VESC Not Powering Motors After Heavy Riding

are you able to see any error codes display in the realtime data tab?

See above, in the lower left there is a “Fault Code” DRV8302 error.

Also - In the realtime graph area i was seeing a DRV error, then in the terminal tab i typed in “fault” and it would return a fault code. I needed it to have failed/errored recently to see it return a code in the terminal, but that’s how i confirmed the DRV chip was dead.

1 Like

Shoot I just packed up for the day. I will try and check tomorrow. Thanks for the tips!

I also have the same issue with my vesc. No faults listed in bldc for mine. I have replaced all wiring twice and still no luck. Luckily I have another vesc coming in the mail and I will be sending my current vesc back for further diagnosing

I finally got it to show a fault codes using sl33py’s method after a few seconds of throttle.

Here is the first VESC:

Here is the second (formerly slave) VESC:

Looks like they are both dead :frowning:

1 Like

Hi guys, I have tried mine, both realtime data and the terminal doesn’t show any error. Does this mean that my motor dead? but why when I push the throttle, the esc green light doesn’t blink, it just stay. What to do next guys?

1 Like

After several test, yup, it shows fault code DRV8302. Therefore, I ordered DRV8302 from Texas Instrument and will try to change the IC based on Benjamin Vedder tutorial video.

1 Like

Is it suppose to be shorted together?

That’s normal, but could it be that your VESC is one out of the first batch (May/June) which had some problems?

Yes, those are fine. Is this a photo of your VESC?

I got the picture from one of the thread regarding vesc. Still, mine is the same as the picture. pin 54 & 53 and 51& 50 should be shorted together.

@elkick chances are the problem comes from my careless arse which forgot to heat shrink the motor lead connection.

@chaka so if I change the pic drv8302, I need to short both pin like in the picture?

The pads under those pins are already connected so it isn’t a big deal either way.

1 Like

ah thats clear things up. Cheers

Looks like those cables are low strand count wire similar to what you would get at an automotive supply. You definitely want to switch those out for some high strand silicone wire. It is common for the insulation to melt on the low strand count wire due to a much larger amount of resistance too.

Anyone installing one of these units would serve themselves well by replacing all cables.

1 Like

Agreed, I am waiting for a response from Enertion to see if the VESCs are covered under any sort of warranty. It is a hard pill to swallow when you spent $240 on speed controllers that lasted you two weeks…

If I could do it over again I would use high strand silicone coated wire, heat sinks, and lower the temperature cutoff range so I could be confident that the VESCs will run nicely for a very long time.

1 Like

The VESC default temp settings are fine. I have been trying to burn one up with heavy use and have not had any success. I have even gone as far as intentionally overheating it repeatedly and haven’t been able to produce a hardware failure.

2 Likes

Good to know…I have no clue why they failed then

1 Like

Just removed the DRV8302. Good surgery. Currently waiting for new PIC from TI. I will upload more infos and pics.

3 Likes

@nik please stop hijacking this thread if you have a problem create your own unique thread.

@longhairedboy @cmatson @psychotiller @torqueboards If you guys see this stuff happening please move the comments to a unique thread for each person.

Jumbling all this into one thread creates a mess.

1 Like

ouh sorry guys. cheers