VESC FAQ | How Many Capacitors & What uF

Currently finishing up my EE degree and you’re pretty much correct. The capacitors are there to prevent voltage droop of the battery when the current being drawn from the battery spikes. Also @Aleendis what you are talking about is actually called impedence and it works pretty much in the same way as resistance, but in reference to energy storage devices and motors (capacitors, inductors, batteries, etc.)

1 Like

Reading is important… but real world testing is the ultimate…

So you say, you testet the 50V caps under very hard circumstances on a 12S setup? Cause i heard caps are very sensitive to overvoltage. Another thing i only read, I believe then. No need to blow up things just because i want to test it. Also i don’t have the money for that kind of fun. But keep going on if that is your way of making buisness :sleepy:

1 Like

No becasue I dont recommend 12S. 42v max for me.

@onloop Is my 50v cap a manufacturing mistake? Would it be possible to get 63v caps as recommended by vedder?

you keep going on confusing me

That’s copied from Vedder’s info, he didn’t write it.

But it’s from his page. And it’s written under his VESC description. …oh and there are also pictures from VESC’s with 3 caps…

No mistake, it is a decision made by the engineers at the factory making the VESC, we needed to secure stock quickly to ensure production delays didnt continue to interrupt the schedule. In the end we sourced enough qty using a combination of Single 50v 3300uf & Dual 63v 1000 uf.

What voltage battery will you be running?

We have also designed a new CAP PCB for VESC, this concept is to simplify the setup of dual vesc, it has 4 holes for output wires making it much easier to run twin vesc from single cap board.

This is for my friend’s 6s build so I think I’ll be okay. Just wondering if it was an error on the manufacturer’s end.

Thanks!

you have an eye for detail sir!

this is a snippet from my t&c’s http://www.enertionboards.com/pages/enertion-boards-terms-conditions.html

TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS

Although Enertion Boards strictly monitors the contents of its website, errors do occur. In the event that Enertion Boards has incorrectly displayed a product’s price, Enertion Boards reserves the right to cancel or refuse any orders placed on the product. Enertion Boards attempts to contact any customer where such an error has occurred. Enertion Boards reserves the right to offer solutions on a case by case basis. Enertion Boards does not guarantee the accuracy, correctness, or usefulness of information contained or associated with the site, such as, but not limited to, press releases, industry news, blog updates, or product descriptions and product photos. At the time of publishing such material, Enertion Boards attempts to make every effort to ensure that it is current and correct.

On that note you have your belts listed as “265T” which I’m sure you meant to say “265mm” :smiley:

And that point will Nordle keep away from Enertionboards in the future. It’s too easy to find a more reliable seller. My eye didn’t catch this. Thanks, but somehow pity.

1 Like

please link to that page so i can check it out, thanks

Here you go http://www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/pulleys-belts.html

Can you tell me the capacitance and farad from this belt? :joy: I’m joking…

ok, got it, yeah it should say 256-55t

Probably i could get a VESC with a cap only supporting 50v? Well, i did not buy such a product and will have a big problem because i just ride on 12S.

Do you have an idea on how to handle my problem if i should get a 50V version of my 3 ordered and shipped ones?

Hi, if someone is not confortable with the capacitors delivered with the VESCs and have access to an electronic components store, just buy new ones and substitute them. I don’t think is that expensive if someone feels better and thinks is the right thing to have.

Well, normally i wont complain it that much… but this time i am a bit mad…

One delay hunts the next delay … ok, the VESC is fairly new and so on but @onloop could have told the costumer that they change something in the product! He did not.

Now i have payed for a product which i dont get as described. That is what i dont like. Now you tell me that i should take responsibility for others faults?

To put it in a netsheel: I am not totally freaking out. i am just a bit mad about the behavior!

3 Likes