup would be sick!

1 Like

I built my own, but any downhill deck will work fine. Things to check for are deck stiffness and wheelbase. Outside of that its basically whatever you can make work and are comfortable with.

1 Like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Longboard-Downhill-Top-Mount-quality-skateboard-blank-9-75-x-35-5-Brick-/172131446843

opinions on this deck please?

1 Like

That looks sick as hell. i’ve bought a blank deck or two from ebay, haven’t been disappointed so far.

Thanks im thinking about using this to replace my Vanguard board. I hate it lol

Ha! I just bought one of these to build for someone. You need, at least, a 1/2’’ spacer for 83mm wheels. And you’ll still get a little wheel bite if you lean far enough.