VESC Monitor Android App

Does the app detect the Bluetooth module or do you see no device?

So now where Iā€™m at is the R2 works now (on Oreo) just fine. But I still canā€™t get my original module Iā€™ve been using to connect unless on Nougat. Thinking I may just need to get a different module. Going to get the same one thatā€™s in my R2.

The app sees the module, but its greyed out and not able to connect if I remember right. I can do some debugging tonight or tomorrow when I get home.

@Ackmaniac. It looks like the ā€œold versionā€ HM-10 modules could need a firmware update to comply with the new bluetooth standards of Android 8. Or as Iā€™ve read, a different Bluetooth API needs to be used to comply (Oreo filters these packages from the beacon) with the old standards.

For the last few days Iā€™m not able to connect to my FOCBOX anymore through the Arckmaniac app (Android 7.0). The app actually sees the HM10 module but the numbers remain at zero when I try to connect. If I disconnect and try to connect again, the app freezes and I have to kill it. Everything was working flawlessly before. Maybe this is related with otherā€™s problemsā€¦

1 Like

Doublecheck the Baudrate on the UART tab of that focbox. Standard should be 115200

EDIT: Standard for Enertion HMsoft BLE 4.0 module is baudrate 9600

@Ackmaniac I finally tested the app. I can connect and get the telemetry, although I then found the single ride split it in different files and if I make the video you can see that most of the time the app stops showing the data and the only thing still alive is the video and the GPS speed. Talking about the speed I get 4kmh different between the speed tracked by the app and the one from the GPS (in the app). Another thing I set my max watt to 925 but then I see that the board draws more.

I then tried to lower the watt and see if I can get the board really slow. I set it to 10watt and it was slower but still drew more. Do you know why?

Edit: @Ackmaniac I read again your first post and my bad. I see that the value got multiple by 2 in case of dual set up. It makes sense, sorry. So the only thing that doesnā€™t work properly with me is the module getting disconnected during the rides multiple times and the difference between the GPS speed and the ERPM one. Thx for your work

Really? Everything was working juste fine before. I donā€™t see why the baudrate would have changedā€¦

Ok So I made some progress. I got the luxury of having 3 BLE modules for testing.

1. Chinese clone HM-10/BL-05
  2. Metr HM-10 (Probably chinese, no offence intended it looks identical to nr1)
  3. HMsoft BLE4.0 HM-10

Number 1 and 2 stopped working since android 8. I just got number 3 working on my S8+. So only the HMSoft firmware is complying Android 8 bluetooth low energy standard.

I got these modules, if there are any tests I can help you with. I gladly do the testing. Iā€™m sure this is affecting lots of your users who upgraded to android 8 and are using cheap modules.

This is why there is no issue with our out of box example and why I suggested you try this project. It appears your module vendor (or someone else) modified the firmware but didnā€™t comply to the formatting described in BT4.x, Vol 3, Part C, Sec 11 which Android8 now adheres to. The BLE Stack will not enforce this as itā€™s up to the application to comply with the layout. There are some custom applications that donā€™t use this format, thatā€™s why we donā€™t enforce it.

Source: https://e2e.ti.com/support/wireless_connectivity/bluetooth_low_energy/f/538/p/670467/2472298

Maybe you can try to upgrade the firmware on the module. Fully occupied with my daytime job and use all my rare freetime for a new Ackmaniac-Esc firmware update at the moment.

1 Like

yesterday i started the tests with a HM10 module that i bought. after connecting the module to my vesc in my first test ride i had a problem that iĀ“ve never had before. once in a while my control shutdown for 1,5 second and i get the following error on the APP:

ERROR: FAULT_CODE_ABS_OVER_CURRENT

i am using the turnigy vesc 4.10 with firmware 2.18. could be something with the module? i Ā“ve never had this problem with my control.

ps: the app is killer

Totally understandable. Just ordered a programmer. Iā€™ll see what happens when updating the firmware for it.

1 Like

I have already posted about it but I didnā€™t get an answer yet. So sorry for me asking twice. Basically my initial problems was the speed not been the same as GPS measured and I understood that the problem is the gear setting. I am using hub motor (Meepo style) and the problem is that I do not know how many motor magnets to go with. I know my set up can go to 39kmh top speed so I will try to adjust to match it. If someone has same setup please share it is setting. Second and main problem is that my bluethooth module keeps disconnectong as long I start to ride the board. I have notice that it keeps collecting the data although the app doesnā€™t show any live streaming telemetry. I am using the AT-09 module which is basically the same as Hm-10. I realized too late (AT-09 !!!Android IOS HM-10 BLE Bluetooth 4.0 CC2540 CC2541 Serial Wireless Module http://s.aliexpress.com/Ariqm2MJ?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard) but it does connect, change VESCs setting eccā€¦ But it disconnects frequently during the ride. Next to this problem I also donā€™t have any GPS data in the library. I donā€™t know if we hold get also a map out of it since in the app you can enable ā€œsave GPS positionā€ but I donā€™t get any GPS speed too. Here the last ride from this morning (speed completely wrong :persevere: )

Is it possible to post the whole session, as in metr app? Anyhow I donā€™t see any GPS trace. Thx for the help.

Iā€™m just going to go ahead and toss it out there since hes abit silent on here. BV is almost finnished with his app for the vesc6, going to be avaible through the playstore. With on the fly motor detection etc. Not sure on the ETA, but Iā€™ve tried it myself and seems pretty flawless.

You can use the VDLA app

1 Like

I didnā€™t know about. Thx! I should be put it in the first post. Anyhow I didnā€™t see how to share the entire session since you can only download a picture and not a playable file. Anyhow I can see that the GPS location was recorded but the GPS speed as aspect ed is not showed

Someone knows why?

Because the line is hidden by Default. To make it visible just click on the greyed Label ā€œGPSSpeedā€ and it will appear. Everything is documented in its own thread:

2 Likes

Try to place the BLE Module as far away from the battery or phase wires as possible. Especially when you draw current the signal can get disturbed. So try to place it away from the other components in your enclosure.

1 Like

Ah ok thx. The thing is it is place as far as possible from the battery but right above the phase wire. The role that I donā€™t have a space when it is far from both. That probably why it keeps disconnecting when I accellarate. Because the current in the phase wires increase. Although it records most the time the data in background. Wierd

When it continues to record in the background then it seems to be another issue which is maybe more related to your phoneā€™s android version. But first try to place it a bit better, maybe it helps.

1 Like

Ok thx. Another question if possible. I made different modes. Specifically one to letā€™s people try out the eskate. When I switch to the slow one I feel the board slower but it still goes way faster than the speed I set.

Do yuo know why?