VESC FAQ | OSX MAC APPLE Version of BLDC tool

You are referring to the missing bootloader? If so, an STlinkV2 (8€ at eBay) will do the job, but you have to work with Ubuntu and follow the steps mentioned at vedder.se.

Are you sure it only works with Ubuntu? I can upload bldc-firmware with OS X and I kinda can upload the bootloader, but it hangs after verifying the checksum OK, is that normal?

bldc-bootloader/ $ make upload 
#qstlink2 --cli --erase --write build/BLDC_4_Bootloader.bin
openocd -f interface/stlink-v2.cfg -c "set WORKAREASIZE 0x2000" -f target/stm32f4x_stlink.cfg -c "program build    /BLDC_4_Bootloader.elf verify reset"
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0 (2015-11-15-05:34)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
	http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
0x2000
WARNING: target/stm32f4x_stlink.cfg is deprecated, please switch to target/stm32f4x.cfg
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "hla_swd". To override use 'transport select <    transport>'.
Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain     JTAG/SWD
adapter speed: 2000 kHz
adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
none separate
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
Info : clock speed 1800 kHz
Info : STLINK v2 JTAG v17 API v2 SWIM v4 VID 0x0483 PID 0x3748
Info : using stlink api v2
Info : Target voltage: 3.246592
Info : stm32f4x.cpu: hardware has 6 breakpoints, 4 watchpoints
target state: halted
target halted due to debug-request, current mode: Thread 
xPSR: 0x01000000 pc: 0x0800c000 msp: 0x20000400
** Programming Started **
auto erase enabled
Info : device id = 0x10076413
Info : flash size = 1024kbytes
target halted due to breakpoint, current mode: Thread 
xPSR: 0x61000000 pc: 0x20000042 msp: 0x20000400
wrote 131072 bytes from file build/BLDC_4_Bootloader.elf in 5.563057s (23.009 KiB/s)
** Programming Finished **
** Verify Started **
target halted due to breakpoint, current mode: Thread 
xPSR: 0x61000000 pc: 0x2000002e msp: 0x20000400
verified 4256 bytes in 0.076163s (54.570 KiB/s)
** Verified OK **
** Resetting Target **
^Cmake: *** [upload] Interrupt: 2 <-- Here it hangs and I interrupt it with Ctrl+C

That point with the hanging after reset the target is normal. I have the same behavior with my Mac (never tried Linux, just flashed with the Mac) and the firmware upload is completed. After that I can connect to the USB of the VESC normally.

Can someone tell me what these settings are for? And should they be left alone?

for testing the motor on the bench

For like motor detection?

more so to test the motor with various currents or speeds. You can see if your motor will spin up with lower currents or something.

I don’t get how you would use this panel. What button do you press to activate the motor with these settings?

If you want to spin it up with current, type the current you want and hit “current” (it’s a button)

Cool, Thanks for explaining it. My Vesc’s are working great and no problems at all so I’m being very careful and I’m not gonna touch any setting if I don’t know what it is.

Where could I find the driver to download for that chip on the VESC?

hey! looks like this link isn’t working anymore, and i can’t get the source to build for some reason :confused: would you be able to fix the link?

The links you have given lead to a ‘no DNS’ error!

I can’t find this BLDC software anywhere. Can somebody help me with a link? Thanks

Look on Enertion web site :wink:

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you :smiley:

vesc fw says 2.54 but bldc says 2.17 2.18… so limited connection been trying to get it up on mac for settings on the go… =) anybody know how fix?

2.54 Firmware is realted to @Ackmaniac Bldc tool.

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/extended-bldc-tool-with-watt-control-mode-ppm-cruise-control-individual-throttle-curve-and-android-app/12286?u=johnnymeduse

If you want to use the regular 2.18 BLDC tool you need to reflash the firmware

got it, i was just being stupid =)

1 Like

Just got the BLDC tool loaded on to my computer. Plugged in my VESC (Turnigy sk8 esc, hardware 4.12) and hit “connect”, and got this error message: “Serial Port Error: 2”. I’m running Mac High Sierra. Really confused here… what am I missing? Vesc is connected to power and my remote is on.