Voltage Sag -- What is the most suitable battery cell?

haha I went prone on my speed run for 12S. I beat physics

1 Like

I think you mean you proved physics if you ended up face down on the concrete :yum:

@PXSS did you managed to find the Cd for a person? Here it is using a 0.9Cd (Wikipedia value for a general cyclist) and a frontal area of 0.65 m^2 that i found in a paper, when i have time i will take a picture of myself on the board and measure it

Most important, this is mechanical power on the wheels, not the power your VESC on power meter shows, no losses are being taken into account

Edit: i think i messed up something on the torque calculation, i will look into it latter

Edit2: found it, i forgot to convert the speed to m/s, now it makes sense

I went to the office and completely forgot to look it up in my aero book. There is a pretty big difference between standing person and cyclists as they do whatever is possible to reduce drag

I agree, on another paper I found the Cd of a standing person to be 0.6, but on our case is a twisted standing up, anybody have a wind tunnel laying arround?:laughing:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll make a note to look at it first thing in the AM. You can assume 1.2, itā€™ll be something like that.

@Pedrodemio: between 1.0-1.3 based on size. The reference was a 5ā€™9" 180lbs male. FIY: you can lose 10% drag by losing your clothesā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

@Pedrodemio Could you post a bit more detailed graphs - with smaller units ?

I would like to take a look at torque needed and also exact power (watts) needed at certain speedsā€¦

As it is a picture format, I dont feel very confident to try draw some lines and tell is it 300w or 400wā€¦

ā€“ Other than that - I think this is pretty cool topic with lots of valuable infoā€¦ so sorry for bringing it up once again ( :smiley: )

I might actually draw out a few quotes / texts out of this topic and insert - make a new topic about batteries in general.

1 Like

Sure, as soon I get home Iā€™ll plot them

What range you would like? 10% max grade should provide a clearer picture

Yes, the flat, 5, 10, 15% values might be good to see more clearly :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Pedrodemio Very nice. One remark i have is that it would be nice to have the acceleration not in m/s. Better would be the speed gain per second. This way it would be easier to understand it. So 1m/sĀ² would mean that we are 3,6 km/h faster each second. So after one second we reached 3,6 km/h , after 2 seconds 7,2 km/h and so on.

I will do that if makes easier to understand

Next step will be to model rolling resistance and no load motor power and belt drag, the last two is gonna be a little more complicated since I have to design and assembly a dyno for it and the results will be exclusive for my board setup

1 Like

To have a very precise reading you can reduce your boards power to exactly 250 watts or 300 watts. Find very flat track and see how fast you can go with that power. Then it is easy to use that for calculations. It is nice to know the exact power that is needed for a specific speed. But in the real world we want to know to which watts we have to adjust the VESC to reach those speeds. Because then also motor efficiency comes into place. Means we know what goes in the motor but we donā€™t know what comes out exactly.

With 300 watts at the vesc I get around 31 km/h on flat ground. But I have to test that again because I never did a precise test run.

1 Like

Thatā€™s one way to do it, I just need a way to get real time data, my next remote might sold this with a screen. My only fear is that I will pay more attention to the screen that on the road :grin: