VESC Monitor Android App

I recieved a MLT-BT05 branded chip - they are discussed in the article I linked above. I then used this method: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=393655.0 to flash the official HM-10 Firmware onto the chip. I have a different phone which I can use to test and will do that now.

1 Like

So you have a clone and flashed it with the original firmware. Hard to tell what could be the issue then.

1 Like

So the problem seems to be the phone. My huawei mate 9 doesn’t seem to like connecting to the module. My old samsung galaxy s4 does it without a problem.

Also, sorry if my last comments came across a bit dickish, that wasn’t my intention.

I published a new version 1.25 which should be a bit more stable when it switches from the normal to the video view.

Edit: Changed the layout of the app a little bit so that it should be easier for the eye to concentrate on the important data. Also added a auto focus for the camera and and automatic stabilization of the video if the smartphone supports this feature. Also changed the handling of the different modes which let’s you change the their order. And you can now copy already existing modes which should make it easier to create a new one.

3 Likes

Here is a little Video which is made with the new layout.

2 Likes

unfortunately my App crashes constantly when switching to the Video Capture page

I provided a new version which hopefully foxes a couple of crashes on some devices. If the app crashes then please send the bug report. @Marty would be great if you can also give it a try.

1 Like

hi - yeah I sent a bug report feedback

Please update the app to the newest Version 1.26 and try it again. I think this error is fixed in the new one. You definitely used the old version. If the problem still exists then please report the issue again.

updated to 1.26 - same UI crash when selcting video capture

Finally got around to setting this up. The app is so cool!

On the other hand, my board keeps disconnecting from my phone while riding. Got any suggestions for BT module placement? My deck is wood and fiberglass and my enclosure is plastic.

Best is to keep the module away from the battery and phase wire cables. With my board i still have a good connection when i am 10 meters away.

Good to know. I’ll try that. Thanks!

@Ackmaniac Hello :slight_smile: In your extended firmware bdlc tools thread, i have ask you a question about the sharing of your android app source code. I think it can be very usefull for me to see how (with android) you communicate with the vesc by bluetooth.

I plan to create an application for raspberry connected to a gsm module. I fact i wan’t to relay vesc information over internet.
With that i wan’t to trace my e-mtb in an google map style application.

So if you can share,(i don’t need your full code, or if you wan’t the source of your first version) just said me :slight_smile:

thanks you

oxi

This is amazing work ! Thank you :slight_smile:

Hey @Ackmaniac. Got your firmware along with the application. Its awesome and was very smooth to setup. The only issue I have as mentioned before in this thread was crashes while swapping either into (clicking camera icon) and out of it. It crashed quite some times while doing that. Also had some troubles sending / transfering files from phone to computer or phone to my google drive / youtube etc.

Im on a LG G5 with Nougat 7.0!

Great job, the bldc version and app is awesome!

Just released a new Version of the app which fixes a little bug in the realtime data when you only brake. @Guacamoleface seems that Nougat 7.0 is causing issues. Need to buy a new smartphone soon to test that. But in the meanwhile please always send the error report when the app crashes. That really helps me to improve the app. And if you like the app donations are also very welcome and keep up the motivation :joy:

3 Likes

@Ackmaniac and everyone else in this thread - what is the best quality settings for video for you guys? I tried 1080p at 2k bitrate and it was pretty choppy for me. I changed it to maxed out, Phone resolution + highest bitrate but not yet tried it out except for indoors.

Just the highest settings and the quality should be fine. But even HD with the highest Bitrate works fine.

Hi @Ackmaniac, great work you did with the app! Read your explanation a few weeks ago and immediately ordered the Bluetooth module you advised to give it a try. I set it all up yesterday and can successfully connect with the module within the app. The problem, however, is that once it is connected it doesn’t show the data coming from the VESC. Everything (speed, power, battery, temperature etc.) keeps standing at 0. Do you have any idea how I can fix this? The baud rate is set to 9600 and it is on PPM + UART mode, but I don’t use your special firmware since you said it doesn’t work on Windows and I’m afraid to do something wrong in setting it up. Could that be the issue? I have the exact same problem with the VESC_CONNECT_PRO app.