VESC6 Cost and Who is It made for?

I been a software developer for now about 19 years… 15 years of those was on Linux, GCC, and the like. BV is definitely too mum on his expectations after releasing everything open source hoping for donations and now this whole about face in which one party doesn’t say anything and we hear only surrogates chime in is very, very weird.

For all we know, this could all just a foiled Bond-villainy plot, give everything away for free, build up the community and then issue a trademark move to try to gain a chokehold on a product. Now I say foiled because outside of this website, nobody cares what VESC means. If the nextgen FOCBox has better stats and reliability than VESC6 then I am going to buy it. Actually I might buy two right now anyways because I cant afford another $650 for two more VESC’s that I am going to need. I went out with friends this weekend esk8’ing all had Evolve or Boosted or uni-wheel or something along those lines… they were talking about “ECO” mode on their Evolve remote as we went bar hopping along the beltline. When I tried to explain them VESC and my custom build and how my volt meter says 37V left on my 12S battery they lost interest… a glazed look passed over their eyes. All said one day they will do a custom build. Some may… but if there are a million esk8 boards in the world… if even 10,000 of them are DIY I would be very surprised. And no vendor selling to the general public will advertise the VESC trademark. It doesn’t mean anything to consumers… just to us. It’s very niche and to try to create a trademark in something very very niche is never going to lead to Bond-villain style world domination. It’s just sad. We will call it VESC here or something else… 99.9999% of the rest of the world that esk8’s doesn’t even care. They want to plug it in and it work.

Lol… used by e-cars and e-bikes… that is hilarious commentary. Like some Chinese factory is going to print VESC on the side of product like consumers actually care. Nobody cares. Not Elon Musk either.

It was a really really poor move to alienate a small group of people. That’s my $0.02

7 Likes

I feel the same way with the guys we ride with. Only one will talk DIY at all. All the other guys talk marketing jargon. Maybe it’s an Atlanta thing?

2 Likes

Hi, are you still finds ESC6?

@Barbara

Focus on the product, the customers will come!

2 Likes

This is really true things.

How is the case coming along , is there an approximate final price?

To me the solution is simple. I did buy a VESC6 and it’s a really nice box, but the price is too steep for me to get any more of them.

UNLESS :slight_smile: for “a few dollars more” I could get a Dual Vesc6. I’m building my first dual motor board and I’ll be using twin 4.12’s but if I could get a VESC6 Dual for under $400 I’d do it.

The PCB layout time is pretty minimal, just reproducing what you’ve already done, and the component cost is nominal. Maybe the biggest cost will be in the firmware update to get dual to run on a single processor, but for a whipsmart code monkey even that shouldn’t be more than 2 weeks of work. Then there’s the VESC tool updates.

It isn’t easy, but I think that might be where the sweet spot in the market is for these boxes. I could be wrong.

I agree, but the braking power of a dual-drive is unsurpassed. I like dual just because of braking.

2 Likes

I still want me my quad vesc 6/focbox lol… The dual focbox looks really good, can’t wait to test those soon!

2 Likes

there ecs’s tho from what I read.

1 Like

Well, If you want to brake harder, you also need a bigger battery to swallow those AMPs pushed towards the cells. The energy needs to go somewhere, and in our case somewhere is the battery. The Battery is usually the weakest link in the chain. So a second motor has a big impact on the total weight and price of your board. Sometimes its good to have a light, cheaper and more portable board. Two ESCs, two motors, double the P-count, bigger switches or two switches… It gets expensive and more complicated…

1 Like

It’s more the traction on the street and not torquesteering you when you smash the brakes. I like it more for mechanical reasons than electrical ones.

2 Likes

Sure, I also like the twins! But I also like my singles. Horses four courses… Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

2 Likes

If it’s a single, it better be under 32" and have a nice huge tail and a handle on the nose :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Lol I’m running a single in my 48" and God it tugs so hard when I brake and when I initially take off haha… I’m about to buy a bkb motor and mount and run dual motors

1 Like

I ran a 60" on single and it turns sideways when you hit the brakes. I think the longer the deck, the more torquesteer it has for some reason. You’d think it would be the opposite.

@trampa i have to buy in couple days VESC6 but i noticed that you have to version on website

http://www.trampaboards.com/vesc-6-complete--vedder-electronic-speed-controller-trampa-exclusive-p-24166.html

and this one

https://www.trampaboards.com/vesc-6-using-trampa-silicon-cables-xt90-connector--15cm-motor-cables-with-35mm-gold-plated-bullet-connectors-vesc-6-15cm-motor-cable-p-24839.html?remove_key=84083&qty=2&offer=0&attrib_477=2967&attrib_485=2993&attrib_643=4044

When i read the specs, it difficult to me to understand the differences.

my prject is to assemble a board like Kaly-Nyc.

Thank you in advance

That is the actual link:

https://www.trampaboards.com/vesc-6-complete--vedder-electronic-speed-controller-trampa-exclusive-p-24166.html

We do not stock different types.

Frank