VESC Nunchuk RF

For a full unit it would be closer to $40, most of which goes for a new/gently used Nunchuck.

To plug into the VESC? I used one of these, however you can you a smaller one (without an antenna and amplifier).

When (if) you decide to do a run please let me know. I already have everything else I need to complete the controller and to connect it on the VESC side, just missing the PCB.

Got my 3 copies of everything, assembled one last night, lost a mosfet. Everything seems good but I can’t get it to recognize the uart chip :confused: Reflowed it a few times at 250c, even tried one of the other chips. Verified all the resistors etc are not shorted / ok too.

Hey that’s awesome! What light pipe did you use?

Been using this for some time now. Can’t see why anybody would use another remote (minus maybe a screen). You don’t need to turn it on, with the stick from an legit nunchuck it’s so smooth, no dropouts, plus you can connect the nunchuck to bldc tool and view info from your VESCs.

Highly recommend people to make these.

2 Likes

I asked him the same thing :slight_smile:

@boards Can you elaborate on this? I wasn’t aware the BLDC Tool could connect directly to the nunchuck.

Plug it in via the usb, go to bldc tool and connect to the new serial interface. The terminal and data views work, but configuration does not.

When I connect it says “Connected” in the corner for a second, but then it just says, “No Firmware Read Response” and disconnects again. What am I missing?

Make sure the VESCS are on and that the remote can connect normally.

Some one selling these?

Oh got it. I misunderstood what you meant by connecting the nunchuck to bldc tool.

Maybe later, I’ve bought enough parts to make 3 but I’m probably only going to keep one. But first I’ve got to build them and do some testing with different transceivers so this is maybe a few weeks or months away.

I can put one together for you. I posted a few posts up about it.

Are you testing a new nunchuck or the original one that vedder made (which started this thread)?

Nice, pm me pls i’ll take one!

No it’s Vedder’s. The one mentioned in this thread with different transceiver modules (at both ends) and one with the nRF24L01 directly on the PCB is also in the works.

The goal is to find completely reliable setups as some people have been having problems with drop-outs. How has yours worked in this regard?

Until lately I’ve had very good luck with the mini module on the PCB in the nunchuck and the long range module (with the external antenna) on the vesc side. 2 weeks ago I think my receiver module got fried. It cut out and I haven’t been able to get it to connect again (2 weeks later…so not just an intermittent signal drop).

I’ve found the non antenna module sensitive to placement. Right above the vescs results in very poor range but if you move it even a few inches away from the motor wires and vescs it’s great.

I’m about to build a couple of these but I’m unsure about how to upload the firmware. Can anyone with experience chime in and write up a basic how-to?

I have done quite a few now. In my experience, Ubuntu is the only real option. I know the program he (vedder) uses to flash the firmware (it’s called stm32flash) works on Windows, but there’s a bunch of other dependencies that I only really know how to do on ubuntu. I basically just follow the instructions outlined by vedder for his speed controller (http://vedder.se/2015/01/vesc-open-source-esc/ starting at “Software Installation and Configuration Tutorial”) combined with some posts on his forum (http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44&sid=a0a9ad1a784307f48f455fd389b84a2c).

After getting all of those dependencies in place, the basics of it is you download the firmware (https://github.com/vedderb/nunchuk_mod) and stm32flash (https://sourceforge.net/projects/stm32flash/), unpack stm32flash, then unpack the firmware package into a folder in the stm32flash folder. Then you open terminal, cd to that nunchuck directory, and run “make upload”

It’s tough to remember exactly what all I did, so I’ll have to go through with a fresh copy of ubuntu and make a video. Probably won’t have time this weekend, but I probably can next week sometime.

3 Likes

A video would be fantastic if you have the time. I know I would really appreciate the effort and I’m sure others would as well. I was away from home for a few weeks… I’ll be starting the assembly of my NRF Nunchuck today.