Water proofing?

speaking of silicone, i just received a whole roll of black silicone sheeting to use as gaskets. When I got it i took it out of the box to look at and feel and I think its going to be a real winner when I finally get my boxes ready and need to make gaskets.

I just tried to dig through my email but i can’t find the order confirmation with the link on it. Blast!

So i have to runs some checks but im almost positive i killied my ubec in the rain last night. Everything but the wire connections were flooded. So the ubec was ny furst item to die dyring rain.

Are you located in the us? I have one if you want.

Yeah I am here in San Francisco, Good chance I will hit up amazon unless you are here in the city as well?

I’m out here in Chicago. I can send it to you as long as it’s no more than a couple bucks to send. At no charge to you of course.

Actually thanks bruh but I found some on amazon that allowed me to use my prime account and get them here today hahaha

However… I took freehand willy apart last night, with everything apart I try and get a test fire to work. The wheels spin up and all is well. So now I have some extra UBEC action for the 3 VESCs I am currently sitting on lol

Also got some hot glue so that I can use that to help keep the water out some. Speaking of hot glue… longhariedboy’s post about hot glue

1 Like

After having raided the kitchen drawers for my lunchbox enclosures, I raided the sock drawer and found this silicone rubber swim cap:

Which is perfect for some extra waterproffing of my battery box, which wasn’t sealing perfectly due to the thickness of my lipo’s:

Aftere scalpeling the top off, I now have a perfect secondary seal for those particularly wet days, which also functions as a safety to keep the lid on tight:

2 Likes

Nobody thinks about their bearings? when they get in water they are pretty much fubar…

@trbt555 Thats genius.

I’m thinking about buying Orangatang Kegel Harfang wheels, also made for riding in the rain.

(i dont plan on actually going out and riding in the rain, but if i get caught by the shitty Dutch weather, i don’t want to lose my traction/grip and make it back home/work.)

2 Likes

Not if you’re running sealed stainless steel bearings.

1 Like

i load mine up with silicone lubricant… and the outside is sealed anyway… rain and puddles have yet to cause me a noticeable drop in performance due to bearings getting wet and corroding.

or even better, ceramic

1 Like

My swim cap did a good job of keeping the gunk out today. It was pretty wet out. Great for sliding. Not so great for carving.

2 Likes

I’ve had ceramics on my push deck for over a year and have been caught in the wet stuff and they are still going strong.

Thought of your swim cap system and want to share this. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/cigar-travel-case Looks like a great easy access alternative to lot of the enclosures I’ve seen. They are pretty stout and can probably take a good hit. Been protecting my other endeavor for years now.

2 Likes

LOL I always needed a watertight case when I’m travelling with cigars :wink:

1 Like

It keeps the cigar juice from leaking out. lol

1 Like

I wonder if they also work with Mary Jane :wink:

nah man that’s what the Stash Block is for. For all your steezy green!

2 Likes

I know this thread is ancient, but I have a question.

Im thinking of covering my motor with an aluminum shield similar @Airlocktechnics, but im afraid this will induce eddy currents in the aluminum because of the nearby moving magnets. This will cause the aluminum to heat up and drag on the motor…

Is this a legitimate concern or will I be fine if I leave at least a couple mm clearance?

Should be fine, there is already a steel can around your magnets wich is keeping most of the flux inside. Anyways brushless motors generally are safe to run in wet conditions.