VESC6 Cost and Who is It made for?

Lol its so great…and yet even with current sensing on all three phases it still can’t muster 100% duty cycle like the DRV supports…

Lol “insane esc”… I see no benefits other then bragging rights that you spent the money on overpriced nonsense. Sure there’s some changes, such as external circuits for the charge pumps and shunts to offload them from the DRV… But what was the point if you still can’t run 100% duty…what did you gain?

I’ll wait for your answer of “gains” while listening to the crickets in “Eternal Caravan of Reincarnation”.

1 Like

I’m glad somebody said it

2 Likes

i’m running focboxes at 13S in one of our boards. I figured right here right now was a good time to say that.

9 Likes

And I’ve got two that are about to be put on 13s in an Icarus…so your not alone with that…

1 Like

the difference over 12 isn’t negligible… and i may be hallucinating but i feel like the boxes are cooler and the motors are only slightly warmer… this is with conservative 12S type settings.

1 Like

They should be cooler…more volts less current. Every series addition ive seen(8-12s) the higher series runs an average of 3-5f cooler per cell when riding hard. 13s Would put my focboxes running at 90-93F on 70-80F days(I’m a feather weight), which is extremely cool, 10s runs about 100-104F for me, and 12s 95-101F.

2 Likes

Are you saying the esc will run cooler by just adding more voltage or are you also changing the drive ratio.

16/40t on all. The VESC should run cooler, as to do the same work requires less amps with higher voltage.

Same thing happens on my quads, on 4s the ESC get warm and motors are cool, on 6s the motors get warm and the ESC are cool.

2 Likes

ratio didn’t change, just voltage.

2 Likes

I blindly jumped into @stewii design, but I have a good faith on it. I’ll post my review as soon as I get them, it should be 3 weeks before I test them

2 Likes

I’m crossing my fingers they turn out to be great!

May have to increase my voltage then as single focbox gets to hot even at cruising speed where the same setup my (8s) hobbywing max 6 handled like a boss.

@Deckoz even my dual 12s gets hot though. Do you have your focbox exposed to the air? May need to add extra heatsinks and add some openings in my enclosure

$340 shipped to US… get outta here Frank

5 Likes

Trampa makes great products but the VESC6 price is steep – I bought a few… no problems.

But I also decided to hedge my bets, in case they don’t release the original reference hardware design like for a year or two. Or their units have issue and run into some situation where they aren’t warrantied.

@stewii is selling VESC6 clones based on the VESC6 schematics released by Benjamin Vedder. I jumped in and ordered a couple. They are about 50% of the price. He says the PCB and components cost about $70 total (converted from pounds). Of course he has to make a profit and also the hard work is putting in to solder on the components. He is also selling just the PCB’s alone as well.

A caveat about the pricing so this is sort of fair and balanced. These units you will have to solder on the motor leads (super easy imo) and the +/- terminals for the power source (also easy). These are marked on the board. Also right now that price includes the vesc and the cover but not the CNC aluminum housing. @Kug3lis is offering a CNC housing for 25 euros. Also, Trampa itself sells (2) VESC6’s for 187 pounds (last I checked) if you buy a complete electric board from them. So all these factors should be considered.

Here is link to his thread:

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/hw6-4-based-esc/37579

1 Like

If you buy them with a board, 187 GBP is the price. US customers usually pay 240 GBP for a single unit. I hope @stewii has priced some $$ in for Benjamin. 95% of the hardware vendors forget to do so. Cheap Cheap Cheap and let’s forget about software development… Without the software those units would not spin a motor a quarter turn.

Frank

3 Likes

competition will hopefully give us some lower prices on vesc 6

5 Likes

Any safeguards to prevent overcurrent while braking? I figure that’s the only real issue. Or maybe they can handle 13S all day #whoknows

Does BV get anything out of enertion FOCBOX sales?

2 Likes

you’ll have to ask @onloop about that. I’m sure he’s throwing something back at ben now and then.

well after doing some research, I am pretty sure he doesn’t!!! Which is crazy, considering his entire company is based on a slight variation of Benjamin’s product by now… Focbox is definitely one of - if not the - best selling Vesc and his Raptors also don’t run without the R&D that Ben did. I really don’t think Jason is getting insanely rich but things are running well and it wouldnt kill any Vesc vendor to include 5-10$ Ben Fee in the price.

2 Likes