VESC FAQ | Connect The Nyko Kama wireless wii NunChuck

The wires are green, blue, red and black. That just illustrates plugging a 6 pin connector into a 7 pin port. Im looking for the sequence for the wiring. Without realising there was a 7th pin I soldered it on from bottom to top leaving 2 pins after the red and I get no power to the Nyko PCB.

According to the top of this thread: Red = VCC -> VCC Black = GND -> GND Green = Clock -> RX_SCL Blue = Data -> TX_SDA

Schematic for 4.11 here.

3 Likes

@jacobbloy …i got the jst connection pin but the receiver still seems to drop out every now and then is this a issue in the Bdlc tool R should I solder to improve connection also I was thinking maybe it could be a sensor problem I am using a unsensored motor and hall sensors cannot be detected when I do a motor detection… but it seems to connect somtime when i get to rolling good and the controls kick in but im scared they would lose signal at a crucial time is this a easily fix problem also i would like to add every connection seems pretty secure

Did it loose signal from timt to time i just did mine threw connectors and it goes in and out i thought signal would be a little more solid whats your thoughts? Please help

Hello everyone, I soldered my kama PCB to the VESC as instructed. The nunchuck connects instantly without a problem. Unfortunately I can’t get the display in the BLDC tool to move from 50%. I have watched Ben’s videos and followed along but it still doesn’t work. The led on the PCB blinks once when I hit the Z or C buttons but does nothing when moving the joystick. Could this be a problem with the actual nunchuck?

1 Like

I just remembered that I have my wires looped about 6 turns through a toroid. maybe that’s why I dont get dropoouts.

2 Likes

Can we see some pics of that when you get a chance?

@skillerftwer it sounds like you’ve got the receiver wired properly, and that your remote is syncing with your receiver. Have you made sure to select “Nunchuck” on the “App Configuration > General” tab in BLDC Tool? You also have to go to the “App Configuration > Nunchuck Tab” and select “Current” or “Current with Reverse.” Whenever you make a change in BLDC Tool, you have to “write configuration,” and I usually reboot VESC after as well.

@treenutter Thanks for the reply! Yep, that’s how I was attempting to set it up before. Went back and did those steps again just to be sure but, still nothing. Going to take apart the nunchuck and see if anything is loose. I’ll also resolder the connections just to eliminate that possibility.

@lowGuido does a toroid perform the same function as a ferrite ring?

yeah, toroid. ferrite ring. same same.

1 Like

Got a new nyko kama, didn’t fix the problem. I think it’s the VESC. I had a PPM controller hooked up so I could test ride. This was working just fine up until I tried to connect the new kama… now the PPM powers up like normal and links the receiver to the controller but it won’t move off 50% similar to the Kama. I will try another VESC EDIT: PPM still works fine I just had it plugged in the wrong channel…

So instead of having to buy a 7 pin connector, I can connect 6 pin to this connector?

Yes, as long as you avoid these pins:

adc2 5v adc

1 Like

No i dont think so bro. You still put it in the 7 pin one.

1 Like

He circled the 6 pin connector in the pic. So no! Dont connect to that one. Just use the 6 pin connector in the 7 pin slot

1 Like

Hey @siggs3000 Move your 6 pin connector over one pin and you should be able to get a connection. As it is now the dongles 3.3v wire is connected to GND on the VESC. Basically you want to hug the other end of that 7 pin jst port.

1 Like

Oh son of a bee sting… I’ll remove my pic so it’s not misleading for future visitors! Thanks @chaka!

(I still want the badwolf when it’s ready to rock though :slight_smile:

1 Like

can someone please post a pic of the 7 pins marked so this isnt so confusing?

Here you go!

7 Likes