VESC Monitor Android App

Just leave it as it is. That’s a good starting point. It measures the actual battery % only when you don’t draw any power from the Batterys. So if the battery is at 3.46V in idle then it is at 0%. Sadly every battery differs. So it is a starting point and you can adjust it by your experience or personal preference.

Just released a new version of the app which changes the parameter names in the Trip Screen to hopefully more intuitive and understandable names for the values. And in Devices Screen the already known Bluetooth modules will be shown first. This way it should be easy to find the Boards Module in a bluetooth crowded environment.

2 Likes

The above graph is from your sample in the first post. Currently, it’s with 2 percentage point of my LCD Volt display that Bara included with his battery. I’ll monitor how close they are as drain the battery to 0%.

I did have a few issues connecting this afternoon…my phone screen turned black a few times. Not sure if it’s a phone issue or an app issue, but I thought I’d mention it. I just updated the app, so I’ll check that later. Thanks again!

Just released a new Version of the app. Notifications are now added when a module is currently connected. You will see a icon in the statusbar that reminds you that the the board is still switched on and records data. When you pull down the status bar the actual Battery %, Volt and Range of the Board will be shown as quick info. And when you click on the notification the app will with all the data will be opened again. This way the app can run in the background while you do other things with the Smartphone and you can always have a quick look about the status of your battery.

BTW: “Titanium” is my boards name.

10 Likes

Amazing App! I just tried it. I was able to connect to my VESC und the default values, which I set with the BLCD Tool are shown in the App + the real time data. The only thing which is not working is switching between different drive modes. Every time I select a mode, I end up with the default mode. What could be wrong here?

@Ackmaniac, since the 1.34 update, I experience crashes when after doing other stuff with other apps (e.g. sending a text or web browsing), I come back to your app. Then, I get the “The application doesn’t respond” error pop-up. It doesn’t happen each time, but mostly if I do lot’s of stuff, lock, unlock screen and so on.

I reported it. Hope it can help. Running Android 6.0.1 on Nexus 5X.

To change the mode you need my modded firmware.

I’m using your firmeware 2.54. see attached picture. I tried with 2 different boards. Both VESC have HW Version 4.1.

Which modules are you using?

Noticed a thing with the new version, was just out running my board and decided to record. Unfortunently my fat finger came across the lock phone button. Now with it still monitor while phone is asleep/locked when app is running is doing the same with recording video. it will record the lock screen. Not really a problem but worth knowing :slight_smile:

I’m using: HM-10 BLE Bluetooth 4,0 CC2540 CC2541 from Alibaba. I think that are the ones you recomend.

That’s very strange. Maybe try to restart your phone and if that doesn’t work then reinstall the app. Which kind of phone are you using and is it a modded OS?

Using the “Send” feature, I was trying to send a video to youtube and google drive, but to no avail. Does the Send feature work, or am I doing something wrong?

@Ken Does not work for me either, and on plugin I just see empty folders. I can send Video to my photo section of my drive. But nothing else.

The updates are awesome thanks ackmaniac

if i’m running dual by splitting the remote servo wire, instead of master+slave via CAN, would i need two bluetooth modules to connect to both VESCs, or just one and set setting to 2 VESC in software?

i’m thinking the latter, just want to make sure.

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure but I think you can connect the CAN for communications for the module, but not for PPM control. I’m guessing you’d still have to select “send status via CAN” from the slave VESC, but not use “multiple ESCs over can” on the master.

@Jinra is pretty much correct. With CAN Bus you will only need 1 Bluetooth module, with a split servo you would need 2 bluetooth modules. CAN bus does support PPM to both modules, in a weird way, not sure I really understand it but it works.

I’m using a Doogee Y300 with Android 6.0. I deinstalled the App and reinstalled, but same behavior.

Actually i never did that but sounds like it should work with a splitter cable.