VESC Monitor Android App

To be sure I flashed the 2.54 firmware into the VESC again. But problem still exists. Is there a chance to get the log of the communication between the app and the VESC to find out which error code was given back?

Could be that your smartphones bluetooth doesn’t work properly. Maybe you can try with a friends phone if the connection works. Problem is that i need to split the message in multiple packs. And i think your smartphone has a problem with that.

Yes, that was also my next idea. The Doogee Phone is a cheap china Android phone. So may be the BT implementation is not properly done. Which is a pity behause I only baught the phone for the VESC monitor app. :frowning: So I’ll check with a different Android phone.

Just released a new version 1_36 which hopefully fixes a bigger communication issue which caused a crash of the app in some situations. The new version should now also support to read the realtime values of the VESC 6. It isn’t possible to change the mode for VESC 6 yet. Sadly i don’t have one myself so it would be great if somebody is brave and gives it a try. (don’t forget to update the app first) I also changed the look and feel a bit and hopefully the red and green bars are shown now correct for power, motor, battery and duty.

5 Likes

Just released new Version 1_38 which hopefully makes the communication a bit more robust. Especially the switch from the normal app to the video capturing should be more stable.

2 Likes

How does the app knows it’s connected either to a VESC 4 or a VESC 6 ? By choosing it in configuration panel ? As I told you by PM, old commands bricks the new bootloader (e.g VESC 6) so no place to mistake ! :neutral_face:

BTW, glad to help you making your app compatible with VESC 6 ! :wink:

I identify it by the firmware version. If the VESC 6 firmware is identified it uses the COMM_PACKET of the VESC 6. But not sure if it works without issues.

In theory, that should work. Maybe using VESC6 commands with VESC4 is less “dangerous” than the opposite. TBC. Thus, the default COMM_PACKET to use should be the new one. Do you agree with it ?

i am not sending any commands. So it is not possible to change the settings. Guess when i ask for the actual motor and app configuration that it get’s translated in some bullshit. But it might work. Also the realtime data might be wrong. Sadly i can’t test it myself so if somebody want’s to give it a try feel free.

How do you send the configuration of a custom mode from the app to the VESC ? Don’t you use COMM_SET_MCCONF ?

No, i added a special command. Which of course doesn’t exist in the VESC 6 code.

thanks @Ackmaniac I appreciate your dedication and hard work to make this possible

Thanks for the video. Sadly i saw in the video that there is a little bug. Because every time you give some throttle the green power bar is always fully drawn. But it should show how much of the maximum power is drawn.

Just released a new version which should fix that glitch.

I checked with a friends phone and it worked. So I flashed a new ROM into my phone and now I works. Thanks for your help.

Very nice app @Ackmaniac do you know if anyone has tried your app with a VESC 6? I am currently finishing my build using a VESC 6, and I would love to use your app. However I would hate to brick my VESC 6 at the moment :sweat_smile:

1 Like

A video from a week ago using the app. Wisconsin has miles of sweet bike trails that follow Lake Michigan. This is in Milwaukee at South Shore Park

2 Likes

@Ackmaniac, I tested your app with the VESC 6 : it doesn’t work. As I’m working on an Arduino project for communicating with the VESC, I could catch a bunch of data and figured out that the serialization has changed…

But good news ! After few hours of reverse-engineering, I got the new one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just released a new version which should be able to show the realtime data for VESC 6.

4 Likes

Great. I’ll test it asap. Are the non-compatible features disabled in this version ? I mean, if VESC6 firmware is detected, only the COMM_GET_VALUES command is sent, right ?