VESC tool on FOCBOX

At the moment i run my focboxes with the new VESC-tool/firmware. I cant get FOC mode to work , so im running in BLDC mode. Even though i`m looking forward to be able to run FOC, i think they run grate on BLDC as well.

Im running FOC with the VESC Tool, 12S and FOC with Torqueboard 130KV hubs. No issues

1 Like

THe extended BLDC tool doesn’t come with all the nice information about all values, doesn’t come with setup wizard. However I think going with the extended version later on when I have everything up and running is on my list. I want to start off east on the setting and mods on my first 2 FOCBOXES.

The extended BLDC tool does come with a load of explanation when you pass your mouse over… It’s more complete than the actual BLDC tool.

Oh really? Didn’t know that! I will head over to the post and start reading again.

Not everything is detail, but enough to help…

1 Like

Don’t know how complete the vesc tool is when it comes to explaining the settings, but extended has info for most settings I believe.

Does have a guide/setup wiz for setting up FOC mode as well. I used this to setup my FOCBOX (single drive) and it runs smooth with no issues.

I’m out of the loop a bit with this. I’d like to upgrade the FW on my FOCBOXes but don’t know if the new VESC tool is working with FOC yet.

I read through this thread but it looks like it still hasn’t been solved? Is that case?

Get the new Ackmaniac-ESC-Tool! FOC on Focboxes has been solved

1 Like

Yeah, I’m aware of that. But with the VESC-tool it hasn’t? Is that what you’re saying?

The reason I ask is because I wanna use this iOS app and it’s not compatible with Ackmaniac’s tool.

The new Ackmaniac-ESC-Tool tool is based on the vesc tool and not bldc tool anymore. The app should be updated in a couple days I guess (if it is not already compatible)

I was already aware of everything you’ve typed in both your responses. But my question remains unanswered.

Has the FOC bug with FOCBOXes been fixed in Vedder’s VESC-tool?

We had no issues passing a FOC-Box that was reported not to work. We tried several motors and PPM input devices. All combinations worked so far. Simply give it a try. Use lower voltage when doing the detection avoid any issues (e.g. 3S battery). Should work just fine. If not: come back here or better: use the vesc-project forum and post your comment there.

Frank

He shared what he found was the problem

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll give it a go. If it doesn’t work then I’ll install Nico’s firmware. Hopefully Vedder will fix the problem too. It would be nice if he pulled Nico’s code.

If you are aware of everything: did you actually check if the app works with the new Ackmaniac-ESC-Tool versions? I guess it will work as is - would be counterintuitive if he changed the protocol and commands

I checked and it doesn’t:

1 Like

Seems like your problem will be solved soon http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/new-version-2-0-ios-eskate-vesc-app-for-standard-and-ackmaniac-fw/32340/62?u=maxid

Thanks for the heads up.

Guys, I just flashed my brand new FOCBOX’s with the firmware included in the Ackmaniac-ESC-Tool. All was going well and I was going through the standard motor setup wizard and was running through the resistance parameter test when on the first test both FOCBOXs stopped working and are no longer powering on. Please help, I freaking out about them being fried. I just bought these things for $280. How can I get them back on?