VESC Monitor Android App

Could you make it possible to change voltage values with the app? It would practical, especially if you are “tuning” your board and have a lot of screws :slight_smile:

@Ackmaniac I’ve got your newest Version(1.70) of your VESC Monitor(Android) and found some wrong values, but otherwise i loove it! Nice work! :slight_smile:

• My “max km/h” was 217… I know i’m fast but… wrong gps-values maybe?
  • red: I think there should be “km” instead of “m”. As I changed it to miles, it was obviously. (“Distance” looks mess too, but i think not, because between the printscreens are 5 minutes of driving.)

What about a “used mAh” somewhere in a Panel? So everyone with a DIY board could guess how big the capacity of the battery pack still is at the end of the trip btw if the battery is empty. I know with the percentage its like a redundancy… but coulomb measurement is more reliable imho and its more or less easy to implement because you already have all values.

used mAh is already there image

i will have a look for the m km issue

Thx for reporting the UI bugs. I released a new version V1.71 which has now a dark theme in videos and fixed the range bug. Also the Battery % and the range will keep it’s values even if the board is switched off. This way it is possible to have a quick look how far you can still ride and at which state the battery is.

5 Likes

Finally got it working with a different hm10 adapter off Amazon. amazing!!

is there documentation on how this works with dual vesc6? I was hitting some high amps scaring myself to death with brutal acceleration, and there is still more punch left! hit 96A…

Thank you for your work on this app. it’s awesome! and thanks to Benjamin Vedder for being a complete badass.

Hi @Ackmaniac, First :big thank for you amazing app !! :wink:

since the update of my phone under Oreo (android 8.x) I have not reliable gps information in my logs when the screen of my phone is off (and the coordinates gps are ok if the screen is on)

I think it’s related to the management of background task under Oreo ( see here: https://developer.android.com/about/versions/oreo/background-location-limits.html )

can you confirm? an update of your app will solve this problem ?

thank for your help :grinning:

Do you need a phone that is connected to a data plan to use the map?

Thanks for the hint. I added some code which might fix the problem. Sadly i don’t have a Android Oreo phone. So please give the new version a try which should be available in a couple of hours.

1 Like

Thank :grin:I will test tomorrow and report

Big Thank. It s OK with the last version :+1:

So are you running this app on Oreo? I still have yet to get it working on Oreo. It might be because we run custom AOSP. Not really sure yet though.

Yes running on mate9 on stock oreo build without root. Maybe it’s your rom…? What your problem exactly?

With the latest update I can’t even connect with my spare phone running Nougat that I’ve used solely for this app. @Ackmaniac Anything changed in the latest update that would do this?

What was the problem before, because i have a HM10 module that used to work, but doesn’t anymore since i updated my phone to android 8?

mine didn’t work at all before upgrading to android 8… I ended up having to buy a different module off amazon, and it works fine for me using a verizon Samsung s8 plus, and the new module. maybe it’s a permissions issue for some people?

could you link the module that you used?

This is the one I ordered, and it worked just fine with ackmaniacs app, and ackmaniac firmware no modification required, and no voltage divider or anything, running on the vesc6 5v rail.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XH2CL43/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Did you restart your phone already. Sometimes it happens that BLE has issues which only can be fixed by a restart. Running Nougat on my phone without issues.

1 Like

Yep. I rebooted my phone. Cleared data for the app. Fixed permissions. Nothing. Which is weird because I can’t even connect to my R2 now either it seems. I’ve actually been running your app with no issues on Oreo with my R2. Do you have the previous version I could grab from you to test some things? I’ll run a logcat when I get home and hooked up to my phone tonight.

OK, I will start to look into the android 8.0 (and above BLE issues). Got an S8+ No connection possible Also bought a Metr module. No connection possible. Fired up my second phone A5 (2017) on android 7. Both modules work instantly.

EDIT: Already found an important note from android which the DEVs could look in to

Android 8 includes changes that bring both good and bad news. The bad news is that the existing workarounds will no longer work to let you detect beacons when you app is not in the foreground. The good news is that new APIs give you new ways of doing these same detections,

http://www.davidgyoungtech.com/2017/08/07/beacon-detection-with-android-8

1 Like