VESC fault looking for someone to repair

I tried reaching out to @chaka last week with no response.

@chaka won’t repair if this is not is VESC

Hey @Jorge351c sory for the lack of response, having a really busy few weeks. Johnny is right, we only service products we sell. Your best bet would be to find a repair technician to handle this for you.

I totally understand, at least i know where to go for when I decide to do dual setup

So is the motor and motor mount i bought from diyelectric crap too?!?

Seems to be a major issue. I constantly see drv chip failures. Im surprised I don’t see more escs made by esc manufacturers.

Motor mount is great actually. Make sure you put the heat shrink in to wedge in place.

I was wondering what that was for… why doesnt this stuff come with directions

My only complaint with (diyelectricskateboards.com) is his VESCs and policy on them. You’re really just throwing away $100 and possibly getting injured by putting it on your board.

Would love to give it a look and replace the DRV, and resolder the rest… but geographically it dosnt seem like a good idea

Dude - seriously it says right on his site that the $99 VESC is no-frills & no-warranty. I have 3 VESCs from him w/ no issue so far.

And his mounts and wheel gears are A W E S O M E. Between those (v3 and v4), and Enertion’s (simple and beautiful too) - i go with either depending on deck fitment (how much adjustment needed, and alum vs CF for heat transfer/heatsink). His wheel gears are the best IMO. Alum not plastic like new enertion, no cutting of trucks needed, and now has 36 and 40t options for those of us who like big ass wheels (90mm+).

@Carvin_Ginger - if you filed a claim for his VESC - when it’s clear it’s no warranty when buying - that’s some shady shit.

i agree with you @sl33py

there may be a problem with my set up, this is my first build… i have the following: 6374 230kv 3 5000mah 3s batteries in series anti spark on/off 13/36 gear ratio 83mm wheels wii nunchuck remote

watched all the videos and did alot of reading… I am almost certain the setting in the BLDC tool are correct

Hey Jorge! You are in Oceanside - a buddy of mine moved there just a few years ago! I sent him back with an eboard a few months ago (came up to Seattle via RV w/ family). You guys should meetup and ride when you get this sorted!

What’s your BLDC errors showing for the DRV chip?

@sl33py … sounds good, not sure how much your friend knows about building eboard but two minds are usually better than one.

the code is DRV8302

His VESCs, the latest batch, are garbage from what I can tell from my experience and recent posts. His attitude is that if the VESC doesn’t work, it’s user fault only. “No frills” does not mean non workin VESC. I filed a claim for a refund on a product that did not work properly.

@chaka is the way to go. Enertion is ~$160 with warranty, and you need the warranty.

Didn’t you say you sold it for parts and got Chaka’s VESC? You didn’t return it when you filed a claim? So he can’t repair/reuse and is going to lose all $ from this if your claim is successful? That’s rough on a small business. Correct me if i’m wrong?

1 Like

But you didn’t return it, sold it when broken, then are pursuing a refund from paypal which would mean you didn’t pay for it, and actually made $ for what you sold it for?

Hmm - that seems pretty F’ing shady to me. Hopefully @Torqueboards sees this and can provide to paypal - good luck with the refund!

I’m a huge fan of Chaka/Ollin board’s VESC’s! He makes a great VESC, but i have VESCs that were hand made by Ben and died… shit happens. MTBF will always bite you in the ass at some point, and i’ve killed a couple VESCs bench testing (don’t hammer hard accel/braking repeatedly on 12s). But i’m also learning how to replace the DRV chip with a hot air reflow setup. Not actually that hard.

If you are going to DIY w/ beta hardware you should own repairing it yourself, eating the $ for another, or buying a warranty. If you can’t replace a DRV chip and go for “No frills, affordable VESC with no warranty.” then you are accepting the risk.

My best advice for VESC longevity (until v6 maybe) is don’t go “bleeding edge” 12s, FOC, or close to the 60k ERPM limit if you can help avoid. I run most of mine on 8s, and no issues w/ around 1-1.5 years on the oldest (hw 4.7 1.13fw).

@Carvin_Ginger - I have nothing against you. But you honestly have all the time in the world to shame me for what’s practically your own fault. @sl33py - Yes, he sold it. Now wants a refund without returning the product. Go figure.

At least return the product. For as many VESC as you “say this VESC” is garbage. I have hundreds out there that are working perfectly fine.

Your so called find… proves nothing BTW. It’s just not worth arguing with you about.

With that said… return the VESC and I’ll refund your money. I don’t have time to play footsies with you.

As I mention again… Each VESC has been tested multiple times before shipping it out to you. So if it randomly breaks after you take it out of the box and fidget with no Due Diligence that’s your mistake. If you DO NOT do your own due diligence to program and test your own VESC. That’s on you NOT me. Don’t come crying to me that you don’t know how to put your own underwear on. If you have adequate proof that the issue is on my end. I’ll be happy to replace it.

This is nothing new… You pay for warranty. It’s been done for well over 80+ years.

There are many videos out there and I’m available for help when I am free.

You want something that doesn’t break as easily. Don’t get a VESC and/or buy from Ollin for unlimited warranty.

Trust me… I’ve tried fixing my car and spent for a $250 car part… Broke it like an idiot I was (working in the dark with inadequate lighting). Yes, I ate that $250 f’up because I f’up. I didn’t go cry to the auto parts company that their product wasn’t an easy fit. It’s a DIY Auto Repair I accept the issues that come with it. I then purchased another part for $250 + Labor for $300 because I wasn’t going to do that again. You live and you learn. This wasn’t directed directly to you @Carvin_Ginger. I’m just venting which I shouldn’t be.

Return the VESC and you’ll get your refund.

2 Likes

@torqueboards thanks! I will be returning. I would check out the latest batch from your vendor though. There’s more than just me having VESC issues specifically from diyelectricskateboards.com.

You’re other products are great. I have still recommended your mounts, pulleys, belts and other items.

Video please?

I can’t speak about the quality of diy’s vescs, but they are not rocket science. I had 2 bad experiences with enertions vescs (I know, not yours), and I knew what I was doing. I did exactly the same process I do on all of my vescs from chaka, very carefully while I’m not high or drunk or sleepy. I am well aware of esd. I was careful to prevent that. I heat shrinked everything, and if something wasn’t perfect, I electrical taped it also. The reality is these things break, whether you install them correctly or not… I do all of my own car work (except putting new tires on my rims, cause I don’t have the $4000 machines that do that). I have never fucked up anything on my car, because I am careful. If I did the work correctly, and everything worked, and a week later, that part fails, you BET I will be complaining to the manufacturer.

My point is, there’s be lazy and reckless and destroying a vesc and there’s taking every precaution, yet the vesc blows up. I have a feeling quite a few fall into the first category, but many of us (including me) fall into the second category that did everything right, yet it still failed within the first 2 days. If that happens frequently (which is seems to do), it says something about the quality of your vescs.

The same with the power switch you sell. I have had 2 of them break on me. I though I must be crazy after I was more than super careful on the second one, and yet, not but 30 seconds after solder it up, it turns itself on forever. But then I found the thread were many other people had the same issue. In the end, it speaks for the quality of the switch. Having seen too many others have bad experiences with your vescs and my bad experience with your power switch, I don’t think I can trust the quality of your products. Sorry, but I know what I’m doing, And these parts should not break like this.