What advantages do VESCs have

Continuing the discussion from Help with my build:

I finished my build. I have some concerns that I would like to know if a VESC would solve.

Do all VESC have breaks and will they work well?

I have to starts my accelerating slow(not push it down too far till I get going). Do VESCs not need that or do they have that programmed in?

Problems I have with my boat ESC is that it only has no breaks it just keeps rolling. Starting I have to start slow. When I let off the throttle it does not slow down too much.

You can enable or disable breaks.

The controlling is the best i had so far. If you have a good transmitter (i.e. GT2B/E) the controlling is very sensitive and is acting like you would expect it! The torque of this ESC generates is brilliant!

To put it all in a nutshell: In my opinion the VESC is the best ESC. You can configure (nearly) all settings you can imagine! The next advantage is that it is open source. You can pull any data from the VESC and build your own applications! Last thing is the price. A 12S ESC is quite expensive but this ESC (100€) is quite cheap for this giant performance!

1 Like

Could to mentions what VESC you are using and where I can get it

Can anyone with experience with the Torqueboard 12s esc give any pros or cons on its performance? I’m waiting for the dual Torqueboard 12s esc’ s in the mail and didn’t know what to expect. Does this esc provide any breaking options? Thank you for this forum.

It has brakes and limited programming options which you’ll need a programming card or usb card to program.

Also, slightly off topic, but I’ve seen “brake” spelled wrong like 100 times in the eskate community, kind of funny.

2 Likes

Yes I ordered the programming card as well. Thanks for the information and quick reply. You are totally write (right) about the spelling of brake, you should never trust talk to text. Lol

I’m using chaka’s vesc which can be bought Here! It’s the most expensive one on the market, but he offers a great warranty on it (basically will fix it no questions asked if it breaks on you or even if you break it doing something stupid). He is also using very high quality components. I have had lots of problems with my enertion VESCs. Never with chaka’s and I run them in the harsh, hilly environment of San Francisco.

Honestly, there’s a few features this speed controller has that set it apart from the crowd.

• You can set limits for practically everything so that you don’t break the esc, motor, or your batteries. The ability to limit amps to your motor means you won’t blow out motors due to too many amps. The ability to set a min cutoff eliminates the need for a bms to protect your batteries from over discharging. This is of course, if you set these settings correctly. But there’s a whole community here ready to double check your calculations if you ask kindly :slight_smile:

• FOC mode is a great way to get rid of the whinny motor noise that BLDC mode creates, while slighting increasing torque and lowering top speed. I my mind, it’s the future of electric skateboards.

• You have so many settings to configure (100’s) that if you spend enough time and engery researching and figuring out the right values for your motor and battery, you can get perfect acceleration and braking.

• Regen braking means you recharge your battery while breaking. Great if you have super steep hills you go down. I was able to recharge my space cell by 12% in just 3 long downhill blocks. Really does help extend the battery life at times, but it also depends on riding style and terrain. It’ll usually does very little to extend my ride, as I rarely brake.

These are what stands out to me. It’s really the perfect speed controller. The only downside is, it’s not plug and play. You need to research it, and spend a good amount of time understanding how it works, and how to configure it. Luckily, I wrote a guide that pieces everything together for you Here!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :slight_smile: